A bill to require the Govt. to consider military training for Govt issued licenses

I agree with that. Especially if it is the same facility and staff, there should be someone with the authority to make a judgement call and approve it.

And no one is saying that they don’t, but how does the nmc know it is equivalent if the military doesn’t prove it by submitting their course curriculum for review? Faith?

The RECs actually have a fair number of coast guard there, at least charleston does. Then again, that rec is on a uscg base…

The NMC is not coast guard but is run by the coast guard. The NMC is not refusing to accept “their training”, they won’t accept the coast guard’s training because the coast guard won’t submit courses for approval either.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;66664]And no one is saying that they don’t, but how does the nmc know it is equivalent if the military doesn’t prove it by submitting their course curriculum for review? Faith?[/QUOTE]

Exactly… this pecker checking about who’s bigger, who is in charge, and Mine is bigger than yours is a constant military issue, between arms of the military. One branch having control over others is ludicrous. The CG having to have ‘evidence’ from another branch is BS.

It’s funny. I feel a great sympathy and respect toward men and women who have ‘served’ for our country. There is a movement afloat (that occasionally gets re booted to the top of the discussion ladder during, shortly after conflict) to ‘reward’ our veterans, acknowledging their service and giving preference to them in hiring. GREAT idea. Then we have Uncle Sams Confused Group playing the ‘We are smarter than, We are better than, and We know more than all the rest’ role of overseer of this industry.

Then to top it off, these same guys who matriculate up and out of the CG, then enter industry on our tax dollar pension and take someone else job who actually NEEDS one. Talk about ungrateful!

CommTuna you are correct about your assertion that there are TWO branches of the CG. I in no way am referring to the waterborne side. But as you know, to advance to get your 20+ years they force you to rotate ashore, and if you don’t ‘drink the koolade’ in all likelihood you won’t be ‘re upped’ next time.

I heard from my Chief when he worked at another company about ISO, ISM. The company set up a ‘minimalist’ ISO program. The guy who trained them let it be known: ‘Any ISO/ISM program can be as simple OR as complicated as you want to make it.’ With that thought in mind: How complicated has the USCG ‘made’ our industry? How complicated is your companies program? How many more people have been hired at your company just to create, enact, apply, and monitor your program? Has that actually made life safer/better for your fleet?

[QUOTE=cappy208;66671]
It’s funny. I feel a great sympathy and respect toward men and women who have ‘served’ for our country. There is a movement afloat (that occasionally gets re booted to the top of the discussion ladder during, shortly after conflict) to ‘reward’ our veterans, acknowledging their service and giving preference to them in hiring. GREAT idea. Then we have Uncle Sams Confused Group playing the ‘We are smarter than, We are better than, and We know more than all the rest’ role of overseer of this industry.

Then to top it off, these same guys who matriculate up and out of the CG, then enter industry on our tax dollar pension and take someone else job who actually NEEDS one. Talk about ungrateful!
[/QUOTE]
Your despise of the CG shouldn’t be directed towards veterans who get out and want a fulfilling career in the maritime industry. The policy-makers in D.C. (or the “We are smarter than, We are better than, and We know more than all the rest’ role of overseer of this industry” as you like to call them) aren’t the ones “taking” your jobs. Myself, I will be a BM2 when I get out with NO PENSION. I have a distinct love for the sea and wish to spend my life on it while making a living for my family. I proudly serve my country and because of that I should be criticized for when I try to find a job in the private sector? How dare you associate someone such as myself or even BMCSRetired (who actually is taking a pension) with the same people that are “ruining” your industry. You feel that people like him and I have no right being employed in your industry?

Morale of the story, the policy-makers ARE NOT THE PEOPLE TAKING YOUR JOBS.

Ungrateful for WHAT exactly, Cappy? Paying for medical care I was promised I’d receive for free if I did my 20? Or ungrateful that I NEED to work to pay my bills because MY pension such as it is won’t come CLOSE to paying all my bills? It’s the ungrateful like YOU that seem to think I just whistled fuckin’ Dixie and skated for 22 years and somehow NOW get a pension for Defending YOUR Right to say such STUPID SHIT that makes me a WEE bit petulant. But ungrateful? No there ain’t an ungrateful bone in my body.

BMC(SW), United States Navy, Retired

I’m not sure how well the Navy and CG take to the idea. This might have a positive effect for recruitment, but negative effect on retention.

Y’all missed the point. And I apologize. I paint with too broad a brush sometimes.

The ones I am referring to are the ones who spend the last 10 or 15 (depending upon how their career path went) making, promoting and enacting the laws then retire, and go out into industry enforcing them, and then using their connections IN the CG to move things in their direction.

Two examples. A Captain of the port, retires. Then forms his own company to sub out the compliance ISO crap. This is soley at his interpretation, and he has the companies he has agreed to contract for spinning in their shoes trying to dance to this MIL Speak crap he promotes.

1. Now I am alert enough to realize that this guy has spent 30 years in the CG. I know he isn’t a dummy. BUT, I know that his relentless self promotion is only self serving, and this ‘level of involvement’ is BS. This is unneeded claptrap put out by ‘some’ who use the avarice of both personal and financial need over and above what is necessary to accomplish the job. (Boy doesn’t THAT sound like someone in the Military who is just riding the system) What is the name for that? You being a Senior Chief are well acquainted with finding these assholes and making life difficult for them. Remember any? It is just that these DC desk jockeys are NOT what is needed.

2. A company safety/ compliance officer is hired. He has over 20 in. Now he get the company up to speed, starts enacting policy that is not required (but he thinks it is, or would be ‘good’ if it was enacted) Then he leaves and goes BACK into the CG for another helping. Wait a sec. There aren’t any other full time guys in who are looking for that billet? There aren’t any other guys who are looking for these jobs in the civilian sector? there aren’t any other guys who are tired of shipping out and would consider going into the office, to ‘free up’ a berth at sea?

As CommTuna said, there are two distinct sides to the CG. I am specifically referring to the DC side. I will try to use a narrow brush next time I get on the soapbox.

Well it seems you should divert your frustration towards the companies that do the hiring, not the individuals themselves.

Whats the saying? Oh yea, [I]“Don’t hate the player, hate the game.”[/I]