3rd mate MSC

No you are correct. Brand new out of mass maritime. Great advice! I appreciate everything very much

The part about listening and respecting the Unlicensed is huge, as previously indicated. They have been there longer than you, and although they are not an officer they usually will know how to do their job. If the old man or other mate’s don’t take issue with what they do or how they do it, go with the flow. On deck, follow their lead. Thats of course given that you aren’t to be their friends, but their supervisor to a degree. You’ll get a lot done when you don’t break balls over stupid stuff and can take some harassment at first. Bottom line is that your schooling and license is just a foundation to learn from. “I know what you’re talking about but show me how you expect it done on this ship” in whatever words you want will work wonders.

I agree with you

Others have mentioned it and how could I have forgotten to? The unlicensed at MSC are frequently ex-Navy and have a heck of a lot to teach you - especially about the Navy-centric ops. Listen and learn!

[QUOTE=LauHalaLana;95880]Leave the semi-significant other, leave the car, take a job that none of the long-serving slugs like, such as WestPac or the Middle East. Bank the money, learn your job and then the Second Mate’s job, ask lots of questions, and stay out for a minimum of six months for your first two tours. After just over a year with MSC, you will be ready to get the Second Mate license and actually do the Second Mate’s job.

Come back after vacation and upgrade, repeat, get them to fund your upgrade classes to Chief Mate. Once you have your Chief Mate’s license and have paid them back in time served for the training, figure out what you want to do.[/QUOTE]

I was just on an Oiler with MSC and this was the 3rd Mates and 2nd Mates plan, upgrade, get lots of training and then get the hell out of MSC. The job with MSC isn’t that bad but the rotation sucks.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;96834]I had a fair amount of experience when I first joined as third mate. The first 24 hrs were tough, the next 24 hrs were tough but not as bad. After thatI it was ok. I did have a hard time with the log as was mentioned, a lot more writing then the commercial side, I can type, but I can’t hand write for shit.

I did catch some grief about my uniform, (or the lack of it) with one captain but the other captains were ok.

K.C.[/QUOTE]

Ships Deck Log is typed on a PC aboard MSC vessels.

Anyone know what the training schedule is in NEO/ jersey for deckies?

I.e. mon-thurs 8-4?

[QUOTE=ZacharyCharles;99613]Anyone know what the training schedule is in NEO/ jersey for deckies?

I.e. mon-thurs 8-4?[/QUOTE]

That’s about the right schedule, but add about a 40 minute bus ride on the front and back. Hour lunch…take your own or it’s vending machines or roach coach.

I was just hired by MSC back in June 2012. NEO will be in Norfolk, VA and will last 5 days. After that you will most likely head to New Jersey for 2 months to sit through training in various topics like fire fighting, basic safety, CBR defense and small arms. Once you complete that, you will either get an assignment from Jersey (unlikely) or head back to Norfolk to sit in the pool and wait until your name is called. I was there for 3 hours while some of my colleagues were there for a few weeks. Your first month just try to tackle some basic stuff already mentioned such as the ship’s logs, DHAMS (payroll), SMS procedures, bridge responsibilities and watch duties. You will be responsible for you and your fellow watchstander’s payroll inputs. On the typical MSC vessel you will have 2 ABs and an OS on your watch. One lookout, one helmsman and one roving patrolman while underway. Underway watches are straight forward for the most part. You will probably get some collateral duties such as CBR-D officer, MWR officer, etc. They are good opportunities for overtime so welcome anything they throw your way. The Chief Mate will most likely assign you to do some inspections, like lifeboats, liferafts, rescue boats, EPIRBs, SARTs, etc. Those are great opportunities to learn. When you’re in port just read bridge equipment manuals and become familiar with everything on the bridge. It will come in handy later down the road. Pay special attention to all work being done on deck. Many things will have an SMS checklist that you wouldn’t expect. During maneuvering details (arrivals, departures, UNREPs, VERTREPs) you will be the helm safety officer. Your duties there are keeping an eye on the helmsman. Making sure he stays on the correct course, and executes the correct rudder orders. You will personally be controlling the throttle and bow thruster all while keeping the bell book. It can get overwhelming the first time, but once you get the hang of it, its actually quite easy. If you have any specific questions, just post them. If I think of some more useful information, I’ll make another post. SEE YOU IN THE FLEET!!!

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;99846]That’s about the right schedule, but add about a 40 minute bus ride on the front and back. Hour lunch…take your own or it’s vending machines or roach coach.[/QUOTE]

You are looking at a few weeks of class depending on how bad they need a relief somewhere.
Small arms and SST
Helo FF
Damage Control.
CBRD and or CBRD officer

You can go to the training center east schedule(on MSC website http://www.msc.navy.mil/civmar/training/TCE-FY-2013-Schedule.pdf) and see whats there during your planned arrival and that will give you a good idea of what they may stick you in.

Dont sweat the log once you get to the ship. They use Emprise Ships log. All in digital form. It is very user friendly after you figure it out.

Get used to dealing with the former USN blowhards;). They will be in most of your classes in Freehold, so you will get the intro course to people relations before you make it to the fleet.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the help and advice!

Great place to get your career off the ground, you may even learn to love it as I did regardless of the “cons”. Quick to get the unlimited tonnage time and licenses, stay the course no job is perfect.

I did the same thing, sailed for them straight out of school a bunch of years back. Stay there long enough to upgrade, collect experience and move along. The pay actually isn’t all that great, you just work more. Read that sentence again. If I worked a day rate at my current job for 10 months a year instead of 6, MSC would look like chump change, but I decided that my off time was more valuable than slaving away and was willing to essentially buy it back. Take advantage of the unlicensed veterans, the good ones have a lot to teach you and you should listen up. 3/m at MSC was one of the easiest jobs I have ever had, you’ll do fine. A lot of good advice here so I won’t really add to it, just keep your head on straight and ask questions when you don’t know something. Your first ship is always going to be nerve-racking no matter what, but that’s a good thing because you’ll be on your toes.

As far as pre-deployment training, it depends how badly they need you. My NEO class had a group of engineers and some of them went straight to a ship with zero training. Others spent 8 weeks re-doing basic fire fighting and such just because. I think I did 5 weeks; helo fire, basic fire, CBRDO, damage control, and small arms.

Hey everyone-

Went for my physical today and I have a question… Would I be denied being “fit for duty” for being 6’ 1.5" @ 266 LBs? Although this sounds like a lot I have a lot of muscle mass and it really does not look like I’m “fat”; just a big guy.

Also I do one hour of cardio everyday and weight lift 3xs a week so I’m in great shape.

My blood pressure was slightly high for my age (22) but fine, and hearing and eyes were great.

Just hoping MSC wouldn’t deny me my Job for being a big guy…

Walang problema.

Hey everyone-

Just recently purchased uniforms for MSC. 1 long and 1 short sleeve (wrangler type) shirts and 2 pairs of khaki pants.

Just was wondering how strict MSC is with the uniform? I got the khaki pants at old navy and look like navy khaki colored pants but the shirts are a slightly off color from the pants but are the closest I could find. The academy I went to does not issue khakis anymore…

Hello, I worked at MSC for 6 years, all unlicensed time. Yeah you make money, but getting relieved on time is a joke. I left them in 2008 got tired of the games. Go ck it out, see some places, make some money, then decide for yourself. I worked union after MSC, now I am in the GOM. You have to decide what works best for your life. Oh the uniforms, most mates I knew wore Dickie’s brand and that was OK. Some Capt’ let you wear short sleeve Dickie’s khaki coveralls. Good luck.

My last ship the Captain & Mates all wore Dickies brand khakis. The Chief Mate wore an MSC polo with Khaki pants often as well.

I’m gonna wear carhartt Khakis unless someone tells me otherwise. I wouldn’t be to worried at the worst we can always go to a NEX and get what we need.

One thing to be clear about MSC, when you consider how much they are actually paying you for your time, the rate is actually pretty poor. You simply work more, thats it. You will earn more (often far more) with per day with any other reputable company than MSC. You’re total income over the year might be less, but your time is valued more almost anywhere else.

There are a few good reasons to work for them, but put the paychecks in perspective.