3/M Duties during shipyard? (container ship)

I am curious what the duties of a Third Mate aboard a container ship would be[U] during a shipyard stay.[/U] I’ve tried searching google but no joy. Does anybody know what a Third Mate would typically do during shipyard period on any commercial vessel?

[QUOTE=Hunter56k;148879]I am curious what the duties of a Third Mate aboard a container ship would be[U] during a shipyard stay.[/U] I’ve tried searching google but no joy. Does anybody know what a Third Mate would typically do during shipyard period on any commercial vessel?[/QUOTE]

Stick to the contract. But be willing to get down and dirty for tank and hold inspections. Lots of humping safety shit to places where it can’t be stolen. Possibly nothing more than sharing night watchman duties with 2M.

I recommend you start drinking heavily and thoroughly enjoy your local seamans club’s “dancers.” Just wrap it up and butterfly as often as possible.

Rinse and repeat for as long as your wallet can handle. If this a foreign shipyard, you may not get this opportunity again. Every work tour is luck of the draw.

Unless the yard period is anything but a quick shave and haircut, the junior mates are flown home with the rest of the crew.

The 2nd and 3rd mates pack their gear and enjoy the flight back the the states.

[QUOTE=RichM;148888]The 2nd and 3rd mates pack their gear and enjoy the flight back the the states.[/QUOTE]

I figured the kid was only asking the question because he was told he was staying for the yard.

MLL and the like send non-essentials home just as often as they keep them. Gdansk, Turkey, Cadiz are good examples.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;148892]I figured the kid was only asking the question because he was told he was staying for the yard.

MLL and the like send non-essentials home just as often as they keep them. Gdansk, Turkey, Cadiz are good examples.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help. I’m on the fence about putting my card in for a ship that is going to the yard. (I banked vacation time to have the option to bid for this job) Word from the crew is that they are keeping everyone aboard, but some younger crew were asked to get off to allow more experienced crew to join for the shipyard.

[QUOTE=Hunter56k;148905]Thanks for the help. I’m on the fence about putting my card in for a ship that is going to the yard. (I banked vacation time to have the option to bid for this job) Word from the crew is that they are keeping everyone aboard, but some younger crew were asked to get off to allow more experienced crew to join for the shipyard.[/QUOTE]

Based on what you tell me… MMP contract.

the last part is confusing. If MMP, the company can not send home the 2m or 3m and then bring in another mate or mates. Once you get the job through job call process, it is yours until completion of dispatch, OR, If it goes to yard for a long time or long term lay-up the job is still yours for either up to 90 or 120 or 180 days (don’t remember exactly how long, but it is a long time) as long as you stay registered CE on the shipping list.

feel free to PM if you have questions.

IF the crew is being kept the work that is done by the crew (mates included) is stuff that can not normally done at sea or tasks required to assist the yard in getting work done. The C/M along with the C/E may create work lists. The lifeboats may need to be stripped if work is to be done on them. Tank manholes may be opened and more importantly properly closed afterwards. Tanks may need to be checked for debris and all items removed if there was work done on them.

Several years ago in China I watched the mate, bosun and AB’s sand and repaint the enclosed lifeboats after they were set on the dock. After 5 years in service the sun did a number on the finish.

If you plan to ask for time off to do a bit of sightseeing, you can plan to be sent home.

[QUOTE=Hunter56k;148879]I am curious what the duties of a Third Mate aboard a container ship would be[U] during a shipyard stay.[/U] I’ve tried searching google but no joy. Does anybody know what a Third Mate would typically do during shipyard period on any commercial vessel?[/QUOTE]

In the mid sixties I spent 48 days in the shipyard in Niteroi Brazil. Missile tracker,Marine transport Lines, USNS Rose Knot. Everyone stayed with the ship, MM&P mates and NMU crew.For the deck crew it was routine work, for the 3rd.mate it was lifeboats, flags, helping 2nd. mate correct charts, pubs etc. and a lot of time off. One watch off everyday, 1 mate, 2Abs & ordinary. Best two ships I was ever on USNS Rose Knot & USNS Coastal Crusader, weeks on end in Rio and Recife and a lot of time in Port of Spain Trinidad. Cost plus 10% contract, every hour of OT you worked the company received 10% of it. We used to work OT 1800 to 2200 every night in port and then go ashore. Great times for being a Merchant Seaman.