2692. Asking for a Friend

So, I happen to know that if you’re a tug and you part your tow wire, but recover the barge and all’s good, the USCG doesn’t require a 2692. Seems like it should be a bigger deal than that, certainly with potential for disaster, but whatever. However, I’m getting different opinions on other scenarios: First is if we lose one engine on a two-engine boat, the opinion around me is that no 2692 is necessary. Second is if we lose a gen set on a two gen set boat, no 2692 is necessary. Do you all have other opinions, either personally or from interactions with the USCG? Reading the instructions, it would seem that both of my scenarios should trigger a 2692.

1 Like

I would agree that both should trigger 2692s, my company has filed 2692s for situations like you’ve described and sometimes they get back to us and tell us it isn’t necessary. It depends on your relationship with them I guess. Sometimes we ask them directly, hey we had “x” happen would they like one? If you have a lot of back and forth with them and are always straight forward and provide detailed technical responses, they are happy to work with you. But, I’m sure there’s some operators who run into issues and never bother reporting it. I’m assuming you have a Port Capt or Port Eng who handles this stuff, if so whatever they practice, if it’s just you, go ask the USCG.

2 Likes

Generally, when in doubt- file. Also, some OCMI’s also want to be notified ASAP by telephone- especially for personal injuries, pollution incidents and major breakdowns. Although sometimes not required- I have found (both aboard ship and as management ashore) that it’s better to be proactive and fast in your notifications…

3 Likes

CG Investigators say that any breakdown/repair of propulsion, power, steering systems that are not manufacturer required PMS, or during a S/Y period, require a 2692. If a gen set drops out and you loose power for a few seconds, until the backup kicks in - 2692. I saw an engineer get a letter of warning for just that situation, for not reporting it. Then, if you do report everything, they investigate why you have so many breakdowns. You can’t win with them. They don’t even tell you they’re investigating. You may get a letter out of the blue with a letter of warning has been placed on your license, with no recourse.

2 Likes

If you aren’t sure it’s probably best to write one up anyway.

1 Like

A Mechanical failure of any main engine requires a 2692.

1 Like

Good communication and teamwork between the engine department and the deck department will avoid getting tagged for not filing a 2692.

As a general rule the only time that happens is when the deck department or the engine department have a stick up their ass and are refusing to work effectively with each other.

I would not take a chance. If in doubt submit anyway. It is not worth the trouble that you will get
if USCG finds out and you did not submit.