2 years for a 200t vs 4 years for 500+ towing endorsement, is it quicker to start working after two years?

Most are. But, you can’t work as Mate on a towing vessel with Mate of Towing Vessels and there is no easy path from Mate 200 GRT to Mate TV. For Mate 500 GRT or Mate 1,600 GRT, you can work as Mate of towing vessels with 30 days on a towing vessel and completing a Towing Officer Assessment Record (TOAR). That crossover path doesn’t exist for Mate 200 GRT.

You’re right, and the “Mate 200” license is for Mate LESS than 200 GRT.

Read tugsailors advice three times. Get the biggest license you can. Will be much better than dragging behind and fighting uphill for many years to upgrade. From a former hawsepiper.

Okay, then how hard is it to upgrade from a 200 to 500 ton? I don’t like the idea of spending another two years not doing what I want to do. I am also interested in developing other skills, and I think the time off from tug shifts, while also in the process of upgrading, would be valuable.

You could go the NMC website and look at the checklists for 500 Ton.

Be careful what you wish for, out of about 10 deckhands that I have had beating their chests saying that they would get a license, only one actually succeeded. One guy got killed, the rest washed out when they saw the commitment to education and training they had to make.

You could get a job on a tug tomorrow and start studying for the apprentice steersman exam but you will be playing catch up, and will eventually have to attend some schools to become licensed. I promise you it will take longer than the two years at a school.

Even if you do manage a back door 200 to 500 license, that doesn’t mean you will be employable. Tug companies want to see tug experience and references, especially when hiring officers.

1 Like

You’ll need 720 days total sea time for the 500 time license and having graduated from MMA’s 2 year program why count for any of that. You’ll only have the actual days you spent on your one co-op and a few days on vessels from various labs. That leaves you short at least 620 days required for the 500 ton.

That’s the whole point of going to a maritime school, learning the maritime trade.

1 Like

Absolutely!

Do what tugsailor said. The tugboat industry isn’t going anywhere and you’ll regret not having a bigger license. Two years isn’t a long time and most likely you’ll be working deck regardless. Most tug companies won’t “train” you for free unless you mean spending time on your off watch in the wheelhouse and that’s assuming you get with the right crew. Slow down, finish school. In 20yrs the measly amount you would have earned by skipping school will be pennies compared to your max earning potential with a 3M out of school…

2 Likes

Started as a young fellow a green deckhand. First license was “Operator”. Progression from there was a dogfight.You still have to wait your turn. Having license no matter what type does not entitle you to the respected position. No regrets, In todays environment and regulations, a much tougher and longer road. Again …Tugsailor nailed it.

1 Like