Technical Terms with Intersting Orgins


Studying about improved high lift safety valves I come across a new word which I like very much:

Dirling (as in dirling action, a description of how the valve should operate). Also spelled ‘dyrlyng’. An old Scottish word for a thrilling sensation or vibrating motion. Used to describe the feeling of being in love.

Any more technical terms with interesting origins?


The noise the anchor makes when it hits the water.


Don’t be sorry, unless you don’t know the sound it makes when it comes back up. Then you aught to be.


I’m surprised you didn’t include the “huddling” chamber.

Snifter valve … the sound it makes when functioning.

Grasshopper. The connecting rod of particular style of beam engine.

Peckerhead … the wiring junction box on a motor or generator … comes from an old term “pickerhead” part of a fruit picking basket among other applications.


So much of our language comes from seafaring.


POSH - Port Out, Stbd Home.


I think that’s been debunked.


But backronyms are great. Learned one today.

ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming.




This lot is a good mardle. (Old word from East Anglia meaning to waste time)