Jobs available for a woman (?)

[B]What kind of jobs are out there for a woman who is interested in this field?[/B]

I’m 24 years old; I have a Bachelor’s Degree–I have just always been fascinated with jobs that are not too common to what I am used to.

There are women in all aspects of the merchant marine- captains, engineers, deckhands, etc. Most position will require an mmd (merchant mariner document) via the coastguard-
If you don’t have an mmd you can still work inland- i/e on rivers- but not out at sea.

American Cruise lines is actively hiring- no mmd needed.

Their website is americancruiselines.com. Cruise lines are usually easier to get hired at- but pay less.

It would give you a chance to see if life on a ship is something you like.

take care-Anthony

Thank you for the response :slight_smile:
I would like to try to find something available for the summer. Currently I am working; however, it always takes planning and finding out: 1)who to ask, and 2) how to get started.
The men in my family work in wireline, but didn’t seem to be too interested in answering my questions of pursuing a job like this and/or any that isn’t too common for a woman to work at. lol

If you’re looking for something for summer- apply now.

Lots of people work cruise ships for just a summer.

Every ship I’ve been on has been about half female. This is less true on other types of ships- but in general what matters is your attitude and how hard you work. A sailor is a sailor- regardless of sex.

If you need help applying- or want more contacts- shoot me an email.

I just signed on to this site–I do not know how to use all of the features of it yet.

Ok, I was under the impression that there weren’t many women (especially NOT half). It does not matter to me, i just wouldn’t want to be unrealistic in whether or not they get hired to doing something much more than a cook and/or janitorial.

Im not interested in cruise lines…that is much too entertainment driven than true industrial work.

The marine field has lots of opportunities for women, from ordinary seaman on up to captain. If you would like to try your entry into yachts, try nwmarinesolutions.com. If you are looking for jobs that are a little different and not all at sea, try cooljobs.com. The small passenger vessel industry is full of entry level positions, try www.cruisewest.com or www.amsafari.com for their employment links. Good luck.

Ashley - What part of Southern Louisiana are you in?

There are several excellent resources for you to gain more information on Maritime Careers in general, and more particularly the Oil and Gas Industry which as you know is big in Louisiana. Give me an idea of where in LA you are, and I’ll try to steer you in the right direction.

Can you cook?:rolleyes: Would you be willing to start off with an entry level job?:eek: Give us a bit more info on what you’d like to do as well.:slight_smile:

I think the unfortunate reality for you is that you are only entry level and thus competing with a whole lot of “people” for a very entry level jobs. We are in an uncertain time in the maritime industry so companies aren’t hiring inexperienced people as they were a couple of years ago. Most companies (offshore or towing) really want experienced and certified to fill their openings so you are in a Catch 22 situation. If you did go the small cruise vessel route you might get the experience needed to someday make the switch to industrial vessels.

If you do go small cruise vessels then you might have to start in the cabin before you can get to the deck but if you are ambitious and make sure the captain knows how much you want to move to the deck openings do happen and you would get your chance. At that point, you might be on your path. All this however will take time.

You may get a benefit being a woman if there is a company out there you wants for political reasons to show they have women mariners on their vessels but I do not know who those would be.

You might also think about finding a school that offers a USCG approved Basic Safety Training course. That certificate could be the difference between getting a job or not.

Best of luck to you whatever path you choose.

I’m in Iberia Parish: New Iberia.
Of course I can cook :slight_smile: That just would not be something I’d like to do for a job. If I wanted to cook, I could easily do that on land and bypass the hardships of it all @ sea. wink

But, I’m awaiting what more information you can tell me.
Thank you for even responding. lol

being where you are check out Louisiana Technical College Young Memorial Campus in Morgan City

getting entry level training there might be what you will need to get a company to say OK

What is your degrees in? Is it something that could compliment a sea going career and help you get a foot in the door? You said you were wanting to just test the waters with a summer job first, probaly a wise choice. Would you be willing to relocate for the summer?
The state ferries could be an option and there are lots of harbor lunchbucket boats(boats where you work 12 hrs. on and go home for 12 hrs.) up and down the river. These would also offer you the advantage of not having to wait for your MMD application to be processed which can be quite lengthy or have to pay the fees that go along with it. You do not need a MMD to work Inland.
There are also the sternwheelers in NOLA, they use real deckhands and employ summer help, and working on a real stern wheeler is something not everyone gets to do.

good luck

Ok, I will definitely look into that. This may sound silly/crazy, but can a captain take on someone–on his own?

Relocating? No–not thinking of that. Not into leaving La, and my major has absolutely nothing to do with seeking a job in maritime. I just figured that I could have been trained for anything easily, and/or get “on the job” training–as it seems how most industrial jobs are.

Another option is Tall Ships (old wooden sailing ships). Not really an in for the maritime industry but it’s a good time. I’ll tell you up front, the money is absolute shit. But if that’s not a concern most of the jobs are live aboard and food is paid for. You don’t work on those ships for the money though, you do it because you love being on these old ships. A good place to start looking is the American Sail Training Association’s Billet Bank. I worked on them for several years before I started going to Cal Maritime. In fact that’s what steered me away from being a combat engineer in the marines into this industry (a wise decision in hindsight). I’ve also made some of my best friends on these ships, tall ship sailors are about as good a people you can ever meet, hard working, honest, and not a greedy bone in their body (can’t with that job). Good luck with your search!

CMA_DECKY: That all sounds very good, but where exactly would I have to go?

Wherever the boat is currently at. In the spring there will be a lot of posts for crew to move the boats. A lot of them winter down south (keys, etc.). Just keep checking the ASTA Billet Bank.

I started out working on smaller sail training vessels and now I’m at a Maritime Academy (which you could complete in 2 years considering you have a bachelors already). The pay is pretty pathetic (but their mostly non-profits) but it is a riot, so much fun. The people you meet have to be one of the best parts.

Most tall ships operate on either coast or the great lakes. Most stay in one area for the whole season, most do multi-day living history or science trips with childeren from 13-18. If you click that link you can call the offices of the ships and figure out where they operate.

[quote=c.captain;7974]being where you are check out Louisiana Technical College Young Memorial Campus in Morgan City

getting entry level training there might be what you will need to get a company to say OK[/quote]

I went to the Memorial Campus for safety training that was required by Transocean. They also have a fun (and no i’m not sarcastic) HUET class or Helicopter Underwater Egress Training class.
So if you do want to go Oil & gas realize you probably will have to be dunked underwater in a helicopter replica and spun around a few times and be able to escape.
Also they have your basic STCW courses that you need.

[quote=argo;8218]I went to the Memorial Campus for safety training that was required by Transocean. They also have a fun (and no i’m not sarcastic) HUET class or Helicopter Underwater Egress Training class.
[/quote]
Yes, I have heard about the water safety session. A lot of guy friends I knew went through it. Some enjoyed it, others were terrified by it. LOL

Were you originally from La. or a transplant that came out here & received the credentials you needed?