Is it illegal to support unions?

Your friend still has a job albeit with a 12% cut but employed nonetheless. If this is unacceptable to him he is free to go find another job. Would he rather have no job and the remaining 88% of his pay reduced? Rescheduling rotations is a difficult task has he tried to speak to someone in his operations department?

[QUOTE=Jeaux Bawss;161326]Your friend still has a job albeit with a 12% cut but employed nonetheless. If this is unacceptable to him he is free to go find another job. Would he rather have no job and the remaining 88% of his pay reduced? Rescheduling rotations is a difficult task has he tried to speak to someone in his operations department?[/QUOTE]Typical Joe Boss attitude… and they wonder why people don’t like him

yeah a 12% cut on days worked, but if factor in all the days he has lost, what % of his regular pay will he actually make at the end of the year? Far less than %88, smoke and mirrors “only 12%.”

[QUOTE=Jeaux Bawss;161326]Your friend still has a job albeit with a 12% cut but employed nonetheless. If this is unacceptable to him he is free to go find another job. Would he rather have no job and the remaining 88% of his pay reduced? Rescheduling rotations is a difficult task has he tried to speak to someone in his operations department?[/QUOTE]

Of course he did.

He would rather guys working 67% of the year lose more days on payroll than one who works 50% of the year. More than fair.

Does that compute, Jeaux?

If he was already working even time how is he getting screwed? His schedule wouldn’t have been affected unless his vessel was stacked. In that case they are trying to find a new permanent spot for him unless he was sent home. These are trying times for us all. I wish I could promise a job to everyone but it doesn’t make financial sense to do so. The company has to be protected or no one will have a job. Why is this so hard to understand?

Glad I’m not the only one confused by these guys and their math.

Look guys. Most of us are really just happy to have a job and not be suckling at the teat of the unemployment line. We understand words like “downturn” and “oil price crash” and plan ahead for the volatility of our industry.

Here’s the math: the guy working 28/14 should take the hit losing days rather than the guy working 28/28.

[QUOTE=Jeaux Bawss;161331 … These are trying times for us all. I wish I could promise a job to everyone but it doesn’t make financial sense to do so. The company has to be protected or no one will have a job. Why is this so hard to understand?[/QUOTE]

Hey Jeaux Bawss, I have a few questions for you, which I hope that you’ll answer:

1. Why is it that you can form/join an union aka the chamber of commerce, etc, but the employees cannot form their union?

2. Why is it that you can have collective bargaining via your trade union aka chamber of commerce, trade groups, etc and lobby the govt for tax rebates, lowered overheads in the form of lower or practically zero unemployment insurance, right to fire, etc all paid for by the tax payers, which also includes from the taxes of your employees whom you so “care” about, but your employees cannot have collective bargaining with you for their salaries, severance pay, 401K, etc?

3. Why is it okay for you and your cronies in your union to lobby a senator against deep sea sailors (and you know what and who I am talking about), hitting them where it hurts most, their stomachs, but it’s not okay for the unions of deep sea sailors to come to the GoM & hit you and your cronies where it hurts the most, your wallets?

Now, that you have accepted it’s trying times for you and your business, pray tell us what sacrifices have you made?

Stopped spending in 6 figures on lobbying your favorite senator? Disbanded your union or gave up the membership to ANY of your trade groups aka unions to save money? Stopped taking your family out on holidays and working 7 days/14hrs a day? Started eating spam? What?

Pray enlighten us.

If employees wish to organize that is their right and I never stated to the contrary. I simply stated the union is unnecessary if you have honest and open communication between shoreside and the vessels. These unions are usually a hindrance to business when you have to make quick decisions to protect the bottom line. The company puts money in all of our pockets and must be protected. Why strangle the goose that lays the golden egg?

I fail to see how my personal spending matters here? My personal assets and the company’s assets are two different bank accounts. I can take my family on a vacation wherever I choose as you can do the same. If I asked why you feel the need to buy a brand new motorcycle that you don’t ride for half the year you would say none of my business. I am not one for conspicuous consumption anyways. I buy what I can afford and my family’s comfort is the main priority in my major purchases. You will counter that I can afford more than you. This is very true but remember I am more invested in the company than you. Therefore my share is larger. If you glad hand investors around the world and borrow millions from the bank you to can start a company. Then you can see the other side of the equation.

[QUOTE=Jeaux Bawss;161341]If employees wish to organize that is their right and I never stated to the contrary. I simply stated the union is unnecessary if you have honest and open communication between shoreside and the vessels. These unions are usually a hindrance to business when you have to make quick decisions to protect the bottom line. The company puts money in all of our pockets and must be protected. Why strangle the goose that lays the golden egg?

I fail to see how my personal spending matters here? My personal assets and the company’s assets are two different bank accounts. I can take my family on a vacation wherever I choose as you can do the same. If I asked why you feel the need to buy a brand new motorcycle that you don’t ride for half the year you would say none of my business. I am not one for conspicuous consumption anyways. I buy what I can afford and my family’s comfort is the main priority in my major purchases. You will counter that I can afford more than you. This is very true but remember I am more invested in the company than you. Therefore my share is larger. If you glad hand investors around the world and borrow millions from the bank you to can start a company. Then you can see the other side of the equation.[/QUOTE]

1. You state that the unions are unnecessary, but then form your own unions, lobbying against your own “cared” employees and their unemployment. What? No honest and open communication between you and your employees and the tax payer, now?

2. An employee union is a hindrance, is it? What about your union being a hindrance against the overall country? Ever thought of that? But, we should all toe your line, be understanding and eat the shit sandwich, right?

3. This is a 2 way street and like it or not, the employees are the goose, laying golden eggs which you’re killing for more $$$$ in YOUR pockets.

You fail to see how your personal spending matters, but yet, you’re willing to influence the personal spending of your “cared for” employees, as long as it does not affect your personal spending, right? Your personal assets starts flowing from the company’s assets, aided and abetted by your cared for employees, mister. No company, no personal assets. Savvy!

If your family’s comfort is your main prioirity, asshole, so is ours. You want us to not only take a pay cut, but also work less days. So, again, what sacrifice have you made that you’re demanding sacrifice from us?

You’re more invested in your company and us employees are not? Yeah!

Mister, go and read the posts of all the GoM supporters here, who after eating YOUR shit sandwich, are still backing you. So, you’re saying that they after being away from their families, missing out on anniversaries etc, have not invested their blood and sweat in the company, but YOU, in your air-conditioned office and sleeping in your own bed EVERY fucking night while playing golf and going to your daughter’s ballet recital, have invested more, is it? YOU laid off the employees, the employees did NOT walk way, CLEAR? You deserted them, the employees did not desert you. So, don’t talk about employee investment.

Anybody on this earth born with a fucking silver spoon in their wanking mouth can borrow millions from the banks. Big fucking deal.

Why don’t you see the other side and work as an AB on your own boat, without disclosing your identity, for even 1hour? Then come and tell us that we’re not invested.

A laborer can always find a job for his hands and tools. What about you, jeaux bawss? You can’t even get a no-bid fucking contract on your own merit or walk away from not paying 401K, without the help of your union and sucking upto some senator.

Fuck off, wanker.

• Updated - - -

Oh! BTW, how about answering my questions? And, if you’re not stopping your employees from forming an union, which after lobbying through your trade union bymaking it difficult for them to form one, if not outright illegal, then how about walking your talk and telling your employees BEFORE this week is out, that they’re free to form an union? Let’s read it in the news, showing us how much you “care” for your employees.

I am calling your dare.

CAN YOU WALK YOUR TALK, jeaux bawss?

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;161324]Another part of what is going on now is reorganizing schedules so that all who are retained go even time.

Just spoke with a former shipmate who took a 12% cut, and has worked less than a third of last 4 months. He’s been working even time for years and is getting screwed. I bet this is going on at every OSV company.

Good thing Jeaux Baas’s open door policy is working so well.[/QUOTE]

That can’t be with ECO. If so, I would question your friends integrity.

What’s the big deal about everyone posting about 401k matching. Without it that’s a 3% pay cut, if you look at as pay. I look at it as a perk. It’ll come back as soon as the industry rights itself. If you are Making over 100k and 3k is going to send you to the poor house, well sir you have bigger problems.

• Updated - - -

SMOKER - Join the Military then post the crap you are. You have lived a sheltered life. Stay off the man’s back, I’ve never been hired by someone who didn’t have money. How do you know he LAID them off. Maybe they failed a Piss test!!! Don’t start in with well, they increased the tests. We all know we don’t want a druggie out here working. What makes you so sure you are talking to an ECO person? I didn’t read all the post but was just curious.

[QUOTE=Jeaux Bawss;161331]If he was already working even time how is he getting screwed? His schedule wouldn’t have been affected unless[B] his vessel was stacked[/B]. In that case they are trying to find a new permanent spot for him unless he was sent home. These are trying times for us all. I wish I could promise a job to everyone but it doesn’t make financial sense to do so. The company has to be protected or no one will have a job. Why is this so hard to understand?[/QUOTE]

I hope you don’t do your own accounting. It was straight forward, but I guess Z-drive had to edumacate you.

I don’t think anybody on this forum (or in the GOM) expects the boat operator/owner to promise employment no matter what the cost, but long-term, quality employees losing time from a 28/28 rotation so that 28/14 people can be worked in to even rotation is ridiculous.

Another thing that seems to permeate this sector is this “his boat got got stacked” BS. The company’s boat got stacked and he works for the company. If he is a long term, good standing employee then he takes precedence over someone who is not and just happens to be on a boat that is working. Most boats are in and out of Fourchon at least once every 7 days… a crew change can be facilitated.

I saw this at GM as boats were getting tied up at Martin Fuel in B Slip (the GM yacht club), guys on the boat that I was on (contracted) were repeatedly saying things such as “I’m glad I’m not on that boat; they’re off hire.” This mentality is fostered by companies (many, if not most) who take their sweet time (weeks and weeks) in getting the quality, senior guys moved to working vessels w/o missing too many days on payroll. Too many guys get treated like they are part of Boat A or Boat B, and not part of the Company.

[QUOTE=AB Murph;161344]That can’t be with ECO. If so, I would question your friends integrity.

What’s the big deal about everyone posting about 401k matching. Without it that’s a 3% pay cut, if you look at as pay. I look at it as a perk. It’ll come back as soon as the industry rights itself. If you are Making over 100k and 3k is going to send you to the poor house, well sir you have bigger problems.

• Updated - - -

SMOKER - Join the Military then post the crap you are. You have lived a sheltered life. Stay off the man’s back, I’ve never been hired by someone who didn’t have money. How do you know he LAID them off. Maybe they failed a Piss test!!! Don’t start in with well, they increased the tests. We all know we don’t want a druggie out here working. What makes you so sure you are talking to an ECO person? I didn’t read all the post but was just curious.[/QUOTE]

NOT ECO.

If you’re OK with ECO not paying the match for 2014’s 401K match by simply sending out an email in Feb 2015 saying they aren’t matching… I can only assume you were orgasming while signing the “Loyalty Pledge.”

Please be sure to check out the details for ECO’s new open job as Loyalty Pledge Enforcer.

[QUOTE=AB Murph;161344] - - - Updated - - -

SMOKER - Join the Military then post the crap you are. You have lived a sheltered life. Stay off the man’s back, I’ve never been hired by someone who didn’t have money. How do you know he LAID them off. Maybe they failed a Piss test!!! Don’t start in with well, they increased the tests. We all know we don’t want a druggie out here working. What makes you so sure you are talking to an ECO person? I didn’t read all the post but was just curious.[/QUOTE]

EmmEffer, You don’t know shit about me. I have been an orphan since the age of 13. To survive, I’ve eaten food thrown on the streets and half eaten by squirrels, just to survive. In spite of that, I educated myself, my sister and got her married.

As for the military, let’s agree to not discuss that.

YOU want to eat jeaux bawss’s shit sandwich, be my guest, but don’t you ever dare preach to me about life or how I should be ecstatic about how jeaux bawss rams it up the back hole, all because of a fucking job.

Hey jeaux bawss, read that? Another supporter of your shit sandwich.

I think Linda Ronstadt wrong a song about you, it goes like this…

POOR, POOR PITIFUL ME…

[QUOTE=AB Murph;161352]I think Linda Ronstadt wrong a song about you, it goes like this…POOR, POOR PETIFUL ME…[/QUOTE]I have never heard that song can you hum me a few bars? I have heard this other song called “Poor, Poor Pitiful Me”. I guess Joe doesn’t give much to your education fund. It is easier to keep the workers down when they are uneducated.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;161350]NOT ECO.

If you’re OK with ECO not paying the match for 2014’s 401K match by simply sending out an email in Feb 2015 saying they aren’t matching… I can only assume you were orgasming while signing the “Loyalty Pledge.”

Please be sure to check out the details for ECO’s new open job as Loyalty Pledge Enforcer.[/QUOTE]

I’m not OK with it but I did have a business once in my life. I understand cuts and if the company not paying 3K to my 401k is what it takes for me to maintain my day rate then so be it. That’s less than a weeks pay.

I saw the LOYALTY PLEDGE ENFORCER JOB… I did get a smile out of it. :slight_smile:

I didn’t flinch on the signing, I hate the union.!!!

Hasn’t worked out good for the steel workers, maritime industry, GMC, DODGE, COAL and countless others.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=RespectMyAuthority;161353]I have never heard that song can you hum me a few bars? I have heard this other song called “Poor, poor pitiful me”. I guess Joe doesn’t give much to your education fund. It is easier to keep the workers down when they are uneducated.[/QUOTE]

I’m guessing it’s the same song…

AWESOME COMBACK FOR YOUR EDUCATION LEVEL!!!

[QUOTE=AB Murph;161354]I’m not OK with it but I did have a business once in my life. I understand cuts and if the company not paying 3K to my 401k is what it takes for me to maintain my day rate then so be it. That’s less than a weeks pay. I saw the LOYALTY PLEDGE ENFORCER JOB… I did get a smile out of it. :)I didn’t flinch on the signing, I hate the union.!!!Hasn’t worked out good for the steel workers, maritime industry, GMC, DODGE, COAL and countless others.- - - Updated - - -I’m guessing it’s the same song…AWESOME COMBACK FOR YOUR EDUCATION LEVEL!!![/QUOTE]In your case it would be be more like “Poor, Poor Pedophile Me”

My Point is made.

[QUOTE=AB Murph;161352]I think Linda Ronstadt wrong a song about you, it goes like this…

POOR, POOR PETIFUL ME…[/QUOTE]

Listen kid. If you don’t have anything pertinent to add to the conversation, then do us all a favor, sit on the sidelines and eat your shit sandwich, QUIETLY. Want some ketchup? And remember, according to him, you do shit for his co and least vested in the company’s well being. So, you’ve no voice.

Some very valid questions were asked from jeaux bawws and he adroitly tried to side step them. His true colors certainly came out on the previous page. All talk and no walk.

As for unions not working out for other sectors of the economy, especially coal and steel, like I said, sit on the sidelines, let adults talk and learn.