Current Turnaround times for USCG License Renewals

5 days from issued to getting it in the mail.

[QUOTE=seriously;136892]5 days from issued to getting it in the mail.[/QUOTE]

Good for you. Just in time!!!

Day 40 since sending everything in to Charleston REC. Still ready to be evaluated, license will expire 05/12/14. Looks like I will be unable to work, thank you very much hard working people at the National Maritime Center.

This performance chart must be seriously flawed. http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/reports/default.asp

[QUOTE=dmc;137101]Day 40 since sending everything in to Charleston REC. Still ready to be evaluated, license will expire 05/12/14. Looks like I will be unable to work, thank you very much hard working people at the National Maritime Center.

This performance chart must be seriously flawed. http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/reports/default.asp[/QUOTE]

There ought to be some way for them to expidite the license applications that are in danger of lapsing. I know that even with a passport, there are ways to get it done at the last minute (with an additional fee of courseā€¦ and maybe a trip to DC).

It would also be reasonable to allow your license to be valid as long as you submitted your renewal X days (30-60ā€¦ whatever they deem appropriate)ā€¦ before it expired.

For example, if your license expires on June 1, you would need to submit a renewal by May firstā€¦ If their system gets backlogged and it takes them until July 15th to process and issue your paperworkā€¦ your license is ā€œvalidā€ in the meantime. Not 100% sure how it would work if you had not given them everything they needed to review and THAT was causing the delayā€¦ but it seems like if you provided them with a technically complete packageā€¦ and it was just their backlog that caused itā€¦ that you should not have to experience a lapse in validity. I am also advocating that they get to set the advance application deadlineā€¦ heckā€¦ if they say you need to submit it 60 days in advance to guarantee it will be approved then fineā€¦ but since their goal is 30 daysā€¦ and you submitted yours well over that, you should have been able to rely on the hope that they would process it within or at least close to their goalā€¦ as long as you included everything they required.

I know that they have to stop short of guaranteeing that all apps will be processed within a certain time period (since they donā€™t control all the inputs)ā€¦ but renewals especially should be fairly straight forward.

Hopefully, they will pull a hail mary for you somehow. I saw someone else contacted their legislatorā€¦ congressmanā€¦ maybe you could try that? It sounds like itā€™s gonna cost you money before too long.

There is a way. They let you submit for renewal a FULL YEAR before itā€™s due. You can even have the issuance delayed. There is no excuse to have an issue with this system. We ALL know what it can be like to deal with the NMC, why risk it?

This.
Been doing mine 6 months in advance every since this system came out and I heard all the problems. Had mine held up for almost 3 months one time but it didnā€™t matter because it came with 3 months to spare. As messed up and disorganized as it may seem, there really isnā€™t anyone at the NMC to blame as we have been hearing about delays for the last 5 years.

[QUOTE=brjones;137108]This.
Been doing mine 6 months in advance every since this system came out and I heard all the problems. Had mine held up for almost 3 months one time but it didnā€™t matter because it came with 3 months to spare. As messed up and disorganized as it may seem, there really isnā€™t anyone at the NMC to blame as we have been hearing about delays for the last 5 years.[/QUOTE]

I understand thatā€™s the way it isā€¦ and thatā€™s the way to deal with itā€¦ just throwing out there that it would be nice if there were some changes/improvements. But, I would suspect that submitting early (really early) is the only way to guarantee you wonā€™t be left high and dry.

Exactly. Especially in our line of work where you donā€™t accrue any PTO or sick leave. Without the red book you are dry stackedā€¦

[QUOTE=rigdvr;137107]There is a way. They let you submit for renewal a FULL YEAR before itā€™s due. You can even have the issuance delayed. There is no excuse to have an issue with this system. We ALL know what it can be like to deal with the NMC, why risk it?[/QUOTE]

Unless Iā€™m missing something delayed issuance didnā€™t become law/rule until March 24, 2014.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/announcements/pdfs/postdating_mmcs.pdf

I didnā€™t realize you could ask for delayed issuance. Looking back I should have done that, looking forward I will send the next one in 8-9 months in advance.

[QUOTE=Saltgrain;137106]There ought to be some way for them to expidite the license applications that are in danger of lapsing. I know that even with a passport, there are ways to get it done at the last minute (with an additional fee of courseā€¦ and maybe a trip to DC).

It would also be reasonable to allow your license to be valid as long as you submitted your renewal X days (30-60ā€¦ whatever they deem appropriate)ā€¦ before it expired.

For example, if your license expires on June 1, you would need to submit a renewal by May firstā€¦ If their system gets backlogged and it takes them until July 15th to process and issue your paperworkā€¦ your license is ā€œvalidā€ in the meantime. Not 100% sure how it would work if you had not given them everything they needed to review and THAT was causing the delayā€¦ but it seems like if you provided them with a technically complete packageā€¦ and it was just their backlog that caused itā€¦ that you should not have to experience a lapse in validity. I am also advocating that they get to set the advance application deadlineā€¦ heckā€¦ if they say you need to submit it 60 days in advance to guarantee it will be approved then fineā€¦ but since their goal is 30 daysā€¦ and you submitted yours well over that, you should have been able to rely on the hope that they would process it within or at least close to their goalā€¦ as long as you included everything they required.

I know that they have to stop short of guaranteeing that all apps will be processed within a certain time period (since they donā€™t control all the inputs)ā€¦ but renewals especially should be fairly straight forward.

Hopefully, they will pull a hail mary for you somehow. I saw someone else contacted their legislatorā€¦ congressmanā€¦ maybe you could try that? It sounds like itā€™s gonna cost you money before too long.[/QUOTE]

I would have to say I agree with your comments. Sent a letter to Congressmen Lynn Westmoreland, he is on the oversight commitee for the NMC.

That just says they went from ā€œdelayed issuanceā€ to a ā€œpost datingā€ system.

I received my email giving me permission to test exactly 70 days/10 weeks after I submitted my request to the REC. I got the letter in the mail 4 days later and will test tomorrow. Now itā€™s my turn to move this along. All I have to do is pass 6 little ole testā€™s! Time to study some more!

What sucks is not being able to post date your medical cert.

turned in complete pkg/ application, medical,drugtest,recency, proof positive id for upgrade to 1600 master
on 4/16 in person Seattle REC got email off to WVA on 17thā€¦got notice on 25th thru securityā€¦got notice 5/03 med eval for upgrade and med card. issued and mailed med card 5/03 same dayā€¦now headed for finall evalā€¦donā€™t know how long till i am approved for testing. I also did not post date med certificate. Itā€™s in the mail and may not test till summer if I get called to work.

Professional evaluation assignment and review now taking 8 weeks.

Thatā€™s insane.

[QUOTE=New3M;137284]Thatā€™s insane.[/QUOTE]

Much to my dismay, I am trying to accept the fact that the NMC posted their performance reports indicating the turnaround times for processing licenses, are nothing more than another example of government lies and deception.

Prepare for 90 days or more for a license issuance or renewal on a perfect application. I am currently on day 43, three days before my license expires. Guess I might as well get used to the idea of being on a day to day vacation for at least the next 48 days. Now I know why some people say lots of expletives when talking about the NMC and its people.

I would like to see that report.

[QUOTE=Mullet Farm;137247]Professional evaluation assignment and review now taking 8 weeks.[/QUOTE]

I just got mine last week. I awaited PQEB for 25 days then my permission to test was issued within a day once I was being evaluated. I passed the test Tuesday and should receive my MMC within 7-10 daysā€¦so they say!

[QUOTE=seriously;137302]I would like to see that report.[/QUOTE]

Here ya goā€¦

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/reports/default.asp

Then click on performance report.