Corroseal Rust Convertor

What are using for nonskid? Some nonskid has steel in it & causes rust. Black diamond was a source of running rust for us.

Not that it matters but this may help some, we use crushed walnut shells for our non-skid that we mix in. Not sure where we get them from though.

We use those as well. No idea where the come from either. Walnut tree? Haha

It’s funny that you mention walnuts. We are currently working at a dredge site in San Juan. Where we put a line out when waiting for our orders are about a dozen walnut trees… Or at least that’s what the locals call them. It doesn’t look like a walnut but taste like one. Maybe I’ll start harvesting them for the non skid application.

Sounds like you got it made in the shade!

[QUOTE=rshrew;74836]Not that it matters but this may help some, we use crushed walnut shells for our non-skid that we mix in. Not sure where we get them from though.[/QUOTE]
crushed walnut shells great for non-skid but expensive, they have been cleaned and washed. and tumbled. engineers used them in the turbochargers to help burn carbon build-up i think

When I was a full time diesel mechanic years ago. I would use Bon Ami to seat the rings in the old Detroits when the local Shrimpers wanted to get a few more trips in. It worked so well they didn’t want a inframe. They wanted Bon Ami.

Rust reformer is a Rustoleum product that chemically reacts with rust, has primer built in and can be covered with paint in 4-6 hrs. Works great and in my experience, better results than end rust or corroseal

Best stuff to keep steel from rusting Ameron Dimetcote

[QUOTE=leadline;78610]Best stuff to keep steel from rusting Ameron Dimetcote[/QUOTE]
Right on…But the best results come out if the proper procesures taken. ;

1. remove loose rust and wash the surface with clean fresh water.

2. And then wait for red rust and apply the Corroseal on.

3. The treated surface will be tanninized to protect under layer.

[QUOTE=leadline;78610]Best stuff to keep steel from rusting Ameron Dimetcote[/QUOTE]

Dimetcote is one of the best corrosion inhibiting primers on the market. But… it requires specific surface preparation. Products like Ameron Sealer and other penetrating epoxy products are much better for marginally prepared surfaces seen outside of shipyards and newbuilds.

Products like Ospho and Corroseal both contain phosphoric acid which makes used difficult on states such as California.

To remove rust stains look for caustic degreasers containing chemicals like sodium metasilicate. Walmart’s Super Clean in the purple jug is a good example. This stuff works well and does not etch paint. I also believe it is overlooked by the Vessel General Permit so you can still use it in California.

Any new technologies out there these days?

I’ve heard guys talk about “lifeguard” primer seems promising?

[QUOTE=z-drive;186425]I’ve heard guys talk about “lifeguard” primer seems promising?[/QUOTE]
We use Lifeguard as a rust converter. Good stuff. Superior to Corroseal, in my opinion. I’ve seen Corroseal slowly reacts with some epoxy paints. Use Lifeguard then regular primer or base coat over the top. We still use OSPHO to remove rust stains from intact paint.

[QUOTE=freighterman;186427]We use Lifeguard as a rust converter. Good stuff. Superior to Corroseal, in my opinion. I’ve seen Corroseal slowly reacts with some epoxy paints. Use Lifeguard then regular primer or base coat over the top. We still use OSPHO to remove rust stains from intact paint.[/QUOTE]

good to hear, maybe we will look into some. joe boss is usually cool about getting us whatever we want to try.