Anxiety medications

few years ago, on the OSV I was working on, we had a filipino mafia on board ( i use this phrase with admiration and affection.) one of the ABs prior to coming to the states, he was an unlimited master and academy graduate. he was great help when i was upgrading my ticket, helping me study.
he was content sailing as an ab, making around the same money he would if he was still sailing foreign flag deep sea.
i remember him telling me that the uscg would have approved him to get a third mates ticket but he obviously couldnt afford to do all the prerequisite classes and such. at the time he was in his early 60s and was just riding things out so working as an AB was fine with him.

2 Likes

I have had good experiences with Filipino immigrant ABs. They have good skills, they work hard, and they get along well with just about everyone.

1 Like

I have a boat load of them right now and couldnā€™t ask for a better crew really. Hard working, friendly, and a damn sight better than the quality of mariners we get on the OSVs in the gulf. Thatā€™s not saying much though I know, but still, damn fine mariners, that can fix darn near anything.

1 Like

Doctors and Iā€™m sure fed by cash giving Pharmaā€™s have resisted the Federal government getting involved in prescription data collection.
Its just allows massive abuse to go unchecked and dumb asses to go to multiple doctors to get drugs that shouldnt be taken together and oops, overdose death, not really just a mistake and or get into business selling them.
There are some things the Federal gov needs to controls and thats getting prescription data and which doctors are prescribing what.

That is actually impressive, USA as a nation is a high-functioning addict.

2 Likes

The government is starting to go after the pharma companies with lawsuits in a similar way to how they went after the cigarette companies. Two pharma companies have pushed most of the opioids pills with a big marketing program in the US.

Maybe because US-flag ships have to be manned by US citizens, with a few green card holders allowed?
That there are a few seamen of Pinoy origin does not make for much of a cultural difference. They are mostly Americanized anyhow.

Try sailing with a crew of Kanakas, then tell me about ā€œcultural differencesā€.

Maybe if I try speaking s l o w e r, or maybe use some sock puppets you may understand that US ships are more diverse than your misguided opinion but I highly doubt it.

My crew lists are typically 25-30% naturalized citizens and not all are as ā€œAmericanizedā€ as you think.

Iā€™ll leave it at that because this is getting off topic of the thread.

3 Likes

You are a goddamn maestro at pissing off Americans. Did you work with them in the early days of oil in Norway?

Maybe try singing it like sexual harassment panda.

IMG_3599

Not in the early days of oil in Norway, but in the early days of offshore oil in S.E.Asia and for many years after that in West Africa, Middle East and other places in the world as well.

I believe that 30% of the crew on US flag ships can be green card holders, but you say that ā€œon you crewlist 25-30 are naturalized citizenā€?

You may speak as SLOWLY as you want, but are you telling me that naturalized American citizens are somehow still not ā€œreal Americansā€?

When one little panda says they know more about my flag state than I do, that makes me a sad pandaā€¦

2 Likes

Real Americans every one of them. Different cultures and original nationalities as well.

Diversity. Look it up. I believe it was an old wooden ship.

3 Likes

And Kraken you are an enabler. Your well played bon mot regarding ā€œhigh functioningā€ only ennobled him to attempt same then fall flat on his tone deaf face.

1 Like

I donā€™t think thereā€™s a limit, I expect that all the unlicensed onboard can be green card holders.

Thatā€™s not what he said. Go back and read it again. (Try sounding out the words slowly if theyā€™re too big.)

2 Likes

OK I was wrong, it is only 25% foreigners allowed on Jones Act vessels:

Yes please for the benefit of globalization and international relationship, make sure you use only simple words and write them sloooowly so even foreigners can understand.

Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s probably supposed to read ā€œin Jones Act tradeā€ not vesselsā€¦ regarding coastwise shipping and not the vessel in generalā€¦ but if someone can quote me the ā€œchapter and verseā€ that says that about all Jones Act compliant vessels, Iā€™d appreciate it. (Not a dig at you ombugge, you just got me scratching my head now about something regarding this too.)

I do not remember the regulation and cannot look it up right now, but I think on small Jones Act vessels the unlicensed crew can be 100 percent ā€œgreen cardā€ holders. I have seen lots of recent green card immigrants, some of which speak very little English.

Read up on 46 CFR 15.

It has all the answers.