World War Two Freighter Scuttled Off Delaware

[QUOTE=c.captain;175797]although I am sad when any old warhorse is gone, what I want the know is if anyone knows what the vessel behind the SHEARWATER is? It looks like an old Army mineplanter just like the GALAXY was…or it an ex Navy ATF?[/QUOTE]

There were many pogie boats in the configuration of the SHEARWATER on the East and Gulf Coasts.

[QUOTE=injunear;175925]There were many pogie boats in the configuration of the SHEARWATER on the East and Gulf Coasts.[/QUOTE]

Pogie boats. . . two words that have a strong effect on my nasal passages. . . . can smell them now. . . . . sheesh. . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;176014]Pogie boats. . . two words that have a strong effect on my nasal passages. . . . can smell them now. . . . . sheesh. . .[/QUOTE]

Yep, From Miles Away. I will NEVER forget the first time I saw one or better explained as when I say SMELLED it!

The boats were bad enough but the plants cooking the catch were not so redolent. Also the fish oil we used for cable lube in the '70s came from the same cauldron.

[QUOTE=Steamer;175922]Good info c.captain. A little more background that you might know about. The AKL-17 (ex Army FS-289, ex New Bedford IX-308)used to make the claim of being the Reluctant. After an interesting career working for the Air Force supporting the Texas Towers off the east coast and as a torpedo test vessel out of Keyport before it showed up in Lake Union as the F/V Sea Bird. It was later sold and converted at the Marco yard for longlining in the South Pacific as the F/V White Bird.

I have some photos stashed away somewhere that I took while it was at Marco. It had a movie poster in the galley showing it was the Reluctant. Last time I saw the boat was in San Diego a few years ago. It had suffered a fire and was in pretty bad shape at that time but the crew claimed they were going to restore it and start some kind of eco adventure thing in Costa Rica … call me skeptical but that sounded like a death rattle.

I’ll dig out the old photo boxes and see if I can find and scan some. In the meantime take a look at this: http://patriot.net/~eastlnd2/rj/fs/fs.htm#Hewell[/QUOTE]

the BEDFORD was not the RELUCTANT but you will enjoy this:

A Movie Seastory That Bugged Me

btw, another famous Army FS in USN operation was the USS PUEBLO

in 1985 I was mate on the fish processor VICEROY which was an Army FS and have been following all the various old FS’s around the industry for years. Many are gone but there still are quite a few still plugging away up north in Alaska.

[QUOTE=injunear;176021]The boats were bad enough but the plants cooking the catch…[/QUOTE]
I have not eaten canned tuna since the first time I was at Terminal Island in San Pedro.

[QUOTE=injunear;176021]The boats were bad enough but the plants cooking the catch were not so redolent. Also the fish oil we used for cable lube in the '70s came from the same cauldron.[/QUOTE]

True story. . . sailing with Crowley out of Lake Charles, of course we took arrival at Cameron as we headed up the Calcasieu River. . . .We would take our arrival fuel soundings as we came into the jetties when it was calm enough. One day, I gathered up my paper brain, sounding plug wrench, Never Seize, sounding tape and fuel paste from my cabin and headed out on deck through the engine room. On the Invader tugs, the Microphor shit tank was just to the port of the door into the engine room, so this one particular day, I go trough the door and was just knocked out from the smell. . . .Crap, I think to myself, gonna have to check on the shit tank after getting fuel soundings. . . I make my way out on deck and see where I am. . . oh, never mind. . . . .