USCG Kulluk Hearing May 20th

[QUOTE=Steamer;110040]You don’t have to be an outsider to see that we are the newest banana republic. Rule number 1 for the beltway bunch is to operate in the dark when your retirement funding is at stake.

They used to be ashamed of shit like this but since they discovered that you and I can’t do a F’ing thing about it they don’t even bother to pretend anymore.[/QUOTE]

The problem is they do operate in the dark since the media does not know or care about anything that happens past the beach… and gCaptain does not have the staff or funding to do investigative journalism.

That said, times are changing. Important people do read this forum and are, very slowly, changing how they do business (for the better). And with advertising dollars on the rise I promise that most of the new money will be prioritized two ways: 1) to improve the site and 2) to bring aboard more people, like Mario, who aren’t afraid of uncovering the truth.

[QUOTE=john;110064]The problem is they do operate in the dark since the media does not know or care about anything that happens past the beach… and gCaptain does not have the staff or funding to do investigative journalism.

That said, times are changing. Important people do read this forum and are, very slowly, changing how they do business (for the better). And with advertising dollars on the rise I promise that most of the new money will be prioritized two ways: 1) to improve the site and 2) to bring aboard more people, like Mario, who aren’t afraid of uncovering the truth.[/QUOTE]

John, allow me to laud you on behalf of all of us unwashed untermenschen here for the stellar job you and your staff do. You have created something truly unique and of immense value with this site and I for one will support you forever in your efforts. If there is anything I can do for you (other than to click the banner ads) please do not hesitate to ask.

Where is Greenpeace and its lawyers?

It rather pathetic the we apparently need a group like Greenpeace to police the USCG.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;110066]Where is Greenpeace and its lawyers?

It rather pathetic the we apparently need a group like Greenpeace to police the USCG.[/QUOTE]

When you are fighting against an entrenched and powerful force of corruption, you use any weapon and any all allies you can muster.

Like John suggested, don’t just contact the local NPR station, contact NPR’s national news office as well, contact APR (American Public Radio) contact any newspaper that you have read that ever ran a story that made a case against government corruption and political incest with big business. Make sure you include links to this site and this story, make sure you mention how the Bounty soap opera was performed under the bright lights but this story, one that has very important environmental and economic implications, is being held in secret … ask why, demand an answer. Someplace there is a reporter who feels the same way and has access to a press or a microphone and can use that to embarrass the CG as deeply as possible. If we can’t pluck the wings off these vultures we should at least be able to expose them for the criminals, thieves, and company shills that they have become.

Protecting the reputation of their corporate masters while wearing the uniform of the United States should cost them their careers and pensions.

[QUOTE=john;110058]I didn’t say they barred us… I said they didn’t offer us a pass.

It may not be EOC that’s blocking it, may be the Coast Guard or Shell (we just don’t know). I do know some of the USCG brass (including the one wearing camo :wink: ) are no longer fans of gCaptain and are pushing for greater secrecy at all hearings. I also know that our Freedom of Information act requests for the release of information about previous hearings (e.g. photos of the Deepwater Horizon, Report on Survivability Of the DWH’s VDR, etc) has been denied (or, more accurately, put in Limbo) … but I don’t have any facts on why a press pass wasn’t offered in this case.

It could also be our fault. With OTC, trips overseas and the signing up of a bunch of new advertisers… it’s been a busy month and we failed to be proactive about this.

Last minute plane tickets to AK also happen to be expensive and we are still waiting for that RigZone sized check ;)[/QUOTE]

Wait! Rigzone was sold for $55 million!? Holy shit, thats a lot of money considering the only thing they do better is their job board.

John, do you still need investors? It may take a few years but I see a big check with gCaptain’s name on it and I want in :wink:

You sound surprised Jeff. You didn’t think those giant billboards in Houston were free… did you?

[QUOTE=john;110077]You sound surprised Jeff. You didn’t think those giant billboards in Houston were free… did you?[/QUOTE]
Make enough noise and OMSA et. al., may make you an offer you’d find difficult to refuse, but then you’d have to decide whether to be a website/journalist or a whore. That would be a tough decision if the money was in the millions but then there’s that other thing to think about.

For $55m, they can have gCaptain AND change my name to Roxanne :wink:

(Just don’t tell OMSA that I’d use most of that cash to launch hCaptain.com and really give them hell)

[QUOTE=“cmjeff;110074”]

Wait! Rigzone was sold for $55 million!? Holy shit, thats a lot of money considering the only thing they do better is their job board.

John, do you still need investors? It may take a few years but I see a big check with gCaptain’s name on it and I want in ;)[/QUOTE]

Well the company that bought them runs job boards…

I am sure the USCG is playing the Homeland Security/National Security Card. I am sure there was some deal with the USCG/SHELL for that tow and COGARD ALAKSA y don’t want to be embarassed.

I doubt ECO was part of that deal but I do know that USCG and ABS inspections on CHOUEST vessels got a little more “intensive” right after the KULLUK incident but have now returned to the normal level of complacency.

[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;110122]I am sure the USCG is playing the Homeland Security/National Security Card. I am sure there was some deal with the USCG/SHELL for that tow and COGARD ALAKSA y don’t want to be embarassed.

I doubt ECO was part of that deal but I do know that USCG and ABS inspections on CHOUEST vessels got a little more “intensive” right after the KULLUK incident but have now returned to the normal level of complacency.[/QUOTE]
Complacency? Of course with the USCG I can understand. As long as certain levels of promotion have to be approved by congress there is the “remote” possibility some big political donor could call his senators[s] and ask them to make a phone call or two to a by the book officer in order to remind them who controls the promotions. As far as ABS? They are a joke at USA shipyards already. A classification society that is driven by quarterly profits and bonuses is by its very nature ripe for influence and pressure.