USCG Issues Maersk Captain (Actually Chief Mate) 4 Month Suspension

A large majority of mariners do not face this issue because they’re accustom to professional atmospheres and are treated with respect. It’s a non-issue 99.9% of the time. Most organizations have training and hotlines posted throughout accommodations to cover gaps. If there is an issue, report it, escalate it, and remain anonymous if you choose. HR departments exist for a reason. Most people in general are pragmatic toward issues and realize there is a difference between reporting an issue when they see a problem, and advocacy. I don’t think many mothers are non-members of MADD for a lack of courage; it usually happens after they had a kid killed by a drunk driver.

That is a completely fabricated statistic and it’s wildly inaccurate. HR Departments do not exist to protect mariners. HR Departments exist to protect the companies. HR Departments suppress reports of misconduct in order to protect the company. That’s part of the reason why Stinziano is the first USCG-credentialed mariner, of which there are more than 200,000, to actually be punished for shipboard sexual misconduct via a USCG Suspension & Revocation trial in more than 25 years. Maersk’s legal department and HR department did everything they could possibly have done to protect Stinziano in order to protect Maersk. The only reason he is punished is because the 2nd Mate took matters into his own hands and went directly to the USCG. The companies coverup everything. The victims become problems for the companies. and it’s not just sexual stuff. Bullying, hazing, harassment, assault, mental torture are all huge problems in this industry and anyone who would deny that is simply a industry cheerleader with agenda that involves making the maritime industry sound like a wonderful place to work “99.9%” of the time.

2 Likes

No. Instead of getting defensive and assuming every comment is a dig on foreigners and an example of American exceptionalism maybe your should focus on reading comprehension.

1 Like

True, but “jokes” intended to demean and humiliate shouldn’t require clairvoyance to know the person the “joke” is about well feel demeaned and humiliated.

3 Likes

Let’s just say it’s 100% accurate in the context of my 30 year career and those that I’ve come to know professionally. If there is a big problem out there in the ether, you would be a good advocate. Just realize, I would not elicit feedback while at the same time question a mariner’s motives and say they have an agenda.

Did you read Melogy v. Maersk? Its a 95 page naritive written by 2M detailing the events and aftermath of this thread. In it 2M clearly describes his observations and concludes that laws are being broken.

An analogy: let’s say 2M walked into the engine room and thinks he sees a ‘magic pipe’. (A magic pipe is any device used to illegally drain oil into the sea.) 2M suspects the magic pipe is being used and he knows a magic pipe is illegal. What shall he do now? He shall immediately report the suspected law violation to the master, DPA or USCG. Failure to immediately report is a crime.

In the Melogy v. Maersk narrative, 2M clearly describes several actions by the chief mate and concludes those actions could be violations of law. What shall he do now? He shall immediately report the suspected law violation to the master, DPA or USCG. Failure to immediately report is a crime. It doesn’t matter what the crime is. He had a duty to report.

What did he actually do? For weeks he said nothing, reported to no one. He kept notes and compiled a report (which he eventually turned over to the master) all the while witnessing suspected sexual assault of others.

To make matters worse, in the Melogy v. Maersk narrative, 2M repeatedly describes why he didn’t report - because he thought it may hurt his career. He had a legal duty to report to the master but he did not.

In the Melogy v. Maersk narrative 2M describes an event four years later where he again has the opportunity to report the events and observations to the union. He is repeatedly urged to report. He writes that he knows that by not reporting, even four years later, that he would be enabling more offenses against others yet he choses not to report because he fears it may harm his career.

When did he finally report these suspected violations? When it was convenient for his career! He didn’t meet the requirements for application to the union. (He needed letters of recommendation from two different ships.) Instead of shipping out once more on a different ship and meeting the application requirements he tried to use the events four years earlier to request a waver. He only reported the incidents to advance his career! Not to help others. Not because he was obligated to as an officer. To help his career!

Here’s what we have: an officer who did not report suspected law violations to the master in a timely manner; a union applicant who refused to report on a member because he feared it could hurt his application; a person who finally reported suspected abuse because it might save some time applying to a union.

That is not a victim or a hero. That is not a responsible ship’s officer. That isn’t a good union brother, nor a good shipmate. That 's not a decent human being. That’s an opportunist attempting to advance his career no matter who is harmed in the process. Go ahead and read Melogy v. Maersk, all 95 pages in the 2M’s own words, full of copy/paste spam. It’s all in there. I can’t for the life of me understand why he would publish a record of his own failures and selfish behaviors. He clearly doesn’t think his actions were wrong but they were on so many levels.

The better irony is 2M signs his letters with “ACTA NON VERBA” which means “actions, not words.” How sad that this 2M took no actions nor spared no words in his duty or to protect others. Shame on him.

3 Likes

Threads with this subject on this forum tend to get stupid fast so I’d rather not post my views here. It should go without saying any of this sort of behavior or tolerating etc is unprofessional and unacceptable.

That said @anchorman is a well respected professional mariner on here and I have no doubt he runs a good professional operation.

1 Like

And after you read that one, read this one. It’s about the next MMP/MEBA ship he worked on after filing the complaint against Stinziano and the retaliation he endured. And then about being denied membership in the MMP for speaking out against Stinziano and the Union Leaders’ policy of protecting sexual predators in the MMP. I think you’ll enjoy it. Looking forward to your next review. You are leading the charge on eradicating SASH from this industry DeckApe. We are all behind you!

1 Like

Id just like to say, fuck you Ryan Melogy for shitting on “anonymous meme pages” when they disagree with you then comming here and rating about your case anonymously pretending we wont know its you. Slime ball move, but not out of character. I still think youre a narcissistic peice of shit out here for your own gain, and not to really support women. Youve showed your cards too many times, being a shitty ally to women.

I say again, fuck you and your personal grudges, and fuck your dream yacht that you can park smaller yachts in. Youre fucking wacko.

7 Likes

This thread is on a fast downward spiral.

13 Likes