Stuck with 100 ton master of towing now being stripped of it!

Anyone who was grandfathered to the Master/Mate of because of expereince operating towing vessels before 2001 under a Mater 100 GRT license received a 100 Ton limit. To remove it they need to take the Apprentice Mate exam for the route(s).

[QUOTE=jdcavo;26655]Anyone who was grandfathered to the Master/Mate of because of expereince operating towing vessels before 2001 under a Mater 100 GRT license received a 100 Ton limit. To remove it they need to take the Apprentice Mate exam for the route(s).[/QUOTE]

hello,sir,i have been a 100 ton captain since 1989,i am fixing to go on my 5th license,i switched to tugboats years ago and the last time i renewed , i was grandfathered in to this master of towing with 100 ton limitation.
as i read your post,what is the routes part of exam you are refer to? ,and as i understand ,i’m going on 5th issue and i have to test again?

thank for your help,
joey gautreaux
jogo6219@yahoo.com

[quote=jogo62;27036]hello,sir,i have been a 100 ton captain since 1989,i am fixing to go on my 5th license,i switched to tugboats years ago and the last time i renewed , i was grandfathered in to this master of towing with 100 ton limitation.
as i read your post,what is the routes part of exam you are refer to? ,and as i understand ,i’m going on 5th issue and i have to test again?

thank for your help,
joey gautreaux
jogo6219@yahoo.com[/quote]

You have to test again. The tests you took in the past did not include some of the subjects currently required for the license without a tonnage restriction. It’s also the way you would have removed/raised the tonnage limit under the pre-2001 license scheme. You need to take the test that corresponds to the route of your current tonnage-limited license.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;13658]His license was renewed April 27th. His alarmist “the sky is falling” accusations about NMC were unfounded.[/QUOTE]
They were not accusations!! the fact that my ticket was renewed was not an indicator of my dishonesty to this forum.Its easy mr. Cavo to Defend your position but this situation was very true and as a father of three young children i was very concerned and i panicked. i Did Utilize the help of the national Mariners association and they looked closely into my case and their help was instrumental to my retaining my employment.i now support their cause with my membership. Ive read case upon case regarding the problem with this 100 ton restriction on a towing endorsement. As far as “The sky is Falling” comment, i resent that! I have been on the Ocean my entire life and had been pushed from the fishing industry by the government and accepted an opportunity in this field. If i came across as an ignorant mariner who was telling stories i apologize. in retrospect im not sure what i would have done differently. i was scared and desperate. So For You Mr. Cavo and to the rest of the Gcaptain forum especially those who helped me i hope that you all understand that there are many people like me in the same situation.some who are actually out of work because of this flaw in the system.
If i can help anyone in the situation i was in i would do so in a heartbeat. Mr. Cavo i was greatful for your input back when the process was taking place. Im lucky to be working.!!! there are many who are not… i hope all of you who are struggling to advance continue to fight for what is right… Merry Christmas

my situation was serious and im just reading your post after quite some time. ( ’ I’m not sure it should have been renewed. What a piece of work!

Nemo ’ ) everyone is entitled to their opinion. But This is a real glitch in the system. but the “Nutcase” monicker is duly noted .

Having read and re read this thread, I am amazed that it appears that the USCG can ‘take away’ a license, once it’s granted. From what I have gathered here, [U][I][B] both these guys were simply looking to renew what they already had[/B][/I][/U], no increase in scope, raise in tonnage, or other factors. Just renewing. Why in Gods name is this SO effing difficult? I thought the whole idea behind have a consolidated NMC was to get all the brains in one box, to make poor evaluations, mindless accusation, and slipshod license applications and investigations a thing of the past?