SLNC York Abandoned in Pacific

Really, I just don’t see how that happens, I’ve dealt with tube leaks… some were bad and some memorable, like in the Shelikof straits and damn that is cold water. I know ships that’ve chopped whale meat and still no vibrations?

I just posted a longer video of it.

Fatigue fracture due to imbalance is my guess. Assuming they didn’t just hit something substantial the crew had to know of the condition long before this happened. That’s provided they had a proper vibration monitoring system.

How’s that shaft seal looking right now boss? If maintenance isn’t kept up you end up with a piece of shit no matter how old it is. The operator is known to have a shoe string budget and now we’re here.

I wouldn’t bet on this. In 1998/1999 I was on an ocean bottom cable seismic boat, M/V Carlson Tide, on primitive DP with cables connected while the gun boat ran it’s patterns. Slick calm, clear sky, late morning. The bridge reported they weren’t getting any thrust from the port main. In the engineroom everything was fine. Engine normal, shaft was turning normal on demand of the Navtronics DP 0 system. So we went to look over the stern & there were no wheelwash from the port shaft. Strangest thing ever. We figured the propeller somehow fell off? We went into Bludworth Shipyard north of Galveston for divers. Turned out the port shaft sheared off & fell to the bottom. It didn’t damage the rudder. We didn’t hear a thing nor have any problems or warnings. Luckily it snapped well aft of the packing gland & we didn’t have any flooding issues.

It wasn’t maintenance or any failure of the crew other than not noticing a hairline crack on the flange that finally failed after who knows how long. When is the last time you (as crew) dye penetration or mag tested your flange couplings?

Even the vaunted Sal didn’t notice the shaft failed and moved aft, it’s hard to believe anyone would think the oil pipes are the propeller shaft.

Idk why he’s vaunted in this case, he stopped sailing at 2M and teaches history. Runs a YouTube page. Good for news, not great for technical or what goes on at individual companies on the deckplates.

There are 2 companies I’ve been told explicitly to stay away from because their bad rep as operators, this is one of them. If I recall correctly they had a generator blow up and kill a 3AE a few years back didn’t they? Their pay has been historically bad which is usually an indicator of poor maintenance and equipment. I know several union members who have worked them and never gone back specifically for those reasons.

Come after my technical experience all you want, it’s likely valid considering I don’t work in the engine room. But companies have reputations for a reason.

Chill out man, my reply had nothing to do with you personally, your knowledge, skill, or experience. The use of the pronoun “you” meant any crewmember and their routine duties.

Replying to your post was a simple keyboard expedient.

Hadn’t had my coffee yet, sorry brotha

You’ll have to cut Johnny KKK some slack. He wants to work in the White House so badly.

Nice to set the video but commentary was painful. Nomenclature was rough

I read the news report and as soon as I saw Schuyler Line it made sense. That company is trouble.

Yes, that was an error leading to a failure which was compounded by two mechanical failures, one of which was due to poor construction. The overspeed was caused by the failure of a newly installed governor that hadn’t been stored per manufacturer specs. The overspeed device on the generator worked properly the first time but failed to operate properly the second time. The fly wheel came apart on the second overspeed. IIRC, the generator was an MAN design built under license and the materials used for the flywheel did not meet spec. I can’t find the report now.

I think they also found that they had two governors with the exact same serial number on them which had not been caught during services and overhauls which made it difficult to sort what exactly had been done and when.

On one vessel a microscopic crack was found in the flange of a tail shaft. The T shape crack was ground out and area was filled using Lazer welding. Because of the pioneering nature of the repair it was fully documented for class.

The repair could only take place at night on shore power so all vibration ceased. The engine room was off limits to all but the two operators who were equiped with special eye protection. Each weld was under a micron in thickness and looking through the microscopic lens of the operator’s view the grain of the steel was clearly visible.

Hermanos del Mar.
Right on!

“There are 2 companies I’ve been told explicitly to stay away from because their bad rep as operators, this is one of them.”

And I’ve had the (very) dubious honor of working for them both.

Clearly, I am second guessing some of the decisions made but I am not sure I understand why the decision was made to abandon the ship. I was under the impression commercial ships were designed to a floodability standard, usually one compartment at minimum. I would assume all available means and capacity wound have been started to pump water out of the engine room to stem the flooding. At the same time start ballasting the ship to get the bow down and stern up to reduce the head pressure and flowrate of the leak. What lessons were learned from those damage control classes we (or most of us) took that could have been applied here? Obviously, while not there, I am missing something here.

(edits made to correct grammar and spelling)

I wonder if the company got involved. Initial reports were that the Captain and Department Heads were staying onboard. But they had a while - like 16 hours I think? To take stock of the situation, and once you abandon in the only lifeboat available there aren’t many good options - I wouldn’t want to plan for abandoning in a life raft.