SAR in international waters

As I already mentioned:

But the reason the USCG requires ON-Scene SAR commanders to contact the shoreside SAR Command before boarding a foreign flag vessel is because…

A) it depends on more context (e.g. if it’s a slave ship or drug boat then you MUST board them)

B) the CO of the RCC has advanced training in the legality of birding ops and 24/7 access to USCG Admiralty lawyers.

I don’t mean to be vague on the topic but I have no choice… UNCLOS is intentionally vague, especially when it comes to government ships.

Thank you so much to all of you for your kind advice. Last question. Can someone provide me with an example or legal reference when a state flag-country ordered a vessel to “stand down” SAROp and or issued permission to foreign CG to board the vessel.

Tx. in advance :slight_smile:

Why won’t you just tell us what your flag is and where you are operating and exactly who is being “rescued” where, and who is trying to stop you from “rescuing” them? Will the “rescued” be returned to their port of origin?

While you keep asking for very specific information you studiously avoid providing any information that may have a great deal of relevance to the situation where someone might try to prevent the “rescue.”

Why so vague?

The CG Vessel should request a statement of no objection (SNO) from the vessel’s flag state, via the chain of command. Actually the OSC Works for the Search Mission Coordinator (SMC) ashore so put it on them. Even in Intl waters, the whole ocean by agreement is covered by one country or another.

Why so vague? In order not to prejudge the case. I am seeking an impartial advice. Yes, there is more to it…

Thank you for your advice:+1:. We will contect the respective embassy for SNO