Rollin' Coal

yes which is why we still see steam plants that burn the boil off.

[QUOTE=z-drive;187583]yes which is why we still see steam plants that burn the boil off.[/QUOTE]

But the newer LNG tankers are going to LNG powered internal combustion engines. . . .

[QUOTE=Emrobu;187565] LNG needs spark ignician. [/QUOTE]

Dual fuel engines use diesel fuel pilot injection to ignite the gas. No spark needed.

[QUOTE=cmakin;187589]But the newer LNG tankers are going to LNG powered internal combustion engines. . . .[/QUOTE]

yep, and in some, many? cases gas/diesel electric at that

i mention steam as a fairly new class of exmar ships wer ebuilt with steam plants

[QUOTE=Steamer;187592]Dual fuel engines use diesel fuel pilot injection to ignite the gas. No spark needed.[/QUOTE]

Some ignite liquid pilot fuel (Wärtsilä, for example), some make steam, and some do it with a spark (GE Waukesha, for example).

[QUOTE=ombugge;187582] He then got the supplier to colour all diesel fuel delivered to the company green, which resulted in every boat, truck and generator in the Delta running on green fuel.[/QUOTE]

It’s like a terrible hipster dad-joke: “We’ve been burning ‘Green’ Fuel since before it was cool.”

[QUOTE=z-drive;187594]yep, and in some, many? cases gas/diesel electric at that

i mention steam as a fairly new class of exmar ships wer ebuilt with steam plants[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but with the trend for LNG fuel power plants, the steam plants are now fading. ULCCs built in the 80s (and maybe as late as the 90s(?)) were steam because of horsepower requirements and the economics of diesels. Technology for diesels did eventually catch up. I was surprised to see that many steam plants on ULCCs and VLCCs in my ABS years, at first. Large, spacious and modern plants, too.

Sad Day seeing the Energy Enterprise go like this. First "Real"ship I ever step foot on.