Never question for one minute the professionalism of foreign mariners

I can attest to this. My wife is Filipina, & has many cousins who are mariners. Their professionalism & work ethics are unparalleled by many of the Americans I’ve seen. I’m not trying to put down my own kind, or degrade us as merchant seaman. But maybe we could all take an honest inventory of how good we really got it, & use a healthy dose of humility. Like the man said, just because we’re Americans, does not make us better!! Just sayin…

This more than cancels one US built ship.

http://gcaptain.com/ensco-orders-new-drillship-ds-nine/

“The vessel, the ENSCO DS-9, will be the seventh DP3 drillship ordered by the deepwater driller from South Korea’s Samsung Heavy Industries shipyard.
Samsung GF12000 hull design measuring 755 feet in length and 125 feet in width.”

"Ensco says that it’s three active DP3 drillships are currently contracted into 2016 in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico, Brazil and West Africa. A fourth rig, the ENSCO DS-6, is undergoing pre-commissioning modifications in preparation for its first well assignment under a five-year contract with BP. "

c.captain is right. Where is the Jones Act, where is the USCG?

[QUOTE=Capnklump;73508]I can attest to this. My wife is Filipina, & has many cousins who are mariners. Their professionalism & work ethics are unparalleled by many of the Americans I’ve seen. I’m not trying to put down my own kind, or degrade us as merchant seaman. But maybe we could all take an honest inventory of how good we really got it, & use a healthy dose of humility. Like the man said, just because we’re Americans, does not make us better!! Just sayin…[/QUOTE]

Making a broad generalized statement of an entire population and comparing that to individual thought doesn’t make any sense anyway. Some individuals are just plain idiots if they think that way. Nobody in their right mind can say they are “thinking” by comparing their thoughts to 375 million people and say “WE” Americans are better. I imagine that people think a lot of stupid things, and show it by saying it, but even worse if we acknowledge it. I would presume that every culture has their share of idiots that deem themselves superior in some way, shape, or form.

[QUOTE=seadog!;73551]c.captain is right. Where is the Jones Act, where is the USCG?[/QUOTE]

seadog…drillships and rigs working in the GoM do not carry cargo or passengers and thus are not required to be US built or even US flag. What is required is that they be US manned (33CFR141) and thankfully most are (except for the MAERSK DEVELOPER which unless things have changed in the past couple of years has only token Americans on it but lots and lots of Europeans still in the high level management and supervisory positions)

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/groups/25537051377/

MRV Rem Poseidon GOM

It is an amazing story. However, how soon we forget, M/V Damon Bankston. Deep Water Horizon rescues.

Not knocking other nationals professionalism. Just not appreciate knocking ours.

Been out here since 1978 and would pit some I have sailed with against any

Which company is building the 500 footer?
Is Island offshore part owned by ECO?

Island is a partnership between Chouest and Ulstein