MSC Gülsün world's largest container ship arrived at Rotterdam

Come on now. MSC?

Between the fires, groundings, lost containers, and (eh hemmm) drug running!, I fail to see a stellar safety record here.

That’s great… Post pics of the ABs and Steward’s Department… If their names are Guiseppe and Luigi then I’ll withdraw my post and look up how to say ‘you’re right’ in Norwegian.

MSC directors’ board meeting at headquarters in Geneva;

CEO: “Karl, tell us, how are things going?”

Bean counter Karl: “Well sir, the share holders are lovin’ us right now. Of course we’ve had a few minor incidents”

CEO: “Yeah, I’ve been briefed, well, carry on…and let’s order some more of those huge bastards.”

This is what I ACTUALLY said:

Where do you find a refr. to only MSC here??

But relative to the size of the MSC fleet their safety record is not that bad. Many national safety records are far worse by comparison.
Could it be improved?? Certainly. but so can just about everything.

I sailed on the Maersk K-class and would have to check 400+ reefers, after breakfast each day. We had RCM, but it wasn’t reliable and still had to check them daily. I don’t think people understand how often reefers fail and I really can’t imagine having to babysit 2000 of them, with or without Remote Monitoring. No thanks!

1 Like

My experience with reefer containers is approximately 5% of them will require some attention in transit. To manually check them once per day averages out at one minute per container so figure on roughly 33 man hours per day.
On a long voyage at slow speed steaming I would not be surprised if they had to replace the compressor in at least 5 of the 100 requiring attention.
Have they found a new source electricians/ refrigeration engineers with AB’s tickets?

3 Likes

Maybe one way of looking at this is those 2000 reefers are going to be shipped in any event. Whether they are on one boat or 20, the number of problems and the number of reefer/electricians should be about the same.

The question is, will MSC increase the proportion of of reefer/electricians to cover the same hours of work performed on the 19 other boats?

The MSC GULSUN is now no longer the largest Container vessel in the world by TEU capacity.

That throne has been claimed by the 23,964-TEU HMM Algeciras, reckoned to be the world’s biggest box ship today.

She has docked at Hamburg after completing it maiden Asia-North Europe voyage:

Now let us hear the usual negative comments about such mega ship and the fact that they can manage to sail at all with just XX “3rd world villagers” on board.

PS> The vessel is registered in Panama. The Master is Korean. I don’t know the number and nationalities of the Officers and crews.

Insufficient information to engage troll response engine. Please provide technical ship manager, crew nationality to determine underlying certificate used for Panamanian certs. mmmm buzzzz click.

2 Likes

I’m sure somebody will manage to gulp up something without too much facts.

Just saw Superships on Amazon and Shanghai Surprise was the biggest at 7,500 TEU.

How much cocaine can it carry?

Depends on how much the market demands.

First chuckle of the day Bug. THX