Maersk Eindhoven Cargo Loss: Engine Oil Pressure Triggered Loss of Propulsion

Maersk are paying heavily for doing wrong to some honest soul.

They had 8-10 incidents in last 3 n half months.

So you are blaming all this misfortune on bad karma.

Their safety record is not that bad when you consider the size of their fleet.
Maersk Line has over 700 container ships in operation. 300 of these are owned and over 400 chartered from other owners:

The parent company, A.P.Møller-Mærsk AS, also own and operate tankers, OSVs and drilling rigs of various types all over the world.

BTW; I forgot. Maersk also own one of the largest harbour tug companies in the world:
https://www.svitzer.com/

And one of the world’s largest Container Terminal operators:
https://www.apmterminals.com/

They also used to have an airline. Maersk Air:
https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Maersk%20Air.htm

Why is the grass in Denmark green??
Because it is so difficult to paint it blue, like everything else in Denmark

1 Like

Marine Safety Alert - Lessons Learned from the S.S. EL FARO Casualty – gCaptain

0418.pdf (uscg.mil)

In very heavy weather/sea conditions Engineers used to be busy round the clock with changing and cleaning fuel filters .Some know what to do , unfortunately some need polite reminder.

And now the ship is drifting outside Japan and the Owners don’t know what to do!

I can’t speak for ships. Heavy weather on the seagoing tugs almost always involved a large order of fuel filters in the next port after sloshing the fuel around and the crap in the bottom of the tanks. Thankfully, most of my guys stayed on it.

And now the ship is at Honmoku/Yokohama doing something. I wonder what?

Piston engine aircraft engines are designed to operate in any position of inclination, including upside down.

Ship engines should be designed to operate through at least 180 degrees of roll. The need is becoming more and more obvious. I’m not an engineer, but I think that design change can be accomplished at reasonable cost.

Aircraft engines that operate inverted continuously are quite expensive compared to normal ones (which can run inverted only for a few seconds), and remember they are self-contained - i.e., the lube oil is entirely contained within the engine.
Do you really think there is a need to have a marine engine that works while inverted? Surely something like 45 degrees of roll tolerance would be more than sufficient for most vessels?
The little Yanmar corn-popper in our home/sailboat doesn’t like to run beyond about 20-25 degrees of heel (continuous - momentary excursions don’t seem to bother it) - but at those angles, we’re under sail and really don’t need the engine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Being very familiar with that I often wondered why there wasn’t filtration installed on bunker piping onboard the receiving vessel. I know the answer to the question. But it still boggles my mind that dirty fuel accumulated over 5 years between shipyard periods seems to surprise people when the sediment clogs up filters at just the wrong moment such as during heavy weather and causes a loss of power, loss of cargo, loss of life etc. This stupidity has been going on for many years. When some countries came out with continuous sampling while bunkering that at least stopped a bit of water being substituted but it did nothing to check the solids in the fuel. However the entire object of continuous sampling while bunkering was not to make sure the fuel was good but to be able to trace it in case of a spill. How many samples are sent to shore for analysis and the bunkering agent held accountable for the quality, especially regarding settleable solids?

1 Like

When I took bunkers it was usually loaded at a rate of between 350 and 500 MT/hour (roughly 2000 - 3000 bbls). I would take it higher if it could be pumped. If we were getting enough for 1 round trip (5 weeks) I would take 4000 tons of fuel (~ 25,000 bbls). At those rates having a filter at the bunker station would be not be practicable.

What kind of contaminant were you getting? In my experience it’s usually fuel parasite sludge that gets stirred up by heavy weather. The only way to avoid that is to keep the tanks completely free of water, which isn’t always practical. There is also the issue of debris from tank deterioration, but I assume the big boys are on top of that.

And periodic dosing of a Biocide to control the bugs (bacterial) growth. They are prevalent in distillate fuels.

True, although my impression is that it only works while you have it in the tank. Once you feed them untreated fuel, the little bastards start multiplying, and you don’t get to know about it until you hit a spot of rough weather (or conduct periodic tank inspections). I might be wrong, but I’m sure someone here could tell me.

How about the “old rule” (aka stupid myth) that it’s good to keep engine/generator sump levels as low as possible because if a pipe leaks, or seal fails, less oil is lost before the low level alarm goes off. Statistically, what is more likely to occur…alarm/danger due to low oil in tank during unexpected heavy weather, or a pipe bursting and draining the whole sump?

Some of the dumb stuff I’ve heard over the years…

1 Like

One btl (sample) is sent to recognised sampling organisation.

Maersk Eindhoven has left Yokohama:

In the animated versions I’ve seen it shows that the list created no oil could be accessed due to the offset design of the pumping system. Surely they could have added oil…had more oil available?

Also, why are black boxes or VDR’s still in use
With real time streaming satellite technology nowadays? Any idea?

If in fact free exchange occurred due to damage to a pipe in the fire suppression system wouldn’t there be some sort of warning to the bridge when it was compromised and redundant water seal valve etc that could have stopped the flooding?

I’m not an engineer nor do I work in the marine industry so perhaps my questions are naive.