Is joining the Coast Guard a way to obtain 3rd mate license?

Well, Capt Phoenix, I disagree with part of your reply. And I have been watching your quality responses to some of the posts on this site. My son was accepted to two academies, and was asked to come to consider a third.academy he did not apply for. Some you refer to did try for Navy, USCG, West Point, Air Force, and did’nt get in. On their applications, they ask for 2nd,3rd, or 4th choices. Nothing wrong with that, gives these bright young people a chance for a great education and service to our country. I in no way consider them rejects because of the selection departments of said Academies… By attending USMMA, you must know they have a choice whether to go commercial, or into Army, Navy, Air Force, USCG, Or Marines if they so choose as a junior officer. (AS long as they qualify and commit) Or be a 3rd Mate or Engineer. My son had a lot of choices, and it has served him well. By the way, I did not go the Academy or Military route, Hawsepiped and that is damn hard now.

1 Like

Well, frankly, a lot of them are. And a good number get kicked out and come across the river to Ft. Schulyer. Usually by then they’ve decided what they want to do.

1 Like

And do year at sea as part of their curriculum. Told my son every time that ship moved to be on the bridge when practical as his assignments allowed. Steer every chance you get. Watch how the Master or Pilot handles the tugs while docking and sailing. Unfortunately, he had a medical condition that is hampering his first renewal and sailing in the future. His degree and area he specialized in has given him a great backup plan. Asst port director in one of our major ports. He also is a full Lieutenant in the reserves , and coaches football and wrestling at our local High School. You won’t convince me that USMMA can’t change young peoples lives. Sure you have some less than positive stories about USMMA, how about hearing a good one.

1 Like

I think the USMMA should be reserved for training Marchant Marine Officers, not military officers, so offer should be given to those wanting to sail on their license.

Yes, and many people here think that’s a bad use of federal funding that’s supposed to be for the USMM.

5 Likes

BTW, those aren’t necessarily the people that make me question the King’s Point admissions office. It’s the kids that graduated high school with a 2.5 GPA in the mid west that don’t even know what merchant shipping entails but want free college.

2 Likes

Some unfortunately do get kicked out or quit at all the academies. Lack of committment for the most part. My son’s class started with about 290 or so, 235 something graduated. Comparable numbers at the service academies. No sympathy for blown opportunities. One of the best Captains I have known over 40 yrs got his daughter in Suny Maritime, Broke his heart, she quit within the first year.

How about 5-years worth of deployments before switching to commercial. Although USMMA graduates can go military instead of commercial, I don’t think CGA or Naval Academy graduates have the option to go commercial until they serve their commitment.

1 Like

We had quite a few kids from Colorado of all places in his class. Over a dozen I think, I met one of the folks at indocrination on the subway. I said “Where the hell is Colorado at sea” not bashful here. Thinking they may have tried for Air Force first. Don’t recall ANY folks getting accepted with a 2.5. If they were interested, they would be sent to the prep school in New Mexico I think for a year. Kinda like the preps for all the Academies. These schools are tough, I won’t disagree some kids (Very few) may have gotten a pass in High School, but the majority(Mostly atheletes) got their grades up to snuff, well over 3.0. Most of the kids first go around were at least 3.8 or higher, with strong SAT scores in Math. Not unlike the JUCOs today, but much higher requirements and less tolerance.

Portofdc. Trump signed or will sign a bill to let college players take pro offers before their comitment to the service. Commitment for Usmma is 5 or 7 years to whatever branch. Reserves or active. SSO qualified officers will be first called in a strategic sealift. Many requirements in the small print.

They have the option to do that to fulfill their commitment, however the purpose of the institution is to train professional mariners, not professional military officers. In my opinion if you go in to USMMA with the intent to commission full time into the service and zero interest in sailing, you’re really wasting what our tax dollars are supposed to go towards.

2 Likes

Cmakin, My son benefited quite well from the Alumni at KP and his own work… Some of the people he works with he helped them in the class room. Some don’t forget where they came from or who are the people that made an effort… I know you have been around the block more than once as have I… At some time I may have sailed with or met you. The ones that do well with an academy education, they do very well The ones that don’t , OOPS, not my problem. Don’t blame the system, it is set up for your success. I have a feeling you passed on some good advice in your day.

1 Like

Isn’t an at-sea deployment essentially your whole commitment? It’s 3 or 4 years before they rotate you shoreside. And yes, he had made it sound like you could go straight reserves out of the USCGA and I didn’t really think about it and just went with it.

Domer , I respect your opinion, And would hope all would be good Mariners. But that option separates them from all the other institutions. And is a great option in this day and time. The few that don’t sail civilian, work out quite well. The larger few, that opt for Navy, are much better trained and prepared than the current officers the Navy is producing to drive our war vessels. I’m sure you have followed the news last few years.

A much higher percentage of King’s Point graduates either don’t said at all or stop as soon as their commitment is up a compared to state school license graduates.

My nephew is an enlisted USCG Officer. Chief Engineer in Maine now and elected to drive boats for 16 years before shoreside jobs. I bust his ass every time I can, regarding Merchant and Uscg… We are very good friends.

Disagree Phoenix. State schools graduate far,far fewer licensed people than USMMA. So, percentage wise, you may be correct. Personnel wise, I don’t think that is accurate. The numbers are out there, look it up if you have the time. I think it is great if these young men and women get better opportunity’s later on in life, for a better job as long as they meet the commitment required of them when they graduate. I can assure you , there is not a big market for retired Tugboat Captains with no degree.

State Maritime Academy grads can and do participate in the SSO (formerly MMR) program as well. They also have a good number of people who do ROTC and commission through that path. So I wouldn’t say that option separates them from all the other insitutions. I agree that I like having a Navy filled with competent people and that Merchant Mariners can bring them a lot of skills and expertise that they might otherwise lack, but the way I see it, those guys who didn’t get accepted to other Federal Academies and have a hardon for just wanting to commission in the service and attend a Federal Academy don’t really belong at KP. It’s misusing dollars that are earmarked to ensure that our country has merchant marine officers, not aviators, not soldiers. The government wastes more money on stupider things though, so Ill just say that I’d like it if they gave MARAD more money in general to spread around the entire American maritime industry.

1 Like

The numbers of ROTC far and few at USMMC. I met a head coach from Suny in 2012 that recently departed a year or two ago. We were at Annapolis for a football camp. He explained to me the ROTC option in between work outs that day. Although appealing, options were limited… Nice guy and a fierce competitor. Again, appreciate the opinion that some guys don’t go to Usmma to sail. I am not particularly,happy about that , some few do get through. Nature of the beast, but am of the opinion most do want to sail… I can only speak of my son and most of HIS pals. They sail and make a decent living. Again , SSO is available to every school, but numbers wise , USMMA far exceeds the number of grads for that program of any state school, almost a combined number vs Usmma. I welcome any poster to show me different, will stand down if you can prove me wrong.

1 Like

Typo, USMMA

Can’t prove you wrong, you’re absolutely correct regarding participation. A big reason for that is, at least at NYMC, you have to participate in both the school’s regiment and the ROTC battalion, to participate in SSO, which can be very burdensome. At USMMA its (as far as I know) all combined with the school’s regiment.