I wish our Congressmen cared for us equally

[QUOTE=Kraken;182502]but per capita we are only beaten by the US.[/QUOTE]

Does that upset you?

When two ships were ordered in January 2006, the contract price was 50 million euro for two 18,800 DWT, ice class 1A Super geared bulk carriers based on a Swedish FKAB G13 design. The ships were to be delivered in 2008. The delivery was slightly delayed and the second vessel was cancelled already in 2009. The first (and only) ship was handed over to the owner in August 2011. When it arrived in Finland few months later, it went straight to shipyard for repairs, and again in 2012. A judicial process against the shipyard was started in 2014 about the cost of repairs during guarantee period.

The builder was ABG Shipyard:

[i]- Largest Private Sector Shipbuilding Yard in India Certified by DNV for ISO 9001 - 2008

• Shipyard has received All India Trophy for Highest Exporters, every year continuously from 2003-04 onwards, in Recognition of outstanding Contribution to Engineering - Export from Govt. of India - Ministry of Commerce.
  • Delivered 149 specialized and sophisticated vessels.
  • State of the art manufacturing facilities at Dahej and Surat in Gujrat.
  • Competitiveness in the Global markets in terms of Price, Quality and Delivery.
  • Order in hand over Rs. 16,600 crores.[/i]

Perhaps they have improved their quality since then. However, an LNG carrier is not the easiest ship to build so I’m a bit skeptical about their ability to actually build such ships even if they claim to be able to do so. Heck, even the Russians have problems building modern icebreakers…

[QUOTE=Tups;182599]When two ships were ordered in January 2006, the contract price was 50 million euro for two 18,800 DWT, ice class 1A Super geared bulk carriers based on a Swedish FKAB G13 design. The ships were to be delivered in 2008. The delivery was slightly delayed and the second vessel was cancelled already in 2009. The first (and only) ship was handed over to the owner in August 2011. When it arrived in Finland few months later, it went straight to shipyard for repairs, and again in 2012. A judicial process against the shipyard was started in 2014 about the cost of repairs during guarantee period.

The builder was ABG Shipyard:

[i]- Largest Private Sector Shipbuilding Yard in India Certified by DNV for ISO 9001 - 2008

• Shipyard has received All India Trophy for Highest Exporters, every year continuously from 2003-04 onwards, in Recognition of outstanding Contribution to Engineering - Export from Govt. of India - Ministry of Commerce.
  • Delivered 149 specialized and sophisticated vessels.
  • State of the art manufacturing facilities at Dahej and Surat in Gujrat.
  • Competitiveness in the Global markets in terms of Price, Quality and Delivery.
  • Order in hand over Rs. 16,600 crores.[/i]

Perhaps they have improved their quality since then. However, an LNG carrier is not the easiest ship to build so I’m a bit skeptical about their ability to actually build such ships even if they claim to be able to do so. Heck, even the Russians have problems building modern icebreakers…[/QUOTE]

You mean this?

Never heard of them, but can’t be all that bad if ESL had kept aside Eur 0.4 million on warranty repairs and received Eur 0.8million + interest under a court order.

[QUOTE=smoker;182614]You mean this?

Never heard of them, but can’t be all that bad if ESL had kept aside Eur 0.4 million on warranty repairs and received Eur 0.8million + interest under a court order.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Despite the compensations, I still believe the shipping company wasn’t too happy with the vessel. Due to delayed delivery, they had to charter a replacement vessel for some years. There’s even a rumor that when the ship was in dry dock and the CEO visited it, he got sick from the onboard water and was heard mumbling something like “…and this is the last ship we order from India…” when walking down the gangway. I don’t know if that’s true, but the water in the photographs posted on another forum didn’t look very fresh and the build quality of the kitchen looked… interesting.

Anyway, that was the first and, as of today, the only Indian-built ship ever to fly the Finnish flag. It’s not a reference the shipyard can be proud of, and that’s probably why they haven’t posted it on their website. However, we all know how the Japanese brought up their shipbuilding industry (or car industry, for that matter) to world-class standard, followed by South Korea and China*. The process is faster every time and I wouldn’t be surprised if India followed, but until now I haven’t personally seen a well-built ship from India or heard someone saying something like “Dude, that Indian-built ship was of such good quality!” Instead, the bystanders were wondering how Alppila could look so crappy for a newbuilding.

(* they still have issues with quality, but at least the ships are not that bad anymore, meaning that you don’t have to drydock tankers instantly after delivery due to cracks in the cargo tanks)