End the Jones Act? Ask Alexander Hamilton

The argument as I understood it was always to maintain the build requirement for national security as that is the only way we’ll keep our shipyards open and keep the continuity of shipbuilding workers employed there, such that in time of war we are not reliant on foreign yards for building our naval fleet. But I would argue that the number large tonnage JA vessels actually being built is so small as to be inconsequential. If you were to substitute a repair requirement and allow new foreign tonnage this would be more of a benefit to keeping the yards open, busy, and strategically viable.

There is an economic argument for scale and competition in repair as well. If a shipowner could increase their fleet by adding three or four new foreign built vessels for the cost equivalent of one US build vessel, I suspect there would be a business case for doing so. Bigger fleet, more ships to be maintained. We are not necessarily talking about foreign route vessels passing up foreign yards for repair, but as example the speaker was talking about oil and gas distribution along our own coast, or a more viable container service to the non-contiguous states and territories. As for MSP, if US shipowners in the free market sector could purchase cheaper vessels, this should necessarily reduce the need for government subsidies and financial drain of the older government MSP fleet.

I don’t necessarily know the answer, but I agree amending the law has merit. With involvement of all stakeholders. However, I don’t recall ever actually seeing any draft legislation that wasn’t simply a repeal effort.