Concealed Carry on International Vessel in U.S. Waterway

Correct, so is it the responsibility of the captain/crew to detain? Or do they order the pilot off the vessel? Or do they designate the Port Security/Coast Guard for that?

It was my impression that once you enter a countryā€™s waters you are now bound by that countries laws. For instance, a US flag ship entering a Canadian port is now bound by Canadian Firearm laws. Shouldnā€™t the opposite be true?

Yea I think youā€™re playing with fire, and will start a firestorm if you get caught.

The crew will most likely freak. The company will freak. They will call everybody under the sun, including your pilot association. Are there other pilots that do this? Is this a common thing in your group?

Iā€™d be pissed if somebody brought a CCW onboard and I found out somehow. And Iā€™d call everybody under the sun to fix it. Thereā€™s no reason for it.

Why donā€™t you just go straight to the USCG District you are dealing with and ask their preference and rules. Since they are PSC, if you clear it through them, then they would have no reason to detain the vessel, given that they are aware of what you are doing. And if the vessel isnā€™t at risk for earning a detention or non-conformity, than for the most part, the Flag state will not follow through with any additional requirement.

But, you should declare your weapon to the Master once onboard. He may ask you to place it in his safe during the pilotage, in that case you should abide, since your main concern has to do with onshore crime. My suggestion would also to have a case with you, that is fingerprint access, so once you relinquish your weapon, only you can access it, or at least not allow the Captain or Crew too.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know anyone that does this, I was just curious as to the laws behind it. However, I disagree that there is no reason for it. Carrying a firearm for protection getting to and from ports for people who live in high crime areas is the reason for it.

1 Like

Pussies.
I need a gun because I am a sad and lonely fuck.
If you feel the need to end the life of somebody else, then get up close and personal you turds.

London stabbings 2021 ā€“ latest news on knife crime, attacks and statistics (thesun.co.uk)

Why are you all so afraid of guns? There are big hammers on every ship in existence. Someone could just as easily bash your head in with one.

Per the OPs question as long as youā€™re in compliance with Illinois law, the USCG would be the enforcing agent. There isnā€™t legal way for a foreign ships crew to detain you. Talk to the USCG as they would be the ones called upon to do any enforcement.

You should review Illinois law first.

For all you Messroom Lawyers, here is advise issued by UNODC:

Maritime Crime: A Manual for Criminal Justice Practitioners

https://www.unodc.org/documents/Maritime_crime/UNODC_GMCP_
It sets out the legal regime that governs the various maritime zones and the legal basis for tackling some of the most serious maritime crimes

One question is where the vessel is at the time a crime is committed.
Great Lakes are a special case since it is inland seas, but shared between two sovereign nations.
One thing is for sure, the laws and rules of individual US States does not apply on a foreign vessel at sea. It may make a difference in different US ports, however.(In this case, the rules for CCW where he enter and leave the vessel)

On a vessel at sea the Master has jurisdiction on behalf the Flag State. (At least in principle)

Maybe you need to get a different job?

And that is why I wish I had my AK on my last job in the bay of Campeche. I have decided not to work in Mexico again. Mexico makes sure you are weapon free then broadcasts your required 12 hr check in with the Navy so any potential pirate knows your exact location. If you feel you need protection carry it, and be discrete and be glad you work/live in the US where laws mean something.

1 Like

Not a lot an unarmed crew can do against a guy with a gun. Drunk fishing captains have made their crews walk the plank at gunpoint for laughs after shooting a few. Itā€™s a nasty set of possibilities that open up.

Dead linkā€¦

OK. Try downloading from here:

The shipā€™s security plan is required to have a procedures in place to report and deal with security-related incidents. An incident puts the ship at risk for delays etc. Best to just follow the procedures in the plan. No need for any internet lawyering.

Just carry a line throwing gun, the older model with the brass rod. If you hit an assailant in the forehead with that, game over. As a bonus, you will have plenty of line to tie him up with until the police arrive. Outside of the pyrotechnic nature when traveling, no law against a seaman carrying around safety equipment.

2 Likes