Back to ideas to fix the USMM/MSP

well at least Denise Krepp has the courage to speak out

Helping MARAD Promote the Maritime Industry

By Denise Krepp 2018-07-30 20:20:02

Not all agencies share the U.S. Maritime Administration’s mission to promote the nation’s maritime industry. Three of the largest federal departments have long resisted MARAD’s efforts to enforce cargo preference rules, which require federally-financed cargoes to be carried aboard U.S.-flag ships - and without public support, this situation could easily continue.

When I became MARAD’s chief counsel in 2009, I was asked to lead the team responsible for drafting rules that would penalize other federal agencies for not complying with cargo preference laws. It’s now 2018, and the cargo preference rule has never left the Office of Management and Budget for public review. Over the intervening years, millions of dollars of U.S. federally-financed cargo have moved via foreign flagged ships instead of those crewed by U.S. mariners.

MARAD needs public support to move its rule-making efforts forward, and mariners and citizens can help, simply by raising awareness about the industry and its history. In 2017, a monument to US merchant mariners was dedicated in Wilmington, North Carolina on National Maritime Day. Local residents designed the memorial, raised money for it, and held a dedication ceremony. And you can do the same thing: your mayor would likely support a memorial to merchant mariners in the town square. Once it’s built, it can be used for commemorations and ceremonies, which are a great way to engage elected officials and the public at large.

What I’m proposing is an effort that would take time and commitment, but I’d argue that it is time well spent. The strength of our country was built up by brave men and women who went to sea. Reminding our neighbors and elected officials of this history helps ensure the vitality of the industry and gives MARAD the tools it needs to be successful in DC’s bureaucratic battles.

K. Denise Rucker Krepp is a former MARAD Chief Counsel and a locally elected official in Washington, D.C.

I wished she was the Maritime Administrator and not this useless Buzby cartoon character (who I doubt ever called John back like he said he would)

Not all? Name even one.

1 Like

touche and that list includes the Maritime Administration

1 Like

To address the initial question:

Bring back the U-boats and have them torpedo vessels coming and going from US harbors at the sea-buoy.

Until there is…literally…a loaded gun pointed at people’s heads, they’re not going to change.

It is what it is because it’s not something else.

A bit of good news, although it may be a bit old. I was down in Brownsville on assignment last week, in the AMFELS yard. Sad to see as there were NO construction projects on, but they had just ordered the steel for their new building program for two LNG powered container ships.

1 Like