Accidents

This isn’t a case of someone from the general public coming aboard, it’s a company manager departing the ship with his luggage.

A lot of people come aboard to do business on the ship, longshoremen, pilots, technicians, inspectors, government officials. In my experience none of them get a safety briefing.

Presumably they receive training on workplace hazards from their employee.

Accident

It’s been a while since I worked for an oil company but when I stopped it was procedure that EVERYONE got a safety briefing & put their signature on a piece of paper saying they would wear their PPE & not go where they weren’t supposed to. It only makes sense to me. I’m really surprised your technicians didn’t get safety briefings, they’re the ones always having the accidents.

When I say technicians I mean for example the person who comes aboard changes the magnetron in the radar and then departs the ship.

I think lost in all this is that the unfortunate person who got hurt wasn’t a technician, or a visitor, or a manager. He is a member of the Board of Directors. Top of the org chart. Above the CEO. Several places above the mere captain. He’s gonna do what he wants to do.

That’s who I’m talking about too. All technicians coming aboard need to be given an orientation & a brief LOTO/barrier training. It doesn’t take a lot of juice to kill a guy & there’s a lot of case history of technicians (& now owners) coming aboard & disregarding LOTO & barrier safety. Don’t trust a dude to be trained just because he has a blue Dickie shirt with his name on it & a clipboard. Those things are cheap on Amazon.

The situation is quite different on an oil tanker. A car carrier will have van loads of people coming up the ramp to discharge vehicles. Some vessels will have over 100 people who may not understand English loading the ship.

@freighterman1

Certificate of Incorporation (2).pdf (2.8 MB)

1 Like

Not familiar with your operation so I don’t know why the technicians are the ones getting injured.

Where I was it was crew first followed by longshoreman. If technicians were in fact getting hurt it was somehow flying below the radar.

Construction vessels, research, flotells & ships in shipyard can be the same as you describe. Hundreds of people running around doing shit. But if I’m anywhere close to being responsible for them or might get sued by them I got their names & signatures on a piece of paper saying they’re going to follow a set of rules & wear their PPE. A supervisor would have to be an idiot to set hundreds of people loose & hope for the best. “There were just too many of them” won’t fly as an excuse in a courtroom or with the USCG.

I know you are retired now but you haven’t been out of the loop that long. I can’t remember a year going by without reading or hearing about dead 3rd party workers in a tank somewhere. It happens all the time. The companies you worked for didn’t share lessons learned & accidents that happened on other ships & sectors of the maritime industry? Vendors, 3rd party & techs are always injuring themselves??

Yes, absolute, of course we do.

No, crew and longshoreman.

Like I said, don’t know your operation. Outside the shipyard I can’t recall that I’ve ever had a 3rd party in a tank without a crew member attending in which case we’d follow ship procedures.

Obviously if the problem was technicians than mitigations measures would be taken to reduce, but it’s not, it’s crew and longshoreman.

It could be that your shipboard workplace is far more hazardous than others. Where I work we do none of this, and no one gets hurt. We don’t have vendors sign waivers. We don’t give them safety training. It’s a non-issue.

The one vendor I can think of getting hurt was deckhand on a tug that was preparing to move our boat from the dock. He came up the Jacobs ladder, slipped and fell on the deck. That was 1996, I think.

That doesn’t happen. In the case of the longshoreman the crew prepares the ship IAW our procedures and then crew members monitor cargo ops. “Report any issues to the foreman” etc etc.

On a car ship all the cargo gear is inside, lots of moving parts. The main issue is after shifting one of the big pieces making sure all the little bits and pieces are in place before allowing the longshoreman access.

It’s impressive how quick the transition is!

1 Like

Seriously.

Perhaps nothing to do with this, we were christening a “New Rebuilt Double Hull”. The fellows that were part of the rebuild kept telling the shipyard, port engineers, designers etc that a certain apparatus they installed on the bow was out of place and a safety hazard waiting to hurt someone… Well after all the flags, banners, and celebration, The port captain at the time nearly knocked his brains out giving a tour to the customers on said item. The last port captain I had before I retired (Not that guy) was the best one, had mucho boat time , and knew when to duck. He did actually listen to us, but again… handcuffed to make changes that made sense.

@freighterman1

Updated 9/21/2021 in the interest of completeness. According to the attached General Index or Abstract of Title, Intrepid Sea Holdings, Inc. was a buyer of the MV MAJ RICHARD WINTERS in 2019.

document1 - Copy.pdf (72.0 KB)