A call to action regarding the foreign mariner issue in the GoM

[QUOTE=c.captain;81551]come on people…I’m serious about this shit! I cannot be the only one? Get do this thing![/QUOTE]

Well sir, I applied for the chiefs job they are advertising on rigzone just a few minutes ago.

You know me, and some of my background so they can’t say they have not had a qualified unlimited chief apply for the spot. I got everything they ask for on the list except the Brunvoll thrusters. Everything else, plenty of experience on.

I will let you know if they contact me and what they say.

Nothing special about Brunvoll. Controls, controller, motor, servo unit, gearbox, hub & blades. Get the “low oil level in header tank alarm” option. Seen that go really wrong in a bad way before …

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;81742]Well sir, I applied for the chiefs job they are advertising on rigzone just a few minutes ago.

You know me, and some of my background so they can’t say they have not had a qualified unlimited chief apply for the spot. I got everything they ask for on the list except the Brunvoll thrusters. Everything else, plenty of experience on.

I will let you know if they contact me and what they say.[/QUOTE]

you can also just notify the USCG that you applied. PM me for the contact info

Thnak you for organizing this Thread and the topic.

It is important.

[QUOTE=+A465B;81755]Thnak you for organizing this Thread and the topic.

It is important.[/QUOTE]

I have been working on this issue for almost 4 years now and been waiting for an opportune moment, I have filed complaints against Veolia with the USCG previously which did not go anywhere then but that was because the trail was cold. That isn’t the case now. This trail is HOT AS HELL and I intend to stay right on it this time. Veolia will never want me but if I can get other American mariners on their ships, then I will have won a victory for us as a community. This is a much bigger than just one person and I am grateful for the support and interest here now.

My humble thanks…

Indeed. Thank you for organizing this thread. I assume you say they would not want you because you are such a vocal opponent of their unscrupulous hiring practices. If you have all the qualifications though why not apply? If they denied you employment it would be just another fine example of their refusal to hire US mariners while working the OCS. Thanks for your efforts on this issue.

[QUOTE=dredgeboater;81774]Indeed. Thank you for organizing this thread. I assume you say they would not want you because you are such a vocal opponent of their unscrupulous hiring practices. If you have all the qualifications though why not apply? If they denied you employment it would be just another fine example of their refusal to hire US mariners while working the OCS. Thanks for your efforts on this issue.[/QUOTE]

Trust me…I have applied but I have also filed a formal complaint against Veolia previously so they have my name and I cannot see how I would be able to work for them in a non confrontational manner. Much as I would love to command a ship like the SWORDFISH, I will hope that another worthy master gets that opportunity. Of course, I hope that lots of American mariners get the chance to work on such a fine ship.

[QUOTE=c.captain;81753]you can also just notify the USCG that you applied. PM me for the contact info[/QUOTE]

Please kindly advise the email address for PIC at USCG.

further from USCG today on filing notice with them regarding applications made to Veolia…the following information must be provided for an investigation to occur:

In order to better assist you, I will need the following information

1. date(s) of application
  2. method used to submit application (e.g. rigzone)
  3. employer/company name and, if applicable, company Division name; if mailed or hand-delivered, then address and company POC
  4. position(s) applied for on that date
  5. name of vessel on which the position applied for existed
  6. applicant name used on that date
  7. whether or not you verified receipt of your application AND whether or not the company/division contacted you (for any reason) after you applied

Once I have the above information, I would then need to contact the particular employer/company to which you applied, and using the information you provided (including your name), make specific inquiry into your application.

So if you have sent an email to the USCG, please resend it with this info included or you’re claim will just get roundfiled. Thanks for the caring and the effort. Together we can do this.

As a separate note on this matter but I have received word from a trusted source that Veolia is in fact speaking with some American mariners now but so far nobody has been hired. It is possible that they will turn to a manager to provide vessel manning as well. It is very early just I am given hope with this news that the pressure applied by us will force Veolia to see that they can’t fight this and win forever. Maybe that date is sooner that they thought? We can only hope!

just fyi, but Veolia renewed its solicitations yesterday on RigZone. If you are interested in applying to them, please do asap and then notify the USCG after you do with all the pertinent info requested by them. I believe that this issue is red hot on the USCG PIC’s desk and the sooner he gets the info the more he has to take to Veolia to investigate any claim Veolia might make regarding a lack of qualified US mariners. If you applied already, please update your application info with the Coast Guard as soon as possible as well. This is a very critical time to make change occur and every effort needs to be made on our parts. The more people who do this the better our chances to get the USCG to realize that Americans are available, qualified, capable and want the work!

Again, my humble thanks to all for caring…

to quote the American Agricultural Movement of 1977, “Parity not Charity!”

I have not heard sqat from them yet. I did notice they refreshed the ads on rigzone.

By the way you never sent me the contact info for the coast gaurd either.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;82165]I have not heard sqat from them yet. I did notice they refreshed the ads on rigzone.

By the way you never sent me the contact info for the coast gaurd either.[/QUOTE]

sorry Rob…PM with info sent

[QUOTE=kfj;81594]On a related topic, is the Viking Poseidon US crewed?[/QUOTE]

As CCaptain pointed out, no. She is owned Eidesvik. Violia is only chartering. They were doing the same with the Normand Pacific. But as pointed out, they bought the Swordfish. So it will be interesting to see what happens.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;82165]I have not heard sqat from them yet. I did notice they refreshed the ads on rigzone.

I am curious to know if anyone has received a call from Veolia after submitting a resume or applying on rig zone.

Does anyone have direct contact info for Veolia? Who is the person doing the hiring? Where would one knock on their door?

I do also want to point out that there are companies who play by the rules in this matter

1. HOS has American mariners on the ACHIEVER and the IRON HORSE (even though the I/H is out of the country now and doesn’t need Americans on it but HOS is always thinking it might come back to the GoM)
  2. ECO has the ISLAND ENFORCER (which like the HOS I/H is out of the country but may return to the GoM)
  3. Global Industries has the GLOBAL ORION and the G1200 with American mariners

All the vessels listed above are foreign flagged and all much like the SWORDFISH and like Veolia are operated by companies in the US. That is where 33CFRpart141 comes into play.

There are also dozens of drillships and semis in the GoM which operate with 100% US citizen personnel also so this is not new or novel for companies to comply with. It is a very old rule which some companies like Veolia have just learned they could circumvent. The ability for getting around the intent of these rules has to finally be brought to an end and I hope that this might be that time.

I may be a wise ass on here a lot of the time, but I am also a passionate fighter for the working stiff on the boats since I am one myself. Anytime there is an injustice perpetrated against us it really burns my butt and everyone here already knows that I am not the quiet type to burn in silence!

Once again, my very sincere thanks to all who care and are with me on this one…

[QUOTE=c.captain;81616]Everyone of us in the industry must remember that any opportunity for seagoing employment denied to an American mariner makes our position just that one little bit weaker. If each and every protection accorded to us was honored we might well have what the Norwegians have in their waters…4 weeks on and 6 off with pay! Now wouldn’t that be nice!

In order for American mariners to get their rights respected does take effort and action on all of our parts. That’s what we must do here with Veolia.

.[/QUOTE]
The Norwegians are all Union Sailors.

[QUOTE=Azimuth;82341]The Norwegians are all Union Sailors too.[/QUOTE]

and make more than an equivalent American mariner plus also get any taxes due to the US Treasury paid by their employer so then take a credit against their national taxes owed for tax they don’t actually pay themselves! They there’s the issue of travel costs etc,

Why on earth with the fact that a Norwegian costs so much more do so many companies want them versus us? One is that Norwegians take care of themselves and don’t care if it costs them more. Norwegian vessel owners also look down on us Americans and think we’re all amateurs. In their eyes, they are the only true seafarers! There is also the Jones Act liability issue that has been discussed previously, but I don’t see US companies going out of business because of unseaworthiness claims American mariners have come to appreciate our jobs and don’t want to file frivolous suits. Those who do don’t last long in the business!

You would think that it is a no brainer to hire the American but there are plenty of companies (Maersk Drilling) who will tell you they are committed to going 100% US but always find some excuse why they can’t. I was there and know of what I speak. Veolia is the same way. There is one member of gCaptain who was a token American on the KINGFISHER who has posted here before in the past on this subject who finally had enough of their BS and left. I hope he is still here reading this thread.

[QUOTE=c.captain;82343]and make more than an equivalent American mariner plus also get any taxes due to the US Treasury paid by their employer so then take a credit against their national taxes owed for tax they don’t actually pay themselves! They there’s the issue of travel costs etc,

Why on earth with the fact that a Norwegian costs so much more do so many companies want them versus us? One is that Norwegians take care of themselves and don’t care if it costs them more. Norwegian vessel owners also look down on us Americans and think we’re all amateurs. In their eyes, they are the only true seafarers! There is also the Jones Act liability issue that has been discussed previously, but I don’t see US companies going out of business because of unseaworthiness claims American mariners have come to appreciate our jobs and don’t want to file frivolous suits. Those who do don’t last long in the business!

You would think that it is a no brainer to hire the American but there are plenty of companies (Maersk Drilling) who will tell you they are committed to going 100% US but always find some excuse why they can’t. I was there and know of what I speak. Veolia is the same way. There is one member of gCaptain who was a token American on the KINGFISHER who has posted here before in the past on this subject who finally had enough of their BS and left. I hope he is still here reading this thread.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know about all Norwegians but the ones I’m working with do not make as much as what the US boat companies (I generalize here) are paying. At least not the Licensed Officers.