Understanding China

Chinese taking over consumerism…
Biggest ground floor retail store in Shanghai is the Apple store, totally packed 18 hours a day

Which provided Europe and Japan with updated infrastructure courtesy of the USA.

Yes it is a declared Chinese policy to promote local production for sale to local consumers.

You mean the have a China First policy?

Maybe America should do the same thing.

2 Likes

Yes that’s right. They realized that they were becoming too dependent on export of cheap goods to other countries.

They are now growing their industry and GDP by some imported idea called consumerism.

It also solve the problem of being accused of being too efficient in producing “cheap s*it”, as well as their dependency on access to foreign markets.

With a captive market of 1.3 bn. consumers, why should they accept abuse from smaller and less efficient nations that don’t appreciate their efforts?

The Chinese middle class is fast outphasing both the US and Europe, both in numbers and affluence:

You mean they run China like a vertically integrated corporation with a senor management class, a bureaucracy Class, and a worker bee class? But no welfare.

Maybe America should try that?

4 Likes

you cant own land or vote
massive tax on everything imported

Yes, no such thing as free and fair trade; we need a massive tax on everything too.

1 Like

Yes I think USA should try something different. Learning from other countries, incl. China, may not be a bad idea.

I agree. I’m glad that the President is trying to emulate China First policies, by adopting America First.

2 Likes

Chinese can vote in local and national elections, but only candidates approved by the Communist Party can stand in national elections:

IOW Much like in most countries, a small group picks the candidates. There are more and more independent candidates standing in local elections, however.

Land ownership is back:

Import duties in China is in line with WTO agreement:
https://www.export.gov/article?id=China-Import-Tariffs

Sorry to bring facts to the table all the time.
It kind of ruin long held and cherished perceptions I know.

China is evolving from a central economy towards that of a mixed economy and has been for about 50 years. The other thing to keep in mind is China takes a long view, after all they have been around as an economic power a few thousand years longer than the USA has existed. If it takes them another 50 years to become a full mixed economy they aren’t worried, they will evolve to whatever economic state is needed for survival. The 240 year old USA on the other hand does not take a long view, the next election or quarterly stock report is about as long as they look ahead. Over the last 50 years the USA has evolved from a mixed economy to that of a near corporatist state. Understanding China is not difficult, understanding the de-evolution of the US economy is not difficult either. As someone said, “history doesn’t repeat itself but it does rhyme”

2 Likes

One of my neighbors in America is a retired college professor. She owned a house in Beijing for many years, and did very well when she sold it. I don’t know if she owned the land. She also ran an adoption agency helping Americans adopt Chinese children. She lived in ?China for several years. Her perspectives on China are quite interesting, and I consider them more accurate than what I read in the news.

Other neighbors own a small private school in America, and they have helped set up several similar schools in China. They travel to China several times a year. Interesting perspectives from people with boots on the ground observing changes in China.

That is true. I also have friends who have lived in and currently travel often to China. Their perspective seems to vary on their preconceived notions before they went there in the first place. However, each agrees the place is changing fast. Whether it is for the good or the bad is ultimately up to the Chinese people to decide. The rest of the world should keep an open mind but at the same time realize they are dealing with a serious major economic power that they can try to understand or be consumed by. For many years China has been involved all over the globe with investments in other countries infrastructure. They figure this will pay dividends and they are probably right.

All land in China is lease hold since the commies took over.
I had dinner with an Architect in Shanghai who said some of the original lease’s are about to expire and everyone is waiting to see what will happen.

1 Like
1 Like

https://www.barrons.com/articles/why-teslas-cars-cost-50-more-in-china-1492193073

1 Like

Tesla couldn’t even make a car if not for the parts imported from China. I wouldn’t have a cell phone or computer if not for parts from China. No one held a gun to Apple, Tesla or any other corporation and told them they must get their parts from China. No, they went to China and worked out a deal with those “communists” to make their parts for them and no one stopped them. You the consumer won, you got your consumer goods for less money than you would have paid for them had they been manufactured in your country. The “USA” corporations raked in billions of profits from the deal which they stashed in overseas accounts and stock prices went thru the roof compared to 20 years ago. It’s a win-win-win, as long as you have a job.
That China is protecting themselves and their workers from competition now should surprise no one. From the average workers standpoint the Chinese government cares more about their workers than the US government does theirs. That is not the fault of the Chinese.

2 Likes

Singapore have high duty on imported cars (among other means) to regulate the number of vehicles on the roads. Is Singapore or China breaking WTO rules??