Understanding China

I’d be happy to pay a little more for electronics built in the US. A new iPhone costs almost $1000. The first one cost probably $10 million to build, but in mass production I doubt that Apple pays over $50 for them in China. If it cost them $100 to build them here Apple could still make good money on the for $1000. China is putting spying backdoors into everything they build for us. Better to build it here even if it costs double.

2 Likes

its mainly assembly done in china to make use of he cheap labour all the parts come from everywhere else.
Globalisation, you just go to the cheapest places for each part of the process

reality versus what is in the constitution just to make the rest rest of the world feel warm and cuddly

1 Like

I’m afraid you are a decade or more behind when it comes to China. Upgrading required.

Globalization is opening markets, especially in developing world for western dominance, goods and services, while maintaining a customs wall around Europe and North America.

It appears that not only this church was blown up but several other illegally constructed building in the same area:

I presume it is bad that China enforce their building and zoning laws, but OK if western countries do so??

Remembering the “City Harvest Church” affair in Singapore a couple of years ago I’m not surprised that China wants to restrict those kind of American inspired and funded congregations from flourishing.
BTW; ChinaAid is rumored to be partly funded by CIA.

I notice that every little newspaper and internet publication in USA has eagerly taken up this story from SCMP.
Maybe it has something to do with the American paranoia about the rise of China??:
http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1085122.shtml
Get over it and try to profit from it, rather than fight it. China will rise and become the largest economy in the world soon. (It is not if, it is just a matter of time)

I’m not sure what you mean there, globalisation has dropped western products in the developing world or the other way around?
Are there Chinese products in the west or just western products assembled in China in the west?
Apple are smart enough to know they could shift that iphone factory anywhere as I dont think there are any chinese parts in it?
Might have something to do with Foxcon talking about opening a factory in the USA
Sure China will be the largest economy in the world, thats a given but depending how you calculate that?
Middle class in India is already bigger than the entire population of the USA, are we buying Indian products?

The origin of content to make Iphone 6:

Not sure if it has changed any to make the present models of Iphone.

I found a page that actually listed the parts in a Iphone, I dont remember if there was anything from China?
I will try to find it
edit>

ok the chassis is made in China

It is a well known fact that China do have a problem with air pollution, largely of it’s own making.

What may not be as well known is that they are also using innovative ways to deal with it:

In Zhenshen, with a population of 12 mill., ALL buses are now electric:

There is also the Solar Road:

Sniping at China is all the rage but perhaps the anger should be focused at our own leaders. As Jack Ma the founder of Alibaba said.
“It’s not that other countries steal jobs from you guys,” Ma said. "It’s your strategy. You did not distribute the money and things in a proper way."
Ma said that when Thomas Friedman published the 2005 pro-globalization tribute The World is Flat, taking advantage of the world economy seemed like “a perfect strategy” for the U.S.
“We just want the technology, and the IP, and the brand, and we’ll leave the other jobs” to other countries like Mexico and China, he said, according to Business Insider. “American international companies made millions and millions of dollars from globalization.”
“The past 30 years, IBM, Cisco, Microsoft, they’ve made tens of millions—the profits they’ve made are much more than the four Chinese banks put together,” he continued. “But where did the money go?”
“The money goes to Wall Street. Then what happened? Year 2008 wiped out $19.2 trillion in U.S. income,” he said. What’s more, he added, “In the past 30 years, America had 13 wars spending $14.2 trillion…no matter how good your strategy is you’re supposed to spend money on your own people.”
“What if the money was spent on the Midwest of the United States?” he asked. “What if they had spent part of that money on building up their infrastructure, helping white-collar and blue-collar workers? You’re supposed to spend money on your own people.”

5 Likes

China, India, and other places are only good at one thing: state sponsored theft of American intellectual property and mass producing American designs with slave labor.

1 Like

If you are baiting for a snide remark you got it.
Upgrade your general knowledge of the world around you.

look around your home/office/factory
any Chinese designed products

Shangdong Container Terminal almost entirely automated:

https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d4d7a4e30594464776c6d636a4e6e62684a4856/share_p.html

1 Like

they just need the automated ship

Those are coming. Maybe not tomorrow, but within a decade or so. (At least small feeders)

Yup, automation is coming. Timeline is tough to predict.

I thought I did see two operators in a control room with joysticks.

I have to wonder how they secure the containers on the ship? Before anyone says 'Automation" well that’s one more system onboard that needs to be maintained!

By using open hatch and cells arrangement:

Automated Twist locks also reduce manual handling:

Chinese completes tracks for a new railway station in 9 hrs.:

Beat that!!!