Terrestrial question

On the lapware test modules for near coastal terrestrial there are questions on mid latitude and great circle sailings. Is there a chance of those on the exam? For near coastal?

[QUOTE=Ctony;143430]On the lapware test modules for near coastal terrestrial there are questions on mid latitude and great circle sailings. Is there a chance of those on the exam? For near coastal?[/QUOTE]

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=6262b5a1aae521465a4cd4647bc07f64&node=se46.1.11_1910&rgn=div8

[QUOTE=jdcavo;143532]http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=6262b5a1aae521465a4cd4647bc07f64&node=se46.1.11_1910&rgn=div8[/QUOTE]

Yeah I went to this link before posting…my retarded ass can’t figure out how to read the graph.

Figured I would bump this for recent feedback…

I recently tested module 205 n/c. Failed by one! So anyway I figured out my mistakes, and now I am curious if anyone has gotten a mercator sailing question when they tested for this module? There wasn’t one on my first run. I haven’t spent much time on these, because I was told by some friends to not worry about them. I will be retesting next week and can’t delay it because of work and my app expiring soon…
I’m hoping my retake will be similair to my first…sun az, sun amp, sunrise/sunsent, time tick, etc…

I’ve seen them on Lapware practice tests for 500 master. Remember that there are examples of these and the formulas in bowditch II in the exam room. And if your not good with the trig identities look in the math chapter of bowditch II.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;143532]http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=6262b5a1aae521465a4cd4647bc07f64&node=se46.1.11_1910&rgn=div8[/QUOTE]

I’m sure that the USCG intended this CFR to be helpful when they promulgated it, but it’s not. This is yet another example of the USCG and mariners talking past each other without meaningful communication. An important part of communicating is “know your audience” and tune your message to the audience. If communication is the purpose of the English language, this yet another example of how frequently the USCG “misses the boat.”

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Ctony;156712]Figured I would bump this for recent feedback…

I recently tested module 205 n/c. Failed by one! So anyway I figured out my mistakes, and now I am curious if anyone has gotten a mercator sailing question when they tested for this module? There wasn’t one on my first run. I haven’t spent much time on these, because I was told by some friends to not worry about them. I will be retesting next week and can’t delay it because of work and my app expiring soon…
I’m hoping my retake will be similair to my first…sun az, sun amp, sunrise/sunsent, time tick, etc…[/QUOTE]

I don’t know why these topics should be on a near coastal exam, but with a tutor, you can learn mid-latitude and Mercator sailing in one day. It’s just pushing the right buttons on the calculator, and looking up the right values in the Bowditch tables.

Thanks all.

I was looking on the NMC website at the bank of questions. For the module 205, there are near coastal and oceans questions. Is this why lapware has them mixed in? Either way, a friend of mine who sat for a near coastal license a couple years ago said he got one, but passed the test anyway. Guess I will hope for the best and try to learn it as good as I can with the time I have.

[QUOTE=Ctony;156789]Thanks all.

I was looking on the NMC website at the bank of questions. For the module 205, there are near coastal and oceans questions. Is this why lapware has them mixed in? Either way, a friend of mine who sat for a near coastal license a couple years ago said he got one, but passed the test anyway. Guess I will hope for the best and try to learn it as good as I can with the time I have.[/QUOTE]

If you understand plane sailing, Mercartor sailing is not difficult to learn.

Mercator sailing uses DLo (Difference in Longitude) and m (lower case). m is equal to the (absolute (always positive)) difference between M1 and M2.

M1 and M2 are found by entering Bowditch Table 5 with L1 (latitude 1) and L2 (latitude 2). m is the difference (subtract the smaller from the larger)

For example if L1 = 0 degrees (the equator) and L2 = 1 degree then (from Table 5) M1 = 0 and M2= 59.6.

m (lower case) = M2-M1 = 59.6 - 0

= 59.6.

As you know when you measure distance on a Mercator chart the miles per inch varies with latitude, (more apparent on a small scale (large area) chart)). That’s why you have to go through the rigmarole of converting to m.

Welcome back!

When I tested for terrestrial back in '05 there wasn’t any sailings on my test. Azimuth, amplitude, zone time of sunrise/set, eta, fuel consumption, speed by rpm, and I forgot which others, but no sailings. There were some for celestial though. Good luck to you.

My oceans test had 3 or 4 different kinds of sailings on it. I must’ve guessed right though since I passed it.

I think Near Coastal can possibly have a sailing on it. But I only had a few tide/current, time of ETA, azimuth of a star, amplitude, slip, set and drift, and a few others.

Just go off the examples in Bowditch, and replace the numbers depending on the type of sailing. There are two examples per type, either a Position with a direction and distance, or two positions looking for direction and distance.

Thanks guys…I passed a couple weeks ago and my retake of module 205 was formatted the same as my first one, luckily. No sailings questions.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;158142]My oceans test had 3 or 4 different kinds of sailings on it. I must’ve guessed right though since I passed it.

I think Near Coastal can possibly have a sailing on it. But I only had a few tide/current, time of ETA, azimuth of a star, amplitude, slip, set and drift, and a few others.[/QUOTE]

See 46 CFR 11.910.

Yes I should clarify I meant for my 3/m AGT, for 500T make sure you look at the CFR for what’s on it.