National Academies say U.S. research fleet needs rebuilding

There are mostly very good and valid reasons why an OSV works fine for a research vessel and a few important reasons why they suck. Fist off there is history here, the Gyre (was) and most industry RVs are based on mud/service boats. They work great for 90% of situations and are really good in the GOM (don’t require a deep water port). They have great decks space, are new and cheap, they are efficient enough on fuel, and they can be expanded easily. Of course you are going to need to build out the house to take over most of the back deck for more cabin/lab/office space, which will impact stability, and those mud tanks will be empty which will further make the ship a pig. This is the main reason OSV, fishing, any other vessel doesn’t work well as an RV - a true global research vessel needs to stand up to the worst the sea can throw at it. Not may research vessels can do this now.

Back in the day NOAA used to make ships that were tanks. I’ve been on the Davidson and the Mt. Mitchell and without hesitation I can say those ships were built to take on heavy seas. The very design of them suggest this, deep keels, most living space below the water line, and they were short (compared to modern boats). Now everything has to look like the TAGS-60 boats (which are slow semi pigs). I’m not sure why it must be cheaper to make.

So in parting. Lets use OSVs is you really want a survey boat that isn’t global, but can do 90% of missions. I can see why NOAA would want to custom build their own global class vessel, but they should really go back to older designs. Deep, short, heavy. I’d jump at the chance to be on the Mt Mitchell again in 100knot winds, some crappy converted OSV or fishing vessel (without fish) I’d be heaving all over the place.

1. dry bulk mud tanks come out and that space below the main deck is converted to berthing, workshops, etc… liquid mud becomes SW ballast

2. permanent ballast takes care of the issues of adding weights above the lightship VCG…no issues of submerging a loadline because no cargo to carry. easily you can add new superstructure down half the after deck and be at least two decks high. clear decks on top that can be used for mission equipment

3. I don’t know if you have ever been to the GoM but the days of the 180’ Halter hull (GYRE, MOANA WAVE, ROSS SEAL, etc…) are dead and gone. new OSVs are quite capable to handle 40’ seas even if they don’t experience them in the Gulf. plenty of HP, lots of thrusters, DP2, built to SOLAS, 1200m2 deck space, cranes in many cases, etc… how could you miss?

You want a OSV to be converted to a functional RV and CHEAP?? (Relative to designing and building new in US yards)
Here is my suggestion:

• Purchase any US built OSV and take it to Norway for conversion. Main requirement is that it has a US Builder’s Certificate.
  • Contract Skipsteknisk AS to prepare conversion plan. (They have designed most new RVs built worldwide the last decade or more)
  • Specify state-of-the-art Norwegian machinery and equipment.
  • Pick any one of the major yards in Norway to do the conversion.

You will get a top modern RV at half the price (or less) of building one at a US yard and in half the time.

Is this a novel idea?? No, it is how the modern US Factory Trawler fleet was created.
I believe the trawlers that was converted in Norway are still among the most modern in the US fleet?

Sure, there may only be the keel plates and the Builder’s Certificate left of the original OSV, but it will be able to be register under US flag as US built.

PS> Building from scratch in China from Norwegian design and with Norwegian equipment would probably be even cheaper.

1 Like

that was a CRIMINAL SCAM and LOOPHOLE which was CLOSED!

plenty of ALL US built factory trawlers as well so no need at all to go to Norway for the work…that can be done right here thank you very much!

I thought that would get your attention. :innocent:

The comments section is a hoot.

1 Like

Here is the largest of the US Factory Trawlers that was converted in Norway in the 1980’s:

Converted from a 1966-built Container Vessel “Mauna Kea” in 1988 by Ulstein Hatlo:

Present Owner, American Seafood, claim she is the most modern sea-processors on the world:
http://americanseafoodscompany.com/vessels/northern-eagle

PS> Some of the smaller Factory Trawlers were converted from OSVs.

Designed by Skipsteknisk AS, Aalesund, Norway, with mostly Norwegian equipment on board, incl. the fish processing factory:
http://www.fishermensfinest.com/index.php/ships-blog/180-americas-finest

PS> This has been debated earlier as well:

BTW: The case has been settled and the vessel will be registered under US flag:
https://www.goanacortes.com/news/article_535312aa-7188-11e7-839b-87eeec63a84b.html
(Subject to Senate approval)

that is not the largest trawler in the US fleet…this one is

but alas, it too came from Norway

Ooops!! You are right (as usual) this one is even bigger and started her life as an OSV:

Another Fishery Research vessel of ST design has hit the water.
This one built by Damen Shipyards Galati, Romania for Angola:

I bet this one cost less than half of what it will eventually cost the US taxpayers to build something similar at a US yard, even with the same design and equipment.