Mass maritime

ok i’m going to clear up something for you.

I am a current Cadet at mass maritime and to protect myself i will not give my name.

If your on the waiting list and have applied to any other colleges go to one of the other colleges for your fall semester and fill out an application for the spring semester. We take spring transfers all the time. and by going to Umass Lowell you can get some of the more dull classes out of the way like ur English class and History classes done with. So when you transfer in the Spring you haven’t missed much. All students to matter how many credits they have have to do their Freshman fall semester because of the requirements for our Semester at see. I am a MT cadet and i can tell you that transferring in the spring time will not harm your major if you are strong and really want this career. Its a good one, Go for it.

I agree, my constant advice to prospective students is to go and get as many of the non-maritime related classes as possible from another school. Be aware that mma can be very finicky about what classes they will allow to transfer in ,especially math related courses. Communicate with admissions and the registrar’s office, identify yourself as a potential transfer student and find out what classes they will accept from what schools.

You can also make this exact same arguement about marine engineers. Cruise liners, tugs, and many other shipboard engine rooms are now computerized and can be run at the push of a button of flip of a switch. You will make the arguement that it is more complicated than that and that I am over simplifying; well so is the deck officers job and so did you.

In essence no computers are eliminating the human element from either major, most likely ever. So, do what you know you want to do but keep an open mind for your opinions are subject to change.

Lol. I wish my engine room could be run by a flip of a switch or push of a button. Another argument that can be made is engineers can also go anywhere on land and run power plants or manufacturing plant. That’s why there seems to be a shortage of engineers at sea. There are far more opportunities ashore than at sea for engineers.

This might be the best post I’ve read in a long time. As a recent grad of NY Maritime, if I was to do it all over again I would get the deck license and engineering degree. I have a business degree and it don’t mean anything. I’m stuck working away from the family for the rest of my life unless I can find a sweet desk job.

Or you can pay everything off then go shore side and live off a pretty good paying desk job

ryanwood get off the internet the Coral isnt going to run itself! Hows life on the pilings

Lol man i wish we were off the pilings, the longer we sit here, the better the chances are we have to crew change offshore. Other than that, things are good. How’s everything with you?

I will agree, the engineering degree would have been a better way to go though.

I graduated from mass last year great place to be from but terrible place to be. U seem like u would enjoy the regiment ALOT more than I did though. Being a deck officer is awesome but what these guys are saying is you can’t drive boats on land. That’s why engineers can go work ashore. So in 40 years I will be stuck at sea still and they won’t. Get the point?
If you really wana go their def go to another school first and get the gen Ed stuff done with. I didn’t and that sucked. Try not to be a dick to the you goes if you go their too. Just makes there lives crappy.

My son is at Massachusetts Maritime now. I am a captain at Chouest and I tell him to look hard at the engineering program. ECO is always looking for engineers and are in demand everywhere. Ultimately, he has to choose what he will enjoy and what best fits him. I have no regrets going to the wheelhouse, though I am a hawspiper.

How much do 3rd a/e make at Eco right out of school??

Depends on the boat, division, schedule. If you haven’t finished school yet, my first suggestion would be to worry about wages when it’s closer to graduation time. But if you are interested in ballpark figures they don’t try vary hard to hide it.check the website.