Lifeboat As Rescue Platform?

If you had read the SailNet discussion completely, (which I FULLY understand not doing), you would have also read more statements about their Rescue Boats:

1. They were suspended on cables on each side - I was not talking about the one on a ramp.
  2. When they entered the Canadian Port, they had to lower and raise one to follow Port Regulations; which proves they can be easily deployed.
  3. While this deployment was happening, I asked the Captain of the KJ why they hadn’t deployed one to retrieve me. First he said they couldn’t retrieve it because the waves would have made it very difficult / impossible to reattach the hoisting cables. To which I responded, couldn’t you have towed it AFTER hoisting ALL the people out of it from the stern of the Kim Jacob? He looked down and said: We’re not the Coast Guard, and I didn’t think of that. Which indicates he, like me, realized that was a viable process.
  4. Granted, the 2 crew who would have deployed in their Rescue boat would have been exposed to more discomfort (it was a sunny day, not bad weather), than just staying on deck, but their exposure to danger would have been absolutely minimal.
  5. If you were the person in the ocean, drowning, you too would have wanted the only human beings near you to use the equipment they had to save your life. Trying to rationalize letting the person in the water drown, while you take pictures of him, on a sunny day, would clearly strike you - the person drowning - as a cold thing to do.

A couple other points should also be cleared up:

1. I wanted to transfer only my wife onto the KJ, since there was no real reason to abandon ship.
  2. The Captain of the KJ and I discussed the plan prior to their actual actions on our behalf, for them to go outside of our ‘sea anchor’ and use a grappling hook to grab it. Then, use that line to pull us to their stern. So, that is why I had not pulled the sea anchor in as they approached.
  3. On their second attempt, they intersected the line, which quickly drew us alongside them, and pulled us forward until we were squished from the waves pushing us up, into their anchor housing, which smashed our boat like a giant hammer. I couldn’t cut the sea anchor line unless I had responded to do so, in a very short period of time. Sadly, I did not, and within seconds, that idea became a deadly one.
  4. The KJ kept circling me as I sank and re-emerged, with me on their windward side, though I was screaming to them to approach me from the other side. The problem was that the wind kept pushing their buoy back toward them, as a person threw it at me, sometimes even coming right back, hitting the ‘thrower’. Had they approached, with me down wind from them, throwing a buoy at me would have been carried toward me, by the wind, instead of rendering the thrown buoy dysfunctional.

Overall, I made the largest mistake of my life by abdicating my role as Captain, for my role as a husband, to the woman who had it with our cruise and wanted off the boat following the ‘issues’ we were experiencing, on our way to Europe.
I followed that error up with more errors too.
I DID thank the KJ crew and officers profusely. But, simply because I managed to live through this deadly mess, does not mean WE (all of us) can’t learn from this.
And finally, if the roles were reversed, and I was onboard a boat, with someone drowning near my boat, on a sunny day, yes, with some waves too, I surely would have utilized all of my available equipment to rescue that person. And THAT is what I naively ‘expected’ of my fellow man.

Your assumptions about the chainplates were false. What drove the two shrouds / stays to break at their connections on the deck, was something called ‘harmonic resonance’ occurring from the mast. We had stepped and re-installed the main mast prior to this voyage, and had not (as I have since learned I should have), re-torqued the turnbuckles with the sails up.
So, the main mast was vibrating - fore to aft - and was therefore bending the tab of the chainplates fore and aft, repeatedly, until they broke.
We HAD checked the condition of the chainplates while the interior / cabin walls were removed, during the full re-fit in Fort Lauderdale a year earlier to the doomed voyage. Now, it is true, I did not have them Xrayed or use the blue dye to check them, but nothing was rotted, or rusting.

Three plus years thinking on this and you still have no clue. The fact that there is an emergency does not give the tanker captain the green light to operate in an unsafe manner.

Don’t forget, “We are not the Coast Guard”. Our duty is to save lives in distress at sea so long as we can do so without endangering our own lives. That’s a very short paraphrase of what’s been noted years ago in this thread.

Lifeboats are lifesaving appliances, look through some professional forums and various countries Coast Guards to see all of the precautions and alerts we have due to injuries and fatalities from simply testing them in good conditions. The non free-fall lifeboats are not as easily deployed as one would think. And certainly not easily recovered in any kind of sea. They would have been exposed to hazards from the moment they got on the lifeboat simply from getting in it, not simply bothered by discomfort.

If my ship is sinking, in danger of exploding, or in extremis and the Captain orders me to the boat, sure I’m going. But to take three or four crew from a limited supply of people is something that would certainly not be at the top of my list of ideas to affect a rescue that can be done another way that does not put the crew in as much of a hazardous position.

It may sound cold to a drowning man that a Captain decided to not do something that you deem would have been more convenient. It also would be pretty cold for the Captain, or the companies lawyers, to have to explain to a seafarers spouse that a member of his or her crew perished in a rescue attempt, especially when the actions causing the death did not need to be accomplished.

Sorry, not sorry. Be happy you had a ships Captain that was good enough at ship handling to get you on board.

4 Likes

Actually, he wasn’t ‘good’ at getting me onboard. First, their maneuvers destroyed our vessel, then since he kept approaching with me to windward, it was only by the grace of God, that the wind died for 30 seconds, and a buoy got to me. I had ‘gone down’ numerous times, and had only re-emerged when my body expelled the water from inside me, which enabled me to fight to the surface, again, and again.
Your image of the dangers for some men to get into a 24 person capacity lifeboat with a strong diesel engine, fully contained, (not an ‘open boat’), in the late morning, on a sunny blue sky day, is quite wrong. No ‘spouses’ would have been receiving any bad news.
And, again, I challenge YOU to be drowning, while looking up at those RESCUE BOATS and not think they should be USED to get you.
Addendum: If the ‘rescuers’ actually aren’t willing to do what they CAN DO, to save someone, they would be better to not stop to ‘render assistance’ at all.

Sell, maybe if after reading all of your posts, they might just reconsider putting themselves in danger to safe your ass!

1 Like

Just going by the AMVER press release here.
http://www.amver.com/Content/Docs/PressReleases/07-29-11_press_release_2.pdf

"The sailors sent a distress call to U.S. Coast Guard rescue personnel in Boston stating
their sails were torn, the engine was disabled, and they were taking on water."
Sounds like you were in distress there, and in need of assistance, and you got it.

"The rescue was complicated by the size of the Liberian flagged tanker and the worsening
weather conditions as winds over 30 knots and waves over 8 feet hampered the operation. "
I have yet to sail as a vessel master, but those weather conditions are not something I would subject anybody under my authority to when there was another, safer method of rescuing you. Which they did.

"One of the Triumph sailors fell into the ocean while attempting to climb aboard the Kim
Jacob but the crew kept a sharp lookout and recovered the survivor three hours after he
went into the water. "
After participating any many planned man overboard drills in good weather, I have a great respect for any crew that can keep you in sight for three hours in eight foot seas.

Addendum: If the ‘rescuers’ actually aren’t willing to do what they CAN DO, to save someone, they would be better to not stop to ‘render assistance’ at all. They did. You are alive to gripe about it. My hat goes off to the Captain and Crew several years later.

5 Likes

Jesus you are a miserable cunt.

For the record, if you have another boat I think we’d all like the name and description so when we get the next Amver alert we can ignore it.

5 Likes

hear, hear…they should have just let you drown since it it was YOU who ended up in the water mandating their phenomenal efforts to save YOU when it would have been very easy for the tanker master to simply say " oh well, we tried but the guy is FUCKED now"

btw, I am with Traitor_Yankee…you are a miserable cunt as well as a bloody obtuse fool who hasn’t an effing clue about ships and the sea. Lifeboats are NOT suspended by cables you idiot…they are suspended by wire rope falls. Further, they are designed to only be launched at sea and not recovered AND they are not designed to be towed for long distances behind their own ship. There is a very great likelihood that the lifeboat would have rolled over whilst under tow and thus lost to the ship and her crew if there had been a need for it after your rescue PLUS who was going to compensate the ship owner for its loss…YOU? Thirdly, I would like to know the risk to the vessel crewmembers to be hoisted up to their ship from the lifeboat while astern? I would certainly think great so instead of only YOU perishing, the master would have to explain why he lost two other men in the process of trying to save YOU. Biggest rule of rescues…do not lose any rescuers. YOUR life is NOT worth MORE than theirs!

2 Likes

Ha ha… “Strong Diesel Engine” in a lifeboat… (wiping tears from my eyes from laughing so hard… sorry) Wow, that tells me all I need to know right there. Let me put it this way, I think I rented a moped once that had more oomph than ANY lifeboat engine I’ve ever run. Yes, they’re supposed to be able to go 6 knots for 24 hours… BUT, and this is a big but here, that’s in calm water. Not to mention the fact that aside from the open ones we had on a tanker I was on, they don’t steer worth a sh*t even on glass calm days.

So, you were asking the Captain to put his crew in imminent peril to save you with a way that you don’t fully comprehend the additional dangers of, or the risks that would have entailed to both the crew of the Kim Jacob, AND yourself. You’re alive today to still grouse about this in a thread that was 3 years old (and long dead) until you revived it… that seems like something I’d sit down and just be thankful for.

Side note: Before you say that I don’t understand sailboats and pleasure craft (because I just have a feeling that one is coming), lemme stop you right there. I grew up on sailboats, raced sailboats, did long cruises on sailboats, and am a Quartermaster Sea Scout that became a professional mariner/Captain. So I know both mentalities at play here, and while it may inconvenience your thought process, what you suggest should have been done for your rescue with a lifeboat, wouldn’t have been prudent or safe seamanship for the Master of the Kim Jacob.

3 Likes

Of course they don’t. They were designed for a very specific purpose. And that purpose is to save our tail in the event our ship sinks or is about to explode. Now, I know some are not made very well and some of the designs really stink, and the various mechanisms for launching can be sketchy, but so long as they actually safely launch they are better than a raft or getting in the water when they are actually ‘needed’.

We had a free-fall boat hop off the skids since it was not secured with the turnbuckles on the outskirts of Hurricane Ike. Well yeah, that was bad, very bad, to lose a lifeboat. But you know what, it was recovered later and after repair of the sprinkler bars and some other work, was able to go back in service after floating around the edge of a hurricane for a few days. I’m sure it would not have been comfortable, but it did not sink and was not destroyed. So, apart from the fact that it should not have gone in, the boat actually did the job.

1 Like

Yep… I had this in my post too, but figured it drew away from the point I was making so I deleted it.

“Side note 2: I’ve heard many a crewmember say “screw the lifeboats, if the ship ever sinks, I’m going for a raft” and I’m sure a few of the other guys on here (especially the ones on ships with free falls, but that’s a whole other story) have heard the same. Would you really want to be towed in that for what might be days? Weeks? The buckets in them aren’t just for bailing… they’re for puke and toilets too for a reason.”

And yes, I’d rather be in the pukey stinky lifeboat than a raft any day if I had to abandon, and I spend a lot of time explaining how much more miserable a raft is in rough seas to those crew members.

1 Like

I’ll take a free-fall over a davit launched lifeboat any day. Fewer moving parts to fail. Royal pain to recover after a test launch though. Dead flat calm and use the FRC to help it a bit. Mainly since the four-point hoisting bridle on the ones we had were in a spot that a couple of AB’s had to get in interesting positions and worry about pinch points. So, dead flat calm in the Gulf was the best to test launch.

Not because of the launch, that’s easy and on the semi-submersible I was on at drilling draft it was not much of a drop. It was mainly due to the recovery. But, well, they were made to launch and keep you alive, that’s all.

1 Like

As I mentioned in another post, unless people REALLY want to save someone, even if you have to use all of your equipment to do it, then don’t bother. You can’t imagine the frustration as you are drowning, seeing people on a sunny late morning, taking pictures of you.

I am NOT alive because they ‘rendered assistance’, I am alive IN SPITE of their ‘assistance’.
Yes, I suck. It is very unreasonable of anyone to expect anyone else to USE their LIFEBOAT to pluck someone out of the water. I hope YOU remember that if you are DROWNING and LOOKING UP AT A 36 foot 24 person capacity LIFEBOAT, while the guys are taking pictures of you for 3 - 4 hours on a sunny late morning.
I trust you will wave everyone off - because you wouldn’t want them to use that LIFEBOAT just to save YOU, right?

"not something I would subject anybody under my authority to when there was another, safer method of rescuing you. Which they did."
So… you would stand on your deck and take pictures of the person drowning, on a sunny day, (the 30 knot wind was an exaggeration, and they were 4 - 8 foot waves)?? What ‘safer method’ did they employ??? BS. It was by the grace of God that the wind died for 30 seconds and the buoy reached me. While they were still approaching me AGAIN with the wind blowing from me to them…

believe whatever you want SIR but I would not have blamed the master one bit for not making the massive effort he did and to have left you to the sea. He could have said, “I can’t maneuver this huge ship to pick him up” and just not even tried to recover you…no law that says after you have tried you have to keep trying forever…didjya ever think about that one? Hmmm? I personally wished he had with your attitude towards him!

such an ass you are

the only statement you have made which I agree with Herr DoucheSabbag

and how exactly did you end up in the water without ANY flotation aid of your own? some offshore sailor you are!

2 Likes

The AMVER press release said he had a pfd on. But you know, on a calm sunny day several hundred miles North East of Cape Cod those puny waves may have had a stealth mode to pull him under anyways.

Look. Most sailors will go to tender assistance to one in distress because it’s the right thing to do. Others will because there are statutory requirements ordering them to do the right thing.

But you should have spent the last three years better understanding the risks involved in even seemingly simple tasks at sea in seemingly perfect weather.

1 Like

Perhaps we got off on the wrong foot. It may have been a better conversation had you not assumed just because things were not done to your satisfaction that the Captain and crew were cold hearted. Of course they wanted to help you, they were there. Don’t be such a jerk.

[quote=“DougSabbag, post:121, topic:12107”]
So… you would stand on your deck and take pictures of the person drowning, on a sunny day, (the 30 knot wind was an exaggeration, and they were 4 - 8 foot waves)?? What ‘safer method’ did they employ??? BS. It was by the grace of God that the wind died for 30 seconds and the buoy reached me. While they were still approaching me AGAIN with the wind blowing from me to them…
[/quote] I don’t know what safer method they employed, but it worked since you are indeed alive. Perhaps you should call out AMVER for lying about the weather in the press release? If anything, I would expect a bit of underestimation on the wave height. Sure, some might over-estimate the seas to make themselves look cool, but from a simple perspective, the waves will appear smaller from the deck of a ship that size since they are looking down on the waves.

Part of your mistake is insisting that the goals and motivations of the Captain and crew were cold and heartless because they did not decide to affect the rescue in your desired manner as opposed to a nice, “Thanks, I’m grateful, perhaps we can discuss the way the rescue went down and learn from it.”

Perhaps there was a better way of doing the rescue, but it did work.

[quote=“DougSabbag, post:120, topic:12107”]
I am NOT alive because they ‘rendered assistance’, I am alive IN SPITE of their ‘assistance’.
[/quote] So there was somebody else standing by to save you approximately 780 miles northeast of Cape Cod? That’s a nice slap in the face to somebody who came by to render assistance to the people on a boat in distress. And that’s why very few would even take the time to consider your part of the story.

[quote=“DougSabbag, post:120, topic:12107”]
It is very unreasonable of anyone to expect anyone else to USE their LIFEBOAT to pluck someone out of the water.
[/quote] If it endangers the life of said crew, yep. It’s just not reasonable to ask somebody to put themselves in a hazardous position to rescue you.

2 Likes

I honestly and truly can’t believe you are STILL arguing this point Doug. You are only alive to do so in the first place because of the Captain of the KJ - not by your own doing. Remember, YOU got yourself in the position of needing rescue in the first place.

You REALLY need to learn some humility Doug. You owe your freakin’ life to those you criticize.

4 Likes