Coffee in the CFR's

So i’m trying to track down a CFR saying that there must be coffee onboard. i believe there is another part to it that says it must be prepared for the oncoming watch. Its been years since i have seen it and can’t for the life of me remember where to look or find it on google. If anyone has any idea where to look, and could point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

You have got to be kidding! Especially the part about it being required by CFR to be ready for the oncoming watch. Do you intend on quoting it to your relief so that he must have it made when you come on watch?

[QUOTE=dredgeboater;162723]You have got to be kidding! Especially the part about it being required by CFR to be ready for the oncoming watch. Do you intend on quoting it to your relief so that he must have it made when you come on watch?[/QUOTE]

where do these boobs come from? there should be some kind of filter for the first post of someone that they can’t be stoopid

[QUOTE=c.captain;162724]where do these boobs come from? there should be some kind of filter for the first post of someone that they can’t be stoopid[/QUOTE]

Maybe someone will find something. I wonder if the CFRs say anything about putting on a fresh pot before you call the old man?

Oh I wish. God how I wish there was.

The OP might be thinking about the foreign going “articles of agreement” that may, depending on union contracts, specify certain provisions required and the quantity available each day.

You know you might be right, I believe there is something in 46USC regarding the fo’c’sle card which specifies minimum provisions to be provided including coffee. I don’t think there is anything in 46CFR however especially regarding “oncoming watch”.

Now what about that SHIT with Chicory in it…that CRAP should be BANNED from any vessel!

ok ,found it but it says nothing about coffee

46 U.S. Code § 10303 - Provisions

(a) A seaman shall be served at least 3 meals a day that total at least 3,100 calories, including adequate water and adequate protein, vitamins, and minerals in accordance with the United States Recommended Daily Allowances.
(b) The text of subsection (a) of this section shall be included in the agreement required by section 10302 of this title. A copy of the text also shall be posted in a conspicuous place in the galley and forecastle of each vessel.
(c) This section does not apply to a fishing or whaling vessel or a yacht.

I love how they still have “whaling vessels” included even though US flagged whaling is now extinct

[QUOTE=lm1883;162732]I know Irish articles stipulate stuff like minimum amount of oatmeal, potatoes etc… and they even list the fines for being drunk on watch, something like 5 pence.[/QUOTE]

ahhh! oatmeal and potatoes…a diet fit for any good Irishman.

I bet Croatian Articles include an olive oil and bakalar allotment

[QUOTE=Gabe Williamson;162717]So i’m trying to track down a CFR saying that there must be coffee onboard. i believe there is another part to it that says it must be prepared for the oncoming watch. Its been years since i have seen it and can’t for the life of me remember where to look or find it on google. If anyone has any idea where to look, and could point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

You sure you didn’t mean spilling coffee ON the CFRs?

[QUOTE=c.captain;162731]You know you might be right, I believe there is something in 46USC regarding the fo’c’sle card which specifies minimum provisions to be provided including coffee. I don’t think there is anything in 46CFR however especially regarding “oncoming watch”.

Now what about that SHIT with Chicory in it…that CRAP should be BANNED from any vessel!

I love how they still have “whaling vessels” included even though US flagged whaling is now extinct[/QUOTE]

CG 704 (Rev) 3-67 the “Forecastle Card” - I had one posted at the house for a while till one of the kids took it down. ( “said crew agree to conduct themselves in an orderly, faithful, honest, and sober manner…”)

It calls for 3/4 ounce of Coffee (green berry) a day. Also salt pork, beans, rice, corn meal etc.

A Keurig machine for everyone.

[QUOTE=c.captain;162731]You know you might be right, I believe there is something in 46USC regarding the fo’c’sle card which specifies minimum provisions to be provided including coffee. I don’t think there is anything in 46CFR however especially regarding “oncoming watch”.

I love how they still have “whaling vessels” included even though US flagged whaling is now extinct[/QUOTE]

I’ll take community coffee over folgers any day. That crap is like brewed cardboard. The guys I work with have trashed taste buds!

I’m always a little bitter when someone beats me to brewing and I don’t get my starbucks/peets.

[QUOTE=Ctony;162738]I’ll take community coffee over folgers any day. That crap is like brewed cardboard. The guys I work with have trashed taste buds!

I’m always a little bitter when someone beats me to brewing and I don’t get my starbucks/peets.[/QUOTE]

Peets is good but I don’t like Starbucks.

Also, Dunkin Donuts (Dunkies to the New England crowd) is actually pretty good.

I can’t believe people still drink Folgers.

Also, did you know there is a special NOAA blend created just for the FAIRWEATHER?

[QUOTE=catherder;162741]Peets is good but I don’t like Starbucks.

Also, Dunkin Donuts (Dunkies to the New England crowd) is actually pretty good.

I can’t believe people still drink Folgers.

Also, did you know there is a special NOAA blend created just for the FAIRWEATHER?

http://www.timesheraldonline.com/general-news/20150518/600-pounds-of-vallejo-coffee-setting-sail-for-the-arctic[/QUOTE]

Starbucks has been terrible (hardly any better than folgers) ever since they switched to their Pikes Place blend… Pete’s is slightly better but still no good. The quality Keurig blends are the next step up but I won’t drink them. Dunkin Donuts is the cheapest coffee that’s drinkable [B](if [/B]you grind it yourself). The next step up is any light or medium bean roasted locally in the last few weeks.

• Note on locally roasted coffee: get the light or medium roast because dark roast just means the beans have been over cooked… If you want it strong - like I do - then get espresso blend, not dark regular blend

If you are working offshore like it’s 2013 then you can afford the good stuff: Verve.

If you’ve got the deep pockets of a pilot then get the primo stuff: Blue Bottle

But if you want [B]the best[/B] then get the Haranga blend from here: [I][B]http://honeycocoffee.com[/B][/I]

1 Like

Get an aero press and use espresso ground in it! I use cheep Cuban roast Cafe Bustelo. It’s strong fairly smooth and I like it!

[QUOTE=john;162743]Starbucks has been terrible (hardly any better than folgers) ever since they switched to their Pikes Place blend… Pete’s is slightly better but still no good. The quality Keurig blends are the next step up but I won’t drink them. Dunkin Donuts is the cheapest coffee that’s drinkable [B](if [/B]you grind it yourself). The next step up is any light or medium bean roasted locally in the last few weeks.

• Note on locally roasted coffee: get the light or medium roast because dark roast just means the beans have been over cooked… If you want it strong - like I do - then get espresso blend, not dark regular blend

If you are working offshore like it’s 2013 then you can afford the good stuff: Verve.

If you’ve got the deep pockets of a pilot then get the primo stuff: Blue Bottle

But if you want [B]the best[/B] then get the Haranga blend from here: [I][B]http://honeycocoffee.com[/B][/I][/QUOTE]
I plan to check that out.

On board we are limited on what we can get with our particular vendor. When I have money to burn, I like SLO roasted out of san luis obispo…state st out of santa barbara is some good stuff too.

[QUOTE=Ctony;162759]I plan to check that out.

On board we are limited on what we can get with our particular vendor. When I have money to burn, I like SLO roasted out of san luis obispo…state st out of santa barbara is some good stuff too.[/QUOTE]

SLO Roast is good, maybe one notch below Verve, but Honeyco, also roasted in San Luis Obispo, is better. If you’re in the area stop by Kruezberg… Our favorite coffeehouse!

I was in the Army and I’ll drink nearly anything that is hot, less than an hour hold and has caffeine. That said, I usually try to swing by H-E-B (regional supermarket chain that I consider a quality-of-life issue) and grind a pound of Sumatra Mandehling to take to the boat. May have to order some of that HoneyCo Haranga, see what that’s about!

Who drinks coffee? I always thought that was just for decoration. I thought real men just got up and went to work in the morning.