CAMM now accepting Tug Boat Captains

Did you guys read this on the [Council of American Master Mariners homepage](http://www.mastermariner.org/" title="camm)??

[ul]
[li]
[/li]
We would like to invite all the Towboat Captains through-out the
U.S. Flag towboat fleet to join and help our existing membership of
ocean going Masters and Pilots serving the merchant marine
organizations of the world.

CAMM is presently affiliated with maritime companies, organizations,
Masters and seafarers from the U.S., Canada, Britain, Germany and
Belgium, to name a few.

We are teamed up with other international organizations:
International Federation of Ship Master Association, International
Maritime Organization, Central European Ship Masters Association,
Lloyd’s register, Mobile Press Register, The Marine Executives, and
Fairplay. We presently have 12 chapters throughout the U.S. compiling
approximately 1150 active members dedicated to advancing maritime and
nautical science by fostering the exchange of maritime information and
of professional literature.

We, the merchant mariners of the world, presently move 95% of world
commerce which amounts to a stunning 9 trillion dollars, quietly, a
year. You are a part of a proud important fraternity. Join us to help
us improve and serve this proud heritage.

We are soliciting new members from within Towboat Community
providing they have valid USCG Master’s Licenses for a minimum of 500
Gross Tonnage.  This will cover almost all of the ATB’s, ITB’s, Tractor
Tugs and Deep Sea Conventional Towboats.

To join, simply print and complete the membership application on our website at [www.mastermariner.org/membership](http://www.mastermariner.org/membership) and return to Capt. Liz Clark, our Membership Committee Chair. 

[/ul]

Don’t get me wrong I have nothing against tug boat captains but it took me over 10 years to earn my unlimited master’s license and join CAMM. These guys can now take the 2 year associates degree program, get their 1600 ton masters and a skippers job a year or two later. Plus even after having been a member of CAMM for 3 years I’m still not a full time member since I’m still waiting for a skippers job.

Does anyone else think this is horse sh$^? Does any other Master Mariner’s association in the world do this? Did anyone else who’s a member of CAMM fail to get the memo or have a chance to fight this before it was annonced??

-GS

Take a better look at the second link of your post. The new applicants will not be regular members, they’ll be designated “Tonnage” members.

GS-

I wouldn’t worry. Having worked on tugs and unlimited vessels in several positions, including as master; most “tug guys” could care less about a CAMM membership.

There is no associates degree that grants a 1600 ton master, and if there was, it certainly would not grant a job as skipper at the end of it. There is a CADET program at PMI that is 2 years long and includes all STCW and USCG seatime requirements. When you pass the OICNW test, you get a 1600ton mate. An additional 720 8hr days are needed to get a 1600 ton master. During this time, maybe you had the time to complete all of your TOARS (needed to get the master of towing (to tow)…of which an unlimited master (AKA master mariner) is not qualified to operate as per CG policy.

Sorry, don’t get me wrong either. It takes most 1600 ton masters the better part of a decade to become skipper. Maybe your disagreement stems from the fact that you have no earthly idea what is required of a 1600 ton master or towing in general.If seeking exclusiveness is more important than the principals over which an association is founded or chartered, it might be time to form your own if the title is more important than the purpose.

One thing that becomes apparently clear after working both sides of the tonnage spectrum…the difference between limited and unlimited becomes clearer…do you know what that is?.. ONE TON. Look it up if you dont believe me.

I do know that Schuyler has an associates program but…quoting from thier website "<font face=“Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular” size=“2]
There is also a two-year associate degree program in marine
technology/small vessel operations that offers a 200-ton U.S Coast
Guard mate’s license or a 1000-horsepower Designated Duty Engineer
(DDE) license.”</font>

I don’t think I have to say…but… a 200 ton mate’s license is far different from a 1600 ton masters.

GS- I really wasn’t interested in a CAMM membership until I read your post. Where do you attend meetings? Maybe I can sit with you. :slight_smile:

Sorry to burst your bubble but the CAMM is a bunch of old men who get together once a month to remember to good old days and to lament the present (not like that isn’t warranted). They come across more as a historical society that as an assocition of maritime professionals.<br><br>I’ve been to meetings in the city I live near and been invited to join as they want new members but I want to be part of a group who is in a position to really have some influence or is at least is more current to the climate of the day, Depending on one’s home there are chapters of the Nautical Institute, Propeller Club and the Navy League possibly available.<br><br>Maybe I am wrong and that it is just one particular chapter that is this way so if I am mistaken can somebody tell me what chapters are more like what I seek.<br><br>cheers

knotship,<br><br>gCaptain is part of Unofficial Networks with sites around the world but the first site we launched is UnofficialSquaw, a local ski blog for the Lake Tahoe area. 3 weeks back CAMM had their annual meeting in Reno and I decided to check up with the guys running the web site and attend the annual meeting of CAMM. My initial impression was similar to yours and that did not improve after first meeting my fellow members BUT it didn’t last long.<br><br>Yes the local chapter meetings are mostly card carrying members of AARP but under the recent guidance of their president, Captain Tom Bradley, their are making honest moves towards becoming an influential organization. They also recognize the need to recruit younger members and are working hard towards this end. <br><br>The topic most discussed at the meeting was how to answer the question “What benefit do we provide our members?” There were a myriad of answers to this but my personal reason for becoming more active is the accesibility of the organization and their williness to help. If any member has a professional question, serious or not, you can call any of the officers listed on their website and recieve help and answers from Master Mariners who have a combined experiance of thousands of days at sea.<br><br>For those who are thinking about joining check out their website, magazine and if you’re still not convinced give them a call.<br><br>-John

There are programs leading to licenses as Mate Not More Than 1600 Gross Registered Tons. Depending on the tonnage of the vessels trainees get their sea time on, the programs at Pacific Maritimer Institute, MITAGS, and U.S.M.M.A. Global Maritie & Transportation School may lead to Mate 1600 GRT.<br><br>The programs at Maine Maritime Academy (4-year) and SUNY Maritime College (2-year) lead to Mate 500 GRT.<br><br>James D. Cavo<br>Chief, Mariner Traiing & Assessment Division (NMC-2)<br>USCG National Maritime Center<br><A href="mailto:James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil]James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil</A>