What books are you reading or have finished lately

[QUOTE=farmerfalconer;194122]Staying in a hostal in Galway Ireland and found an old dusty dime-paperback tucked amongst the many romance novels.

“A Web of Salvage” by Brian Callison.

Good read, if quick. Follows two old friends running a salvage tug off Algeria geting into some trouble while attempting to salvage a Turkish freighter. Rather exciting plot and I would recommend it. Seems he (Callison) went to sea at 16 and sailed quite some time before starting his writing career so his book seemed fittingly accurate which I enjoyed. He wrote quite a few others apparently, all set at sea with merchant seaman as the main protagonists. I may need to pick a few up before my next hitch.[/QUOTE]

Callison has written some very good books. I can’t recall if I have read “A Web of Salvage”, however. Check out his “A Ship is Dying”. Great read.

Goliath: A Thriller by Shawn Corridan and Gary Waid.
Fire aboard a Russian ULCC on a secret mission and a scrappy misfit Alaskan salvage crew. Haven’t finished it yet but the technical stuff all seems up to snuff. Seems like it was on GCap’s reading list but I can’t find it right now.

I finally got around to starting RE McDermott’s DEADLY COAST. Pretty good. Lots of the same characters that were in DEADLY STRAITS. Good enough to keep me from taking my nap on the flights. . . too bad I generally only read when I travel.

Thanks to someone here a few pages back I finally got some Alexander Fullerton (Ex Sub Cmdr.) his book “in at the kill” was a killer to read. Well, He is British but though a good story it’s written in like 2-1/3rd person!!, His “60 minutes for St. George” seems more readable and much more realistic as the man obviously has lotsa sea time.

Thanks Steveoh, “last voyage of the Henry Bacon” was fine read. Also, there are 3 great works on the panama canal. McCullough’s is great and representative of all the good works on that, He also wrote on the transcontinental Rail road. A superb work which was immediately followed by another great Authors work on the same subject… and I flogged my way through all of them.
Books; like gold, they say more has been lost than what is on hand? well, books… enough great reads to last most of us a lifetime. … oh yea, Beryl Markham…“West With the Night” Exceptional, Hemingway said her writing made him look like a framer, she only wrote one book starting as a child on her fathers African Estate (no mom), made a name for herself with racing horses and first woman to fly East to West across the Atlantic.

The Undoing Project: A Friendship That Changed Our Minds. Anyone interested in the Kahneman and Tversky’s work on human decison making this is a very readable story. Same writer, Lewis that wrote Money Ball.

Best-selling author Michael Lewis examines how a Nobel Prize-winning theory of the mind altered our perception of reality.

Forty years ago Israeli psychologists Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky wrote a series of breathtakingly original studies undoing our assumptions about the decision-making process. Their papers showed the ways in which the human mind erred systematically when forced to make judgments about uncertain situations. Their work created the field of behavioral economics, revolutionized Big Data studies, advanced evidence-based medicine, led to a new approach to government regulation, and made much of Michael Lewis’ own work possible. Kahneman and Tversky are more responsible than anybody for the powerful trend to mistrust human intuition and defer to algorithms.

The Undoing Project is about the fascinating collaboration between two men who have the dimensions of great literary figures. They became heroes in the university and on the battlefield - both had important careers in the Israeli military - and their research was deeply linked to their extraordinary life experiences. In the process they may well have changed for good mankind’s view of its own mind

Does the sewage treatment plant manual count as a book? So good I read it twice. Highly recommended for those who like to puzzle over the poetic mystery of badly translated Korean.

engrish!!!

Not all winners but there is a pretty good list here:

http://navyreading.dodlive.mil/files/2012/11/CNO-Professional-Reading-Program-Guide.pdf

sewage treatment manual? WTF?? actually I always found them easy reads but these comments almost make me want to go find one again? I’m ordering “The man from Pakistan”, I think I saw part of this story in a movie somewhere?

[QUOTE=jimrr;194614]sewage treatment manual? WTF?? actually I always found them easy reads but these comments almost make me want to go find one again? I’m ordering “The man from Pakistan”, I think I saw part of this story in a movie somewhere?[/QUOTE]

If I was a clever girl, I would have put a copy in each of the public heads so that people have something to read while they’re in there. Ah well, next trip.

Now I’m reading Typhoon by Mark Joseph, about two Soviet and an American submarine cat-and-mousing under the ice in the Barents Sea at the end of the cold war. I am liking it.

I finished Deepwater Horizon: a Systems Analysis of the Macondo Disaster by our very own Earl Boebert.

Now I am reading Engineering in the Ancient World by J.G. Landels, which I found in the discards pile at the library. There’s a chapter on Greek and Roman ship construction, which is all new to me. I knew a little bit about clinker-built ships, but it turns out the Mediterranean type people did it completely differently.

Odysseus has been detained on an island by the beautiful nymph Calypso for a number of years. When is at last allowed to leave she does not conjure up a boat by magic or produce one which she had kept hidden. Instead, she presents Odysseus with a set of tools and shows him where to find suitable timber on her island. Odysseus turns out to be not merely the warrior hero of epic tradition, but also a skilled and knowledgeable craftsman. Homer clearly assumed that his audience knew about, and were interested in, the details of shipbuilding and equipment.

No wonder Penelope didn’t give up on him.

Patriot Pirates: The Privateer War for Freedom and Fortune in the American Revolution by Robert H. Patton.

Before the famous mountain climber Uli Stueck died

he was reading the book RIPTIDE by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I bought this book (e-book) out of sheer
curiosity and read it within two days. It is something for mariners and diggers and drillers and the story is located in Maine.

T for trespassing by sue Grafton
Before that was book 4 of game of thrones.
Just downloaded book 5. Will read that the next couple of hitches.

Great Recommendation!
Amazing that no matter how much things change how much they stay the same, especially in regards to the acquisitions process.

I’m in the midst of re-reading The Hunt for Red October, for what must be the 10th time, I do love the early Clancy novel’s. Some of the later ones got too convoluted and too ghost written.

2 Likes

I started this and couldn’t finish so I put it aside. Got stuck with nothing eles to read and started again. Glad I did, really enjoyed it. Intresting that Darwin so admired Humboldt.

I just finished writing a book,does that count as well?:wink:. Practical loading of Merchant Vessels. Other than that I read mostly on topic from the internet.

I’ve read a series about a cop in SA during Apartheid and the aftermath. Very informative… it was a freebie with my Amazon prime on my kindle…

Gangs of St. Louis by Daniel Waugh… 1900’s to 1980’s gangster history…

Another book about the history of organized crime in KC, Mo… KC controlled a lot of the action in 1920-1960…

Now that I’m shoreside, I don’t seem to have time to read as much… dang wife and kids

1 Like