What books are you reading or have finished lately

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;191835]Yep. He’s not your mild mannered run of the mill marine surveyor. I’m still in the early part of the story where he’s trying to prevent a gang of Chechen Muslim fanatics from blowing up a tanker rigged with explosives. The odds are stacked against him but I’m guessing he’s going to succeed.

Disclaimer: to all you Muslim fanatics out there and to the current slew of apologists in Washington - please forgive me if I have upset any of you by mentioning that the Muslim fanatics are [U]Muslim[/U] fanatics.[/QUOTE]

You are right, you should specify which fanatics you are talking about, not to confuse them with all those other fanatics out there. There are many and of all strips, religions,sects, races, tribes and political persuasions.
I believe you have more than your fair share of them right there in the USofA?

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;191838]No trigger warning?!?! These micro-aggressions won’t stand bro! The forums are a safe space for all fanatics.[/QUOTE]

Thanks heaven for that tolerance here on the forum. You are safe bro.

“Muslim fanatics” sounds like a bunch of non-believers who like to cosplay and buy merchandise and go to conventions and collect autographs. That’s probably a club membership card you should not use as a bookmark in your passport.

[QUOTE=Emrobu;191843]“Muslim fanatics” sounds like a bunch of non-believers who like to cosplay and buy merchandise and go to conventions and collect autographs. That’s probably a club membership card you should not use as a bookmark in your passport.[/QUOTE]

Are you possibly referring to the muslin fanatics? Because they actually belong in the harmless cotton family.
They are known to follow State Department guidelines to the letter and would never place bookmarks inside their passports. I’m positive they are completely innocent in this.
You can trust me, I’m a sailor.

[QUOTE=ombugge;191842]You are right, you should specify which fanatics you are talking about, not to confuse them with all those other fanatics out there. There are many and of all strips, religions,sects, races, tribes and political persuasions.
I believe you have more than your fair share of them right there in the USofA?[/QUOTE]

You ain’t whistlin’ Dixie, but it could be a lot worse…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1vOQ4Ts2tg

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;191835]Yep. He’s not your mild mannered run of the mill marine surveyor. I’m still in the early part of the story where he’s trying to prevent a gang of Chechen Muslim fanatics from blowing up a tanker rigged with explosives. The odds are stacked against him but I’m guessing he’s going to succeed.

Disclaimer: to all you Muslim fanatics out there and to the current slew of apologists in Washington - please forgive me if I have upset any of you by mentioning that the Muslim fanatics are [U]Muslim[/U] fanatics.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is the book. Read it some years back. . .I remember because I was at the place of my previous employ. . . not too bad, really. . . does get a bit over the top, but that is what entertainment books are about, right? As to the “Muslim” deal. . . well, history speaks volumes in that regard.

I like to revisit the Glencannon series for a respite once in a while. For a meatier read, I just finished the James Morrow series known as The Godhead Trilogy that has a maritime thread running through them.

In the War hawk aviation museum I saw a WW2 era book (or 1950’s?) that looked real good about shipping. I don’t think it was about the military side of the war but may of been, anyway, it was by Alexander Fullerton and I’ve not been able to find him anywhere and I am certain I didn’t misspell it. And my sister has a masters in library tech. or something and she never found it either… I believe he wrote a few books, anyone heard of him?

[QUOTE=jimrr;191900]In the War hawk aviation museum I saw a WW2 era book (or 1950’s?) that looked real good about shipping. I don’t think it was about the military side of the war but may of been, anyway, it was by Alexander Fullerton and I’ve not been able to find him anywhere and I am certain I didn’t misspell it. And my sister has a masters in library tech. or something and she never found it either… I believe he wrote a few books, anyone heard of him?[/QUOTE]

Try G-O-O-G-L-E. One click = a dozen hits

First hit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Fullerton

Okay, I guess Amazon is quietly reading my posts. . . . I got some book suggestions from them yesterday with a whole bunch of R. E McDermott books. . . and sucker that I am, I ordered them. Gonna have to slice some time out for reading. . . will revert. . .

Just finished The Mathews Men: Seven Brothers and the War Against Hitler’s U-boats by William Geroux.

1 Like

Having just discovered the buy-request form for my school library, and having heard a rumor that the new books budget needs to be spent, as noted in another thread: I’m getting drunk on power.

I mean: what new books do you guys think should be included in an academy library?

[QUOTE=Emrobu;191944]Having just discovered the buy-request form for my school library, and having heard a rumor that the new books budget needs to be spent, as noted in another thread: I’m getting drunk on power.

I mean: what new books do you guys think should be included in an academy library?[/QUOTE]

Some of the better books are not new but: “iron coffins”, “west with the night”, “the last duel”, “ringworld”, “tschiffely’s ride”, “a wing and a prayer”, “the lady be good”, “steel inferno”, “grass beyond the mountains”, “the terrible hours” are a few memorable books that contribute to changing the way a person may think. Obviously not all are maritime related nor the authors American but I don’t think any are british which may make them more readable? ha ha—oh, don’t forget "it takes a villiage’’… just kidding.

Finished, “Dead Wake”, which was excellent. Reading, “The Simple Truth” & William Crawford’s “Mariner’s Rules of the Road” right now.

[QUOTE=Quimby;191952]Finished, “Dead Wake”, which was excellent. Reading, “The Simple Truth” & William Crawford’s “Mariner’s Rules of the Road” right now.[/QUOTE]

I loved Dead Wake! Now reading Thunderstruck by the same author. It’s about Marconi and the first ship radios. So good.

[QUOTE=jimrr;191950]Some of the better books are not new but: “iron coffins”, “west with the night”, “the last duel”, “ringworld”, “tschiffely’s ride”, “a wing and a prayer”, “the lady be good”, “steel inferno”, “grass beyond the mountains”, “the terrible hours” are a few memorable books that contribute to changing the way a person may think. Obviously not all are maritime related nor the authors American but I don’t think any are british which may make them more readable? ha ha—oh, don’t forget "it takes a villiage’’… just kidding.[/QUOTE]

I always thought that Monica should write a book: It Takes a Village to Ride a Bicycle.

I think these might be good books to have in a ship’s library. The library at school has some literature, but is mostly technical.

The Norwegians have a (I don’t know the name exactly) fisherman’s welfare club. You sign up and they send books and movies to the vessel. I wonder if Canada or the US has such a service. Anyone know?

the us did when (fishermen/sailors club) it was a maritime nation!, In Tacoma down by the army boat base there is still a old seaman club building!
I’ve ordered two books you guys mentioned on here and being a ham operator I will be ordering ‘‘thunderstruck’’, thanks for that emrobu.
I couldn’t establish a ratio, it’d be low but usually the book is vastly superior to a movie… as a person usually gets more out of a radio broadcast than television…well… depending on subject matter!

[QUOTE=jimrr;192025]the us did when (fishermen/sailors club) it was a maritime nation!, In Tacoma down by the army boat base there is still a old seaman club building!
I’ve ordered two books you guys mentioned on here and being a ham operator I will be ordering ‘‘thunderstruck’’, thanks for that emrobu.
I couldn’t establish a ratio, it’d be low but usually the book is vastly superior to a movie… as a person usually gets more out of a radio broadcast than television…well… depending on subject matter![/QUOTE]

I was thinking about getting my ham lisence. Itd be a fun way to keep in touch with people I think. I got my restricted lisence for marine a few months back. None of my local clubs seem to have classes this time of year. I’ve always been interested in antennea. The book is sort of funny, it shows that Marconi had very little idea about antennea… but then again, niether did anyone else at that time.

Picking up where I left off with The Last Lion, Winston Churchill’s bio written by William Manchester. Good read for history buffs.

Yes, you are right, poorly written

Staying in a hostal in Galway Ireland and found an old dusty dime-paperback tucked amongst the many romance novels.

“A Web of Salvage” by Brian Callison.

Good read, if quick. Follows two old friends running a salvage tug off Algeria geting into some trouble while attempting to salvage a Turkish freighter. Rather exciting plot and I would recommend it. Seems he (Callison) went to sea at 16 and sailed quite some time before starting his writing career so his book seemed fittingly accurate which I enjoyed. He wrote quite a few others apparently, all set at sea with merchant seaman as the main protagonists. I may need to pick a few up before my next hitch.