USS Fitzgerald collides with ACX Crystal off coast of Japan

ECDIS is the answer

In general the watch officer would not require the assistance of the master for traffic if there is sea room to avoid heavy concentrations of fishing vessels. The same is true if the ship was in COLREGs situations with only one vessel at time.

The Korean Straits, Straits of Taiwan, Gulf of Thailand, Straits of Malacca, the China coast are examples of areas where heavy concentrations of F/Vs sometimes can not be avoided and encounters with more then one vessel at a time can be expected.

This will not work in heavy traffic, generally the COLREGs situation with a fast 20+ kts deep-draft vessel has to be resolved before starting to dodge and weave through fishing vessels.

If there is another fast, deep-draft vessel about it’s better that all maneuvers for small, slow vessels be made in a manner that keeps the deep-draft on the red side till it’s past and clear.

Colregs does not mention anywhere that you have to attend to the deep-drafted vessels first. You have to deal with all vessels the same. The least TCPA first.
If s deep-drafted vessel is fast, her TCPA would be short.
In the East China Sea, which is the worst in terms of traffic density, one should be ready to reduce speed in order to avoid any collision. Reduction in speed can usually resolve a complicated situation much better than manouevering.
Malacca Straits and the Japanese coast are not so bad except in the termination of the TSS and in the approaches to the anchorages south of Singapore.

You didn’t read what he wrote very well, did you? Go back and try again.

Have you sailed in the East China Sea lately?
I ask this question in a very straight matter-of-fact way, because you have to sail these waters to understand the situation. The traffic density is very high, the boats mix with fishing nets (with AIS transponders installed) and cargo vessels try to navigate through the maze. The line of fishing vessels departing or returning from ports can be thick. Despite all that, one has to follow the COLREGs to the hilt and not develop one’s own preferred solutions.

I’ve never seen that. What ports are you talking about?

I’ll vouch for the damn squid boats with their arc lights working right on the route between Sasebo, Japan and Ulsan, Korea… that can’t even see you through their welding goggles. Next to Nigerian fishing canoes, I think that was my least favorite run ever.

In the approaches to the Shanghai port. Or for that matter any Chinese port. When the fishing fleet departs in the morning, you will be lucky to find a gap

The lines of small vessels going into Shanghai are not fishing boats, they’re coasters.

Fishing vessels, surely.

Here is a link to AIS Marine Traffic for Shanghai, around 800 - 900 cargo vessels a day, fishing vessels are 30 or 40 a day,

I have sailed those waters for 10 years from 2005 to 2015, having to spend long hours on the bridge (as s Master) overseeing the OOW navigate through the concentration of fishing fleet and fishing nets in poor visibility. The AIS transponders are fitted on top of the buoys secured to the fishing nets. The AIS ids are mostly numbers. These fishing boats/ fishing nets cover the East China Sea and the Yellow sea, although not so much in the South China Sea. The East China Sea has now been nearly denuded of fish. I am therefore talking from my experience.

Here’s a link to yesterday’s Senate testemony by the CNO.

My favorite part was when Admiral Richardson said he “Agreed fully, 100% sir” with Senator King’s suggestion to install a radar alarm buzzer in the captain’s cabin. :flushed:

[quote=“Kennebec_Captain, post:799, topic:45129”]
I’ve never seen that. What ports are you talking about?
[/quote]I’ve seen it a few times as well. It can happen when a fishing port reopens after being closed for weather.

Those are AIS equipped. What about the rest…

I’ve been in that line. The vessels are a mix of deep-sea and coasters, most of them, by far, are coasters.

Unbelievable! Wonder if the Captain, or whatever they call him in USN, has a slave- and/or full function- radar or ECDIS display with radar overlay is his cabin.

What a joke. Richardson is a clueless bobble-head yes man.

I would agree having a slave ECDIS or whatever system in the captains day room would be helpful but the thought of a buzzer or alarm is utterly ridiculous. What scales would you set the alarm, who is tuning the radar what about rain or other background clutter. Putting a display in the captains stateroom and calling it a fix is seriously flawed thinking in my opinion addressing your bridge competency and navigational policies would be a good start to fixing the problem i’m just saying.

Get a clue Mr Richardson