If you could start all over... (new maritime careers)

The SIU used to have the Harry Lundberg School of Seamanship. In New Orleans they ran the school in the hiring hall. If you had no z-card they used the school to get you one and into the union. It was just a few weeks long–at that time, the 60s, free. I was in it in 66. I already had a z-card so I didn’t attend classes. I just lived in their town house and mopped floors in the hall and helped prepare for a banquet. Two weeks after they took me in, the union flew me to their townhouse and a ship in San Francisco. Then it was around the world on a tramp Victory.

[quote=Jemplayer;4046]Mt Skier your involved in what I think is one of the best programs for any mariner that wants to be an officer. I wish that had been around about a year sooner because by that time I was a few months away from my 100 ton and I just didn’t feel like starting over.

For those looking to start out blue water http://www.seafarers.org/phc/entry.xml I think is a good place to start, sets you well on you way to an AB and you skip having to build up to a B book. But going 7 months without a real pay check can hurt, especially if you have bills to pay. At any rate you’re going to have to go talk to the unions and get your z-card and twic.
The third option for those that just want to get on the water is head to Louisiana with a pair of steel toes, some work cloths, and start beating on doors. While those with License’s from outside the industry are having a hard time finding a job, those willing to start at the bottom shouldn’t have a hard time.
As for the engineer question, yes most of them make within $10 a day of captains, and unfortunately Capt. A’s jaded response can be pretty accurate of the bad ones.[/quote]

When I sailed for Crowley as an engineer, I made more than the captain. While our base salaries were close, I made a killing in the overtime. Most trips I would have three or four overtime sheets filled out, as opposed to the one that the captain might have. Of course they were running one man engine rooms, so it was quite a bit of work.

As far as the comment above about supply vessel engineers, well, I never had the opportunity to work (sailing, anyway) in the oil patch, but I can tell you when we used to get O&M engineers on the ITB that I was chief on, they were a real, uh, issue. This isn’t to say that there aren’t good ones. But this is to say that the good ones weren’t looking for work.

If had to do it over in this industry… Harbor tugs then Pilot somewhere.

Too many missed milestones. ie: Birthdays, Xmas, Weddings and passings.

If not out of an academy it will definitely take longer.

What a hoot! Really appreciate your post.

My family thinks I’m a piano player at a whorehouse.

It would kill them if they knew I was a boat captain!!!

If it had to be the maritime industry I would attend an academy for engineering then the recruiters would be looking for me and not the reverse. There always seems to be a shortage of good quality engineers. When you get tired of it better chance of landing something good on the hill too. Also cooking school, good cooks are always needed on the water and off.