If you could start all over... (new maritime careers)

… what career path would you take?

<br><br>I’m 30 y/o and finally getting around to listening to what I think my heart is telling me I aught to do. I’m moved by the container shipping industry; I’ve got no experience in this field, and I’m not a mariner. Ultimately, I think I’d love to work in the operations of a container/terminal port somehow. But for now I’m open to perhaps any kind of involvement I can get in the indusry.

<br><br>Some career paths are generally straightforward. You want to work in field X, you acquire knowledge and skills (school etc), impress someone by demonstrating you can do X very well, and you start your work. You want to be a dentist, you go to school and get your license. You want to be a lawyer, you go to school and pass the bar exam. Logistics and maritime careers? Not so clear to me…

<br><br>Starting from scratch, without going to an academy, what are some entry points into maritime fields?

<br><br>Does anyone here have first-hand (or second?) knowledge about the SIU entry-level (non-veteran) program?

<br><br>Thanks for reading.

<br><br>malachi7608

<strong>Guest:</strong>

malachi,

Interesting topic. I’m actually thinking about the same thing. I’m 34, and getting into a field I have no experience or background in. Change in family status is the reason (marriage). My move will be more in the Container shipping (land based) industry in particular.

What type of work can we get as a “newbie” in the business, without having to live on minimum wage?

Where’s the best place to start?

chris

Chris, I think we should talk. Both of your questions are what I’m currently dedicating myself to full-time. Email me

malachi7608 at gmail dot com

If I could start all over I would have been a GYNECOLOGIST! Yes, I would be willing to take the good with the bad. I would strive to be the very best!

Hi Folks,
I was 45 when I started over - not really by choice - but it seems to be working out. Long story short, a divorce followed by a broken leg nine days out of insurance forced me to sell off my equipment, lay every one off and shut down my business. A few months later a friend mentioned that he was attending the PMI AB to Mate program and that they had a two year Mate program that I might be interested in attending…I’ve finished up the first three school phases and am heading back to sea for the third sea phase in early March. I sailed 205 days last year and have 160 to do this year in order to complete the program. I will sit for my 1600T mate’s license before Christmas. Granted I will not be sailing deep draft, but I will have a 1600T Near Coastal with Celestial, GMDSS, TOAR, MedPro, Radar/ARPA, etc. so the job market looks good. That should leave me with 4 to 6 months a year to do…anything I want!
For what it’s worth I’ve had a varied work history - sailed 5 years in the Navy (SAR Swimmer/Sonar Tech), run high tech networks, been a snowmaking supervisor, timberframer, treefaller, and wildland fire fighting Engine Boss and IC - so change isn’t all that new!
All the best,
MTSKIER

I’m 38 and also thinking of going maritime. What I’m curious about is at my age…would it be possible to advance to a command position before I’m old ang grey? California bar pilots make $400k+ a year, but you gotta have something like 10 years of command experience to even apply. Assuming i start at the bottom…Ordinary Seaman… how many years to reach 3rd mate, 2nd mate, 1st mate, etc? If I went engineering, do those guys actually make better money? Does formal schooling help accelerate a guy faster than if he started by swabbing decks?

MTSKIER
I may be nitpicking but I believe Celestial = OCEANS not Near Coastal
I’m retired NAVY pushing oil, upward mobility is possible, if yer interested harborpilot@icqmail.com

OS to California Bar Pilot, if yer gonna aim…<strong>aim HIGH</strong>!

JT sends from Chelsea Creek

JT,
The PMI cadets come out with 500 Ton Mate Oceans, 1600 Ton Mate N/C, STCW, and a start on their TOAR if they’re sailing on tugs.

Great question malachi,
A message to Guest(s) : If you want to ask something which may lead to more dialog it would be helpful if you would create an account before you do so. With no screen name, it is difficult to distinguish Guest “A” from Guest “B” and what comments belong to whom. I don’t know how this place started but it has evolved into a place where us mariners (and non mariners) can benifit from each others experience and wisdom and at the same time laugh a little at some of the humorous things. This is a great site and I am sure if you create an account you will be back. John and the admin guys would like to see more participation and I could always use more reading material.
If I could do it all over again? Very interesting question… that could quickly become a lengthy response. I’ll get back to you.

OH BOY!!!
<strong>If I just knew then what I know now!</strong> (How many times have you said that lately?) I left the maritime industry 25 years ago to pursue aviation. It was really good until Sept. 11, 2001. Then the wheels fell off and it’ll never be the same.
If my crystal ball had been functional 15 years ago…when I was still young enough to go back to the water…it would be a no-brainer. I’d go to the bayou, or the North Sea, or Brasil. But not to the “friendly skies”.
"I’m 30 y/o and finally getting around to listening to what I think my heart is telling me I aught to do."
Listen to your heart. It may not be easy, but you’ll never wonder if you should have.
Nemo

If I could do it all over I would be an engineer. Then I could lay on the settee in the galley, play video games, watch movies, eat food, drink coffee, and send the deckhand to the basement every couple of hours. If anything broke down there, I’d call the office and then go take a nap. After my nap I’d mosey up to the Pilothouse to tell the Captain he’s a fucking idiot who doesn’t know how to drive my boat, wants to blow up my engines, can’t pump P-tanks worth a shit, and couldn’t navigate his way through the Rabbit Patch without me up there to help.
Then I’d go take another nap.
Then I’d wake up, go lay on the settee in the galley, play video games, watch movies, eat food, drink coffee, and send the deckhand to the basement every couple of hours. If anything broke down there, I’d call the office and then go take a nap. After my nap I’d mosey up to the Pilothouse to tell the Captain he’s a fucking idiot who doesn’t know how to drive my boat, wants to blow up my engines, can’t pump P-tanks worth a shit, and couldn’t navigate his way through the Rabbit Patch without me up there to help.
Then I’d wake up, go lay on the settee in the galley, play video games, watch movies, eat food, drink coffee, and send the deckhand to the basement every couple of hours. If anything broke down there, I’d call the office and then go take a nap. After my nap I’d mosey up to the Pilothouse to tell the Captain he’s a fucking idiot who doesn’t know how to drive my boat, wants to blow up my engines, can’t pump P-tanks worth a shit, and couldn’t navigate his way through the Rabbit Patch without me up there to help.
Then I’d call the Port Engineer and scream at him for being a complete idiot and by the way where is my fucking relief? Then I’d grab one of the Mates and make him go downstairs and paint.

Mt Skier your involved in what I think is one of the best programs for any mariner that wants to be an officer. I wish that had been around about a year sooner because by that time I was a few months away from my 100 ton and I just didn’t feel like starting over.

For those looking to start out blue water http://www.seafarers.org/phc/entry.xml I think is a good place to start, sets you well on you way to an AB and you skip having to build up to a B book. But going 7 months without a real pay check can hurt, especially if you have bills to pay. At any rate you’re going to have to go talk to the unions and get your z-card and twic.
The third option for those that just want to get on the water is head to Louisiana with a pair of steel toes, some work cloths, and start beating on doors. While those with License’s from outside the industry are having a hard time finding a job, those willing to start at the bottom shouldn’t have a hard time.
As for the engineer question, yes most of them make within $10 a day of captains, and unfortunately Capt. A’s jaded response can be pretty accurate of the bad ones.

A public health dentist. The opportunities to inflict pain on mariners are much better.

Sounds like a pretty boring day to me…

you work at the NEC Cavo, I would think you could do a bit of damage there also…

Capt_A,
I take offense to your post. It is ignorant comments like that which really tic me off. If you got off your A$$ from the comfortable seat in your air conditioned wheelhouse and went down below decks where those of us working people ply our trade you would realize that there are at least 5 things wrong with your statement.
I NEVER drink coffee.
By the way, that boat your driving? It ain’t your Daddys’ pickup. Take it easy on the throttles. I gotta go call the office

They are going to need to start taking OS’s for future SF bar pilot jobs… $400k isn’t enough money for this captain to risk being put up on charges for killing birds.

Cap’n A.
If he’s watching movies then the lights are on. If he’s bitching about your driving then the wheels are turning.
Time for a nap.

An Auditor…

Hi everybody…great forum.

I too am wanting to start over. I’m 34 and have been an IT professional for about 12 years. I’m doing well professionally, but I’m bored to tears. I have a B.S. in Business Information Systems, but that is about the extent of my formal education. The only maritime related education I have is a USPS boating course and an extended USCG-AUX course. :stuck_out_tongue:

If I wanted to do something like the AB to Mate program, what are the prerequisites? How long from start to finish? I see that you get out with 500 ton oceans and 1600t N/C. What kind of positions does that line you up for? What is the pay like throughout and after (do you get paid while accumulating sea time)?

Thanks in advance!