Cooking at Sea galley tips

Wisdom for Wednesday- If you aren’t sure if your eggs are any good, float test them. Fill a glass with water put the egg in. If it sinks, it’s still good. If it floats, then throw it out. (or do a real float test if you are far enough from land haha).

Learn to buy your produce in season. Thought this was an interesting article.

You might be ruining a good clutch of baluts!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Here’s something I came across the other day that works well. 1/3 thyme, 1/3 freeze-dried shallots, 1/3 sage. Grind together in a mortar and pestle (I do that for all dried herbs, brings out the flavor). Mix with butter to make a chef’s butter for cheap meat or use as a rub on chicken.

Also, if you can get hold of fresh sage, try frying a leaves in really hot peanut oil (like a few seconds), pat dry on paper towel and salt lightly. Makes a great garnish for all kinds of things.

Thanks for sharing! Sounds interesting.

I want to do a video on the top 5 (or maybe 10) mistakes new cooks make. Can I get some suggestions please? I already asked my crew and want to see what the rest of you have to say. Thanks!!

Trying to cook when the meat is still frozen!

They are doing that on the ship I’m on. The Steward is always giving meat ti the cook that’s frozen.

This sounds like a lack of communication. It sounds like they aren’t thinking about the next day. Working with frozen meat isn’t the end of the world. If it’s a roast or something you just can’t effectively sear the outside. The cook should probably ask for the next couple days meat selections in advance, but I don’t know how this is set up on your vessel. Someone needs to take some initiative. When I was cooking I had no one to blame but myself.