Cooking at Sea galley tips

Hell yes this is perfect!

1 Like

CookingatSea

Okay, here’s another-
Pea Salad
Ingredients- • 2 lb bag of cooked peas (frozen or fresh) • 8 -10 slices of cooked bacon (chopped) • 1/2 a small onion (diced) • 2 apples (cored and diced) • mayonnaise • salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything together except mayonnaise, salt, and pepper. Add 1/2 cup mayonnaise and continue to add until salad is desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.

1 Like

When you’re doing cold pasta salads, think about textures, flavors, and colors.

1 Like

If you find you need more oil in the pan when sautéing, add it in a stream along the edges of the pan so that by the time the oil reaches the ingredient being cooked, it will be heated.
Anita Lo
Annisa, New York City

Haven’t posted on here in a bit. I thought I would talk about mirepoix (pronounced something like meer pwah). In the states a recipe might say onions, carrots, and celery. For people who know something about cooking, it’s called by its French name.
Anyway, traditionally it is 2 parts onion, 1 part carrot, and 1 part celery but I’ve never measured it that way. It is often used as the flavor base for soups, stocks, and stews. Often it is cooked down to mush because the person cooking is using it for flavor and aroma. But it can also be cooked less time (in a soup for instance).
When cooking a mirepoix you are cooking it slowly, not sauteing it or trying to let it caramelize. That’s my experience anyway.

1 Like

Fusion Food is all the rage these days, but not very specific. ​​​​​​​
What is most commonly given the name Fusion Food is Eastern inspired versions of western food, but the other way around is also possible:

To start this off, here is our dinner last night.
Not cooking at sea and not sure if this dish would find favour with most on this forum;
Whale meat cooked in a typical Asian style. I did the marinating and my wife added the condiments and did the cooking.

Here it is; Fresh whale meat ready marinated with Lime juice, ABC Sambal Asli (Chilli Padi & Garlic) and Maggi Sauce:

The dish still in the wok, with added fresh ginger, mushrooms and spring onions. Some white wine in the sauce:

Delicious and consumed without the slightest pang of guilt, or any feeling of regret for eating meat from an animal that a lot of people think should not be hunted and killed.

PS> Sorry, no recipe with weight and measures, since I’m not a “recipe man”.

1 Like

How could I be surprised you are a whaler as well?

Honestly I’ll try anything once. I’m guessing this is pilot whale. Done with an eye on sustainability, pilot whale populations can be managed if not over hunted. I say hunted because if you’ve ever seen the film The Cove, there ain’t nothing appealing about slaughter stabbing of marine mammals. Nothing

1 Like

Its Minke Whale meat, which is the only whale hunted in Norway. The North Atlantic Minke Whale population is not on the threatened list and the catch is tightly regulated, based on the population estimate by the International Whaling Commission:
https://iwc.int/estimate
In fact Norwegian whalers never actually catch their full annual quota.

1 Like

If you had to compare it to something, what does it taste like? Also, any idea what parts of the whale were used in this dish? I used to work with a guy who described whale as beef like texture with a fishy taste. Curious on what your personal description would be?

1 Like

I had whale meat once in a restaurant – type unspecified. They tried to talk me out of it, but it was on the menu. Fishy steak nails it.

2 Likes

I don’t know for sure which part of the whale this meat came from, but it had very little fat and sinuses so I imagine it would have been part of the fillet., which is a fair large chunk, even of a small whale like the Minke.

What does it taste like?? Well, definitely not like chicken. :laughing:
It is more like beef and not dry, unless you overcook it. No fishy/cod liver taste if you marinate it with lime, lemon or chilli. (No ammonia, no need of vinegar, like for shark, or skate)
Here is a more professional assessment of the taste:

Some recipes for whale meat from others who are more into that sort of things:
http://herrickreport.com/whalerecipes.html

2 Likes

New cooks- learn what your oven does! On the vessel I’m on now the cook has to keep the bottom on high and the top on medium. A new cook turned them both on high and got blackened coffee cake as a result.
Also, many ovens need to be left on. These ovens are different than the one at home and take a long time to pre heat (and a long time to cool when cleaning them).

On ships from our part of the world it is normal for the 4-8 AB to fire up the galley at about 0500. Turning some elements on high,medium and low and turning on the oven so everything is up and running for the cook by 0600.

1 Like

Happens quite a bit-

The Joy of cooking says you can use all purpose for cake flour by leaving out two tablespoons per cup.

1 Like

CDC: Do not eat ANY Romaine lettuce amid E. coli outbreak – Q13 FOX News

Ha, came here to post a warning about romaine…

1 Like

Here’s a recipe I stole from NYT and dumbed down. Two pots/burners, quick, tasty and filling. Timing is a bit tricky but after you do it once it’s easy.

Ingredients:
2 oz spaghetti per planned serving.
1 1/2 to 2 eggs per planned serving
Olive oil (lots)
Roasted garlic powder (must be the roasted stuff)
Grated Parmesan (lots)

Instructions:

Add garlic powder to oil to taste and heat to your favorite egg cooking temp.

Cook spaghetti.

When spaghetti is almost done, fry eggs part way in olive oil. They’ll cook the rest when they hit the hot spaghetti.

When spaghetti is done, rinse with hot water (the raise-your-pinkie crowd will recoil in horror at this, but do it anyway or the stuff will become impossibly sticky).

Dump all the oil and eggs into the spaghetti and toss. When mixed, add the Parmesan and toss.

A nice addition is to sprinkle a handful of diced raw tomato on each serving. Or add diced cooked bacon. Lots of possibilities.

Cheers,

Earl

1 Like

A Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe I use.

Quick to prep & bake and makes 3 dozen. They disappear about as fast as I make them.

Takes about 15 minute to make if your butter is at room. And 10 minutes to bake if the oven is at temp.(375 f 190 c)

1 1/2 sticks margarine

2/3 C packed light brown sugar

1/4 C white sugar

1 1/2 tsp Vanilla or Vanilla-butter-nut flavoring

1 large Egg room temp

1/2 tsp Baking Soda

2 C all purpose Flour

1 12oz package Chocolate Chips

(Chopped Pecans or Walnuts can also be added)

Beat margarine and sugar with electric mixer until smooth
then beat in the Vanilla, Egg, and Baking Soda, Stir in Flour and when mixed stir in Chocolate Chips and continue until mixed.

Have an ungreased baking sheet ready and drop dough by heaping
Table Spoon every two inches apart. Place in the 375 f 190 c Oven for 10 minutes. When edges of cookies become golden brown at at the edges in about 10 minutes of baking remove.and cool. for a couple minutes. Then remove with spatula and place on wire rack to cool further.

I cover mine with a clean dish towel which which slows the cooling and hides the cookies from view so they will cool and can be stored
in a safe place until and appropriate time. Then a few of these can be placed in zip lock sandwich bags for portion control and issued as “take away’s”. so everyone gets his fair share.

If you are lucky enough to have Vanilla Butter Nut flavoring and add some chopped Pecans to this recipe you will likely have cookies others will beg for more. Good idea too to have plenty of fresh coffee
when the cookies are offered.

I make these for Church events, at the American Legion where I often cook, and at my Fraternal Lodges where I cook.

And as always, the quality of your ingredients will be reflected in the end product.

1 Like

Just curious. Have you ever added corn starch (Corn flour as some call it) back into your batch of flour for the TBs of flour you took out ? Then sifted the flour again to get it mixed completely ?

1 Like