Young and Looking to Learn

So I grew up right next to the water my whole life, and always watched the ships go by and wondered how I would go about getting a job on one. Well, I’ve gotten older, 23 now, and started doing research about the subject. To my surprise, the local community college opened a program in the fall. I have a scholarship that expires if not used within the next 6 months and can spot an opportunity when I see one. I scoured the college site for all the information it provided and will be going to the college to get even more information. After reading over these forums, I think this is the place I’ll get the best answers. So, that being said, I have a few questions.

1. Are the figures HERE within reason?

Following the chart, assuming my interpretation is correct, I would like to take the classes to become a tankerman(inland) and earn the ($270/day) from the start and work my sea time up from there. But also notice the AB(Near Coastal) is the same ($270/day) pay but works towards the Master 100-1600 ton paying ($800/day after 360-1080 days sea time and some classes).

Basically, I’m trying to make the most money possible, in the shortest amount of years invested despite the work as I am a very hard worker. I’ve never really been this enthusiastic about a career until now but, me being young and able, time is on my side but I’d like to make the best decisions the first time around, without error. I have nobody to consult about my questions except this forum, the college counselor, and the Internet. So please excuse any ignorance in advance. Also, to make it a bit more clear: I’m young, motivated, and extremely interested in the industry. I’m just looking for some time and headache saving advice… don’t wanna go one way and should have went another. Thank you in advance for any feedback as it will be greatly appreciated.

Heres my advice, dont lose that scholarship. Youll want to go for A/B Tankerman and take the first job available. But!! Do not work for to long (6 months) on a boat less then 200 GRT … unless you like shooting yourself in the foot. The money you saw was legit.

My advice (still learning myself) is to not chase the dollar until you get some experience and feel the industry out; learning what types of vessels you enjoy working on etc. get the papers, take the classes, and get some experience. The cash will follow. I’m still trying to decide what I want to do In the long term.

Use the scholarship and learn all you can.

[QUOTE=CurryAK;92429]Heres my advice, dont lose that scholarship. Youll want to go for A/B Tankerman and take the first job available. But!! Do not work for to long (6 months) on a boat less then 200 GRT … unless you like shooting yourself in the foot. The money you saw was legit.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Would you mind telling me how it shoots you in the foot? Does it have to do with sea time that is applicable to a new certification?

Sea time on vessels under 200grt is useless if you ever plan on getting any of the higher level licenses.

Not true…time on anything over 100 will get you to 1600/3000 master

My fault I didn’t clarify… Anything over the 1600/3000ITC threshold. It’s all in what you want to do. Bigger the boat, bigger the responsibility, bigger the potential financial reward.

I’d think 1600 master, U/L DP, running a OSV earning 180-220k/ year is decent money :slight_smile:

From there you can work on the UL ticket stuff.

I am 23 myself. My father was a commercial fisherman so I had tons of sea time and had a 100ton master at 19. I started working on crew boats and utility boats at 18. Now I’m 23 and hold 1600/3000 with a 6000itc OSV, master of towing, DP, and several other little things. I am still learning every day! I love it! I’m not really the guy to give advice as I am still up and coming, however, if I can do it anyone can! When you do get on the boat keep your mouth shut, work longer and harder that everyone else, and when you get done with that bury your head up the captains ass and try and learn something. It worked for me haha I wish you the best of luck!

Also don’t get a hard on with DP. Learn to actually run the boat. Don’t be a push button captain. I pride myself in actually be able to maneuver and live boat at the rig when necessary.

I love seeing us young guys carrying on the seafarers tradition. Also don’t ever dismiss the old timers. They can teach you things that can never be taught in school. Respect them an listen to anything they are willing to tell you. Experience is the best education. Some of these old timers have been at it 40 years or better and have probably forgot more about the sea then you and I will ever learn.
Good luck buddy!