You think you are anonymous on the Internet?

Computer guy buys a Wacom Tablet, a gadget that lets you draw picture on your computer. Reads privacy policy. Gets suspicious. Bugs own computer. Tablet is phoning home with name of every application he opens. A tablet. Like a mouse or a trackpad.

Details here. (Warning: very techie explanation)

Cheers,

Earl

3 Likes

Very instructive.

How far away are we from someone creating a startup whose whole business model is privacy. For example, a Facebook type app that pins its whole name and reputation on NOT gathering and selling your data. …how much would such an app cost? Would people be willing to pay for apps that market themselves as protecting your privacy? I know I would be willing to.

More on tracking:

Trackers Record Mouse Moves

And Kindle Too

Earl

1 Like

The Blackphone has existed for years.

Email apps Edison, Slice, and Cleanfox sell data from your email inbox.

Apps Scrape Data from Your Inbox

Earl

1 Like

And more:

500 Chrome Extensions Scraped Data

FWIW, I’m off Chrome and back on Safari.

Cheers,

Earl

2 Likes

I thought firefix was pretty good for the user along with duck duck go and trackmenot plugin.
Google got pissed after I first ran trackmenot so it does work

1 Like

How did you learn that Google knew you had trackmenot? Did you loose service or get a nasty gram from them or what?

they sent warnings to my browser, I was gob smacked
i might have been logged in to google at the time, cant remember

Has anyone else talked about an item(not on the phone but with phone present) and then got ads for said item? That freaks me out a little.

an it boss buddy of mine said he got adds for something he had never done/bought before but was talking on the phone to a buddy…

1 Like