Will Trump repeal Jones Act?

Not about how the Trump win will be affecting the Jones Act, but the rest of world of shipping: http://fairplay.ihs.com/commerce/article/4277701/trump-insider-lays-out-case-for-global-shipping-upside?utm_source=email&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=dailynewswire&mgs1=7b89omm9Ue

If what he said during campaigning is to be regarded as just BS then he MAY be less of a disaster for shipping than feared.
If he follow up on what he said, then God help all Seafarers, Americans or otherwise. (Not only Seafarers by the way, ALL OF US)

Another article about the effect of a Trump administration on world trade, thus world shipping in Splash 24/7 today: http://splash247.com/american-exceptionalism-stormy-seas/
This is also based on what he has spouted as a candidate. How much of this will be reality when he gets to the White House is an open question.

PS> How much will any of this affect the Jones Act trade? If the US economy slow down due to protectionism that could be a lot. Less US economic activity = less domestic shipping = more intensive to reduce cost of transport = more likelihood of foreign crews and/or ships in domestic trade.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;192328]The last guy was a hand maiden to big banks and business before he was officially elected…

The new lady was gonna be more of the same…[/QUOTE]

Where do you get off expecting people to educate themselves. The path of least resistance is to point fingers at the Russians for leaking evidence that your candidates are lying to your face and selling you out to the highest bidders instead of holding them accountable.
When it all falls apart, rather than face the truth, just double down and block the streets waving Mexican flags and blocking traffic while crying like spoiled children.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;192328]The last guy was a hand maiden to big banks and business before he was officially elected…

The new lady was gonna be more of the same…[/QUOTE]

all while this Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade balloon in a suit plans to rescind all regulations put in place in the last 8 years to keep these banks from raping the Nation yet again

[B]Trump Has Bank Stocks Singing ‘Hail to the Chief’[/B]

Banks will likely face fewer regulations, but could be harmed by protectionist policies

While Mr. Trump’s potential handling of the economy, trade deals and financial regulation remain open questions, the immediate issue for banks is how they will contend with a second spurt of volatility this year in reaction to a surprise populist-leaning vote in a major economy.

While rapid, post-election market moves can prove dicey for investors, trading-intensive banks such as Goldman Sachs Group Inc., J.P. Morgan and Morgan Stanley could benefit from heightened volatility. As investors adjust portfolios to reflect the electoral outcome and market reaction, trading revenue should benefit.

Because Mr. Trump hasn’t held elected office before and because his campaign eschewed detailed policy proposals, there is likely to be greater uncertainty for banks and other industries coming out of this vote than past presidential elections. But that also offers opportunity, especially when it comes to the regulatory environment.

For financials, “everything is in play,” noted FBR & Co. analyst Edward Mills in a note Wednesday morning. Uncertainty ranges from the U.S. Federal Reserve and the future of Janet Yellen’s chairmanship to the outlook for the Dodd-Frank Act and regulation to the fate of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and its head Richard Cordray, he noted.

Still, Mr. Trump’s victory could help bank stocks outperform other sectors, some analysts say. Guy Moszkowski, an analyst at Autonomous Research, said that if the volatility seen on election night persists, “you could have some significant interest rate and stock market activity. If they’re within reason, rather than a collapse in valuations, you could see a pretty active fourth quarter and first quarter next year, during the critical first 100 days of any presidency.”

Goldman and Morgan Stanley, among other banks, benefited from volatility in the third quarter after the U.K.’s Brexit vote. Mr. Moszkowski said potential policy implications of the election are harder to predict, and likely wouldn’t factor into near-term trading.

A Trump victory could lead to “a more business-friendly political climate,” said Bill Smead, who leads Seattle-based Smead Capital Management and has invested in bank stocks like J.P. Morgan and Wells Fargo for years. “We like being owners of these banks despite the overnight selloff in common stocks.”

‘Bank stocks have been besieged by Dodd-Frank regulations and a climate not conducive to supporting a stronger level of economic growth.’
—Bill Smead, Smead Capital Management 

He added: “Bank stocks have been besieged by Dodd-Frank regulations and a climate not conducive to supporting a stronger level of economic growth.”

Mr. Trump’s victory might turn bankers more hopeful of some relief on Dodd-Frank rules that have crimped some of their business lines. But there is also concern a protectionist turn in the U.S. under a Trump presidency would be a negative for the industry. Such a move could also force investors to take a tough look at banks with large international businesses.

Dodd-Frank is done for,” Karen Petrou of Federal Financial Analytics wrote in a research note Wednesday. While she said the law would only change over time, its structural assumptions about regulation are “smashed.”

For big banks, though, this could prove a threat. Populist forces on both sides of the political aisle could squeeze them, Ms. Petrou added. Mr. Trump’s campaign, for example, had spoken of a Glass-Steagall Act for the 21st century. That was the Depression-era law that created a wall between commercial- and investment-banking activities.

A decline in cross-border capital flows could hurt banks that focus on serving companies rather than individuals, as would restrictions on people movement and immigration, this person said. On the other hand, if Mr. Trump makes good on promises of U.S. infrastructure investment and lower taxes, it could boost the economy and steepen the yield curve, which could help banks, as more firms issue bonds and interest income rises, said Mr. Moszkowski.

Currencies were expected to react the most to the Trump victory, according to a J.P. Morgan strategy report last week, since “his protectionist trade measures (tariffs on Chinese and Mexican imports) are easiest to implement via executive order” than a fiscal program requiring congressional approval.

The note added: “Although Trump fiscal proposals are negative for Treasurys over the medium term, his bellicose trade rhetoric probably dominates near-term to weaken risky markets, so would push back expectations of Fed tightening.”

Any delay in Fed tightening would hurt profitability prospects of a host of Main Street banks that collect interest income that generally rises along with Fed interest rates.

But banks stocks, despite a bounce earlier this week, remain relatively cheap versus other sectors, said David Kelly, chief global strategist at J.P. Morgan Chase. He added that financial shares could benefit from higher interest rates, which are expected in the long term. And if Mr. Trump follows through on reducing regulations, financials could also benefit.

The main driver of bank shares, though, will be economic growth and it will take time to see if the new political reality produces that. “Clearly populism is a very successful political strategy,” Mr. Kelly said. “But whether it turns out to be a very successful economic strategy is another question entirely.”

you people are ultimate FOOLS if somehow this CLOWN is going to stand up to big banks…Christmas for them is on Jan. 20th next year

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;192338]Where do you get off expecting people to educate themselves. The path of least resistance is to point fingers at the Russians for leaking evidence that your candidates are lying to your face and selling you out to the highest bidders instead of holding them accountable.
When it all falls apart, rather than face the truth, just double down and block the streets waving Mexican flags and blocking traffic while crying like spoiled children.[/QUOTE]

If the result had been the other way it may not have been flag waving demonstrators on the streets.
But could it get worse?:

[QUOTE=lm1883;192343]Clinton was going to roll back Dodd Frank as well. In fact she told Goldman Sachs (at the rate of $250,000 for 20 minutes) that it was unsound regulation that was passed for political expediency, nothing more. She went on to tell them that reform should come from within the financial industry itself and that government should more or less be hands off. She wasn’t going to stand up to the big banks either, in fact she was in their pockets. It turns out that almost 10% of TARP was kicked back to the Democratic Party in the form of donations over the course of a number of years. The hypocrisy is killing me.

The transcripts of that speech as well as other ones complimentary to the financial industry are on Wikileaks.[/QUOTE]

believe all you want but this Nation and its economy stands to be turned up onto its head in the next two years. we have now BOZO D. TRUMP who made so many promises about protecting American jobs and getting everyone back to work which can basically be done in this globalized world only with putting up massive protectionist barriers to foreign competition which is great as long as everyone knows that the cost for EVERYTHING we buy is going to double or even triple if we do. That was tried in the 1920’s with the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act of 1930 which pretty much all scholars recognize as pushing the US over a cliff at the beginning of the Great Depression and made is much worse than it ever needed to be. You do realize that with such barriers to trade the value of the dollar in the global economy will pretty much vaporize and US GDP will not go up but down because people simply will not be able to afford to buy anything other than essentials. With drastically reduced consumer spending, there will end up not being any new employment Trump promises unless it is all from government spending but since the US tax base is going down due to reduced taxes on the wealthy and less income to tax from the rest of the population, all that spending would have to be either borrowed and good luck with that when our markets are closed off (unless usury interest rates are agreed to) or roll the printing presses and we have the kind of inflation which none of us has ever dared to fear. Think Venezuela here!

of course, there is also defaulting on all trillions we owe the rest of the world which DONALD J. MADOFF has speculated doing or at least telling everyone we owe money to that they’ll only be getting back a nickle on every dollar invested in the US and then see the fun and games ensue. The USA becomes the biggest deadbeat in world history and a pariah state like no other ever. Russia and China fill the vacuum in becoming global leaders as we are pelted with rotten fruit all because LESS THAN HALF of the voters otherwise known as “Trump’s Merry Band of Deplorables” were so PHUCKING STOOPID to see how it was impossible for him to deliver on his ridiculous promises of restored greatness and that it was all BULLSHIT LYING coming out of his facial rectal discharge port.

of course, that GREAT GASBAG DRUMPF would never go down quietly so would channel his inner Dick Cheney and out comes the big guns and before you can say “aluminum tubes” we’re at war again this time with nations who used to be our friends as well as those who have always been our enemies. That’s ok because we still have the biggest GODDAMNED military on the planet and can afford to fight a dozen conflicts simultaneously without anyone loosing their chocolate ration! That is provided the wars don’t drag on for decades which is best accomplished using our ready supply of nukes.

Mr Trump, the Republican nominee, was said to have posed the question during an hour-long briefing on foreign affairs, saying: “If we have nuclear weapons why can’t we use them?”

nice to contemplate this morning…don’t you agree?

Trump spent most of his life as a democrat and it will be scary for most politician (especially republicans) to have someone that will see to get things done first and foremost. I am no fan of the president elect, but I am very curious on how a business background will be received on capital hill at the present time. He ran his campaign like a business - very lean, not nearly the resources, but was successful in the end. I put very little value in campaigns in terms of drawing any type of conclusion on anybody. When you have professional political machines that have only one purpose - to construe comments, shape opinion, and frame a context to your own benefit so you can win POWER, I am not that naive in believing this in done in good faith by any party. The best thing at this point is to measure actions going forward. Actions speak louder than words.
If Trump’s actions reflect the perception shaped by the opposition and the main stream media, I am certain he will not last long. But, I doubt that would be the case. Stay tuned to an interesting and hopefully (for all of us) - a successful 4 years.

The only thing I know for sure is my pay has halved in recent years and my medical insurance is going from $280/month to $1100/month come January 1st. That is something tangible that I have personally experienced. This will also be consistent with a lot of union workers located in the “rust belt” that had similar plans that are defined as “cadillac plans”.

This is interesting. I think the person who is the most shocked that Trump won is Donald Trump. God only knows what he is going to do. He was not big on details during the race. Five years ago he was a democrat. He is a deal maker, AKA a salesman. He made the sale, now he will worry about the details

not at all…I said protectionism is fine and would be healthy in the long run provided consumers are ready to pay MORE for everything from plastic toys at Walmart to a power drill at Sears to a pair of jeans at Kohls to a sheet of steel plate. The problem is that Americans don’t want to pay more and are now conditioned to having all they desire at artificially low prices. Try now to take that away and see what you get?

I remember the late 80’s and 90’s when the great loss of manufacturing in the US really gained momentum but at some point we went over the line and went full tilt for cheap imported products vs. expensive American ones. Now trying to ween ourselves off the crack cocaine of cheap crap is not an addiction which we can give up easily. Here Trump offers nothing to tell us the magic he has up his sleeve to get all these manufacturing jobs back without it having a great cost overall? We’ll never be an exporter to the world again so it has got to be homebased?

First needs to be tariffs on steel and oil imports to get those two industries stabilized. Think how jobs would come back to our industry if there was a tariff of $5 on every barrel of crude oil brought into the US except prices will go up at the pump a quarter. Also ban all imports of refined oil products but that will add to costs. Further, only allow steel ingots to be imported so that we can at least have the jobs in the rolling mills to finish the steel but higher prices for steel shapes and plate will result.

For me, take the short term pain for the long term gain but how much pain will be tolerated by today’s lazy Americans who don’t want to spend more to save their own jobs?

thanks for recognizing that

but I think your selling the public short.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

-H.L. Mencken

Tuesday proved the that one yet again…if Drupft is a genius at anything, it is knowing this simple truth. He won by conning the gullible and my only prayer today is when they discover they’ve been swindled, these unwashed rubes will come after him as they have no other President, EVER! May his final disgrace make Richard Nixon’s downfall look like a Sunday picnic in July.

of course by then, all the hideous damage will be done and yet again a Democrat will have to step in to clean up the carnage

You can’t believe anything he said as he flip-flop every few days. First wages are too high, then he would raise min wage, then he wouldn’t but hoped states would. I believe actions speak louder than words and as I posted he has used both legal and illegal cheap labor his entire career. He started out repeating that wages are too high for business and currently brings in cheap foreign labor for his own business.

[QUOTE=c.captain;192354]Think how jobs would come back to our industry if there was a tariff of $5 on every barrel of crude oil brought into the US except prices will go up at the pump a quarter. Also ban all imports of refined oil products but that will add to costs.[/QUOTE]

Why not $10 a barrel on crude imports and $15 a barrel on refined oil imports?

US refineries couldn’t keep up with demand right now if we banned all refined imports but a tax on imports would at least make them economically viable.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;192400]Why not $10 a barrel on crude imports and $15 a barrel on refined oil imports? US Refineries couldn’t keep up with demand right now but that would at least make them economically viable.[/QUOTE]

I’m down with that and if refinery expansion or new construction is not curtailed so much the better for the Nation. People here should know that although a Democrat, I do not hold with the overreaching power held by environmentalists and that they are a real impediment to economic growth in the Nation. There must be a balance of cost/benefit considered for any major industrial project. If there are enough benefits to outway the costs, the environmental Nazis, the idiotic Tribes and the NIMBY types need to be told to STFU and stand aside.

Build new refineries, drill offshore where ever there is energy to be produced, build pipelines where ever they can get that energy to the new refineries and most of all stop believing that if we stop producing fossil fuels we’ll heal the planet. The damage is done and we do not have the power to turn global warming around so we need to determine how best to counter the negative consequences of it. It won’t be cheap but the planet simply does not have an alternative to fossil fuels which is cost effective. To try to stop using them will only drive the global economy into a place none of us ever wants to contemplate going.

global industry and wealth of Nations is so closely bound to low cost easily transported energy that is must be realized that it is essential that we keep developing those resources lest the standard of living of EVERYBODY go back to the early 1800’s. Global industrial output will collapse without oil and gas (coal on the otherhand is such a yesterday type of energy). Without oil and gas there will be no transportation or manufacturing anyone can afford.

[QUOTE=c.captain;192405]I’m down with that and if refinery expansion or new construction is not curtailed so much the better for the Nation. People here should know that although a Democrat, I do not hold with the overreaching power held by environmentalists and that they are a real impediment to economic growth in the Nation. There must be a balance of cost/benefit considered for any major industrial project. If there are enough benefits to outway the costs, the environmental Nazis, the idiotic Tribes and the NIMBY types need to be told to STFU and stand aside.

Build new refineries, drill offshore where ever there is energy to be produced, build pipelines where ever they can get that energy to the new refineries and most of all stop believing that if we stop producing fossil fuels we’ll heal the planet. The damage is done and we do not have the power to turn global warming around so we need to determine how best to counter the negative consequences of it. It won’t be cheap but the planet simply does not have an alternative to fossil fuels which is cost effective. To try to stop using them will only drive the global economy into a place none of us ever wants to contemplate going.

global industry and wealth of Nations is so closely bound to low cost easily transported energy that is must be realized that it is essential that we keep developing those resources lest the standard of living of EVERYBODY go back to the early 1800’s. Global industrial output will collapse without oil and gas (coal on the otherhand is such a yesterday type of energy). Without oil and gas there will be no transportation or manufacturing anyone can afford.[/QUOTE]

I’m not even a Democrat and I find your comments astonishing. The NODAPL protesters have a legitimate gripe, and offhandedly dismissing them as “NIMBY” types means you did not bother to find out what their gripes were about. You surprise me.

[QUOTE=catherder;192417]I’m not even a Democrat and I find your comments astonishing. The NODAPL protesters have a legitimate gripe, and offhandedly dismissing them as “NIMBY” types means you did not bother to find out what their gripes were about. You surprise me.[/QUOTE]

ok, then enlighten this ignorant boob as to what their REAL and LEGITIMATE objections are so we can debate this issue?

Latest for a Canadian company:

http://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/heartless-foreign-workers-to-replace-canadian-crews-aboard-local-shipping-company-tankers/

Hopefully Trump doesn’t mess with the Jones Act otherwise our US ships would likely be reflagged overnight.

[QUOTE=c.captain;192427]ok, then enlighten this ignorant boob as to what their REAL and LEGITIMATE objections are so we can debate this issue?[/QUOTE]
the protestors are all from the GoM, they know the more oil flows south the less jobs in the GoM

This all sounds like the conversation in “Idiocracy” when Luke Wilson “Not Sure” is gonna fix all the countries problems, “IN ONE WEEK!” Acolytes tickle me.