Which way should I go?


#1

I need to renew by August. I currently hold 200ton NC with STCW. Not all the STCW but enough for what I was doing, which was passenger ships to Canada and parts of Caribbean. Now I am currently working, with only a limited time for study. And needless to say I want to act before any rules change.

So the question is should I be studying for Oceans or upgrade. I believe that I just need Celestial for Oceans, based on the most recent checklist I could find. Of course I need more for upgrade. I don’t have time to study for both, so which would serve me best. I have study material for either option

My assumption is that after the rules change I will be “stuck” with whatever I have at the time. All comments welcome to help me clarify my mind.


#2

FWIW, I have chosen to get my 500 GRT upgrade from 200GRT before taking Celestial, GMDSS, and ARPA. The reasons are based upon the proposed rule changes for the USCG to fully implement STCW.

Lots of threads and posts on here about the subject, and for me getting a 500 GRT NC will open up some of the doors I am looking for.

Good luck, and I would think upgrading might be in your best interest…


#3

You should do the upgrade. That will get you more money and you can always do celestial later. There will be STCW requirements to upgrade though. You should probably just renew and then upgrade once you find out what you need to do for the upgrade. The reason I say that is you don’t want to jeapordize not having your license renewed in time because of complication involved in upgrading. My point is having Oceans on a limited license does not necessarily = More cash, but having a bigger license on a bigger boat almost always means more money.


#4

[quote=Conspearasea;27280]FWIW, I have chosen to get my 500 GRT upgrade from 200GRT before taking Celestial, GMDSS, and ARPA. The reasons are based upon the proposed rule changes for the USCG to fully implement STCW.

Lots of threads and posts on here about the subject, and for me getting a 500 GRT NC will open up some of the doors I am looking for.

Good luck, and I would think upgrading might be in your best interest…[/quote]

FWIW, I think you are going about it the right way. Well the comment period came and went…I wonder when the next updates will come on the Rule Change implementation?


#5

I agree with Capt. Lee. Do the upgrade for the bigger license. Celestial can wait. Celestial won’t always get you more money is a correct statement.

good luck


#6

Go for the Upgrade, EXCEPT the USCG may implement the NEW RULES before you have a chance to complete your training or testing. Check out this THREAD: http://gcaptain.com/forum/maritime-training-licensing/4227-impact-united-states-coast-guard-proposed-rulemaking-professional.html


#7

[QUOTE=CaptMike04530;27316]Go for the Upgrade, EXCEPT the USCG may implement the NEW RULES before you have a chance to complete your training or testing. Check out this THREAD: http://gcaptain.com/forum/maritime-training-licensing/4227-impact-united-states-coast-guard-proposed-rulemaking-professional.html[/QUOTE]

This brings up another related question, which I know that no-one yet can really answer, but if I am approved to test in time will the approval be honored? I wonder if there is a “grace” period.


#8

Thats WHY we need YOUR HELP and write a letter to YOUR congressperson to request just such a transition period for ALL mariners!