Where to go for work?

I’m currently furloughed from my job as AB on supply boats in the GOM. I’d love to stay with the company I’m at but, I don’t know if they have any intention of calling me back to work. I have been furloughed for 2 months now, I’ve been doing fill in work on a boat I previously worked on in Georgia but, it’s not permanent. I’ve pounded the pavement in the GOM hard with no luck, I’ve even tried using a head hunter. My plan is to head out to Seattle to try to get on tugs. I’ve tried applying online to companies all over, I think my best chance of employment is to pound pavement and knock on doors. But is Seattle my best bet? Or would my chance be better in the NE? Or somewhere else? I’m not stuck on any location. But I’d prefer to still work as AB. Any advice is much appreciated!

harley ny just put a post up couple days ago for an AB.

Msc…

[QUOTE=dncartersweatte1993;157850]I’m currently furloughed from my job as AB on supply boats in the GOM. I’d love to stay with the company I’m at but, I don’t know if they have any intention of calling me back to work. I have been furloughed for 2 months now, I’ve been doing fill in work on a boat I previously worked on in Georgia but, it’s not permanent. I’ve pounded the pavement in the GOM hard with no luck, I’ve even tried using a head hunter. My plan is to head out to Seattle to try to get on tugs. I’ve tried applying online to companies all over, I think my best chance of employment is to pound pavement and knock on doors. But is Seattle my best bet? Or would my chance be better in the NE? Or somewhere else? I’m not stuck on any location. But I’d prefer to still work as AB. Any advice is much appreciated![/QUOTE]

Did you work for HOS with the subs?

I wouldn’t recommend it but I know ECO is always looking for guysnfor their boats on military contracts with a Secret Clearance

I applied to MSC when I saw the writing on the wall. After about 40 days they turned me down. Not sure why I have a spotless background and pretty good credentials…

• Updated - - -

I’ll have to give Harley another try. I put a application in before I was furloughed but, not sure if they were hiring then.

[QUOTE=dncartersweatte1993;157923]I applied to MSC when I saw the writing on the wall. After about 40 days they turned me down. Not sure why I have a spotless background and pretty good credentials…

• Updated - - -

I’ll have to give Harley another try. I put a application in before I was furloughed but, not sure if they were hiring then.[/QUOTE]

Yeah worth a try…I have yet to hear from anyone, including myself, who has gotten a response from them…but you never know.

[QUOTE=dncartersweatte1993;157923]I applied to MSC when I saw the writing on the wall. After about 40 days they turned me down. Not sure why I have a spotless background and pretty good credentials…

• Updated - - -

I’ll have to give Harley another try. I put a application in before I was furloughed but, not sure if they were hiring then.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t take it personally with MSC. They get a lot of applications. It’s competitive for deck guys. I don’t think they hire ABs very often. It wasn’t you, I’m sure.

From what I’ve seen in contracted AB training courses and from the MSC ABs I’ve meet, it appears that MSC hire (I’m sure there are exceptions) ABs mostly from their Supply Utility and Ordinary Seaman ranks.

…but…their AB announcement is still open. So they still need’em.

[QUOTE=Xavier6162;158031]From what I’ve seen in contracted AB training courses and from the MSC ABs I’ve meet, it appears that MSC hire (I’m sure there are exceptions) ABs mostly from their Supply Utility and Ordinary Seaman ranks.

…but…their AB announcement is still open. So they still need’em.[/QUOTE]

He can re-apply…or contact one of their recruiters and see if he can get a reason for decline, if he’s curious.