What's New in the Tug and Barge World?

PSA Marine getting 13 new tugs (yard not stated):

Typical of the way things are done in the world of ship equipment supplies:

https://www.psamarine.com/businesses/towage/

That’s a serious barge

You need big barges to move big stuff, like hull blocks between shipyards:
Segments of an Ultra Large Container Ship being offloaded at a shipyard.

Or this one, just widened to load, transport and launch floating wind turbines:

And that’s a wrap… Cook Inlet Tug & Barge, LLC Prudhoe Bay season is complete! We accomplished a lot between July 14 and October 3rd! A big shout out to our team for a safe and productive season and our excellent customers for a successful 2023 summer all around!
Source: Maasmond Newsletters

1 Like

Maybe this one is available?:

New York City Prison Barge, The Vernon C. Bain Center (VCBC), is an 800-bed jail barge that is designed to handle inmates from medium- to maximum-security in 16 dormitories and 100 cells. It resides on the East River approximately one mile west of SUNY Maritime College.

PS> It doesn’t meet USCG requirements for safe and easy escape routes.

Cook Inlet Tug & Barge, LLC tugs Dr HANK KAPLAN and BERING WIND keeping Alaskan commerce moving. Photo: unknown via Maasmond Newsclippings

To make mistakes in a simulator is a lot cheaper than to make them in real live operations:

Veteran salvage tug “SA AMANDLA”, ex John Ross (now the “ICONIC 09”) leaving South Africa for the last time bound for India. Her last port was East London:

A sad sight and brought a tear to the eyes of many a tugman.

2 Likes

312 ton bollard pull tug “ALP Striker” of ALP Maritime Services arriving in Vlissingen Sloehaven with the impressive barge “H-851” of Heerema Marine Contractors.

Photos: Wim Kosten – www.maritimephoto.com (c)

1 Like

The American tug “PATTON GRACE MORAN” seen mooring in the port of Miami. In the background the tug “HAWK”. Photo: Cees van der Kooij (c)

The tug MISS GLORIA on the nove with Great Lakedredging’s split hopper barge GL 702 during dredging works in the port of Freeport, Texas.
Photo: Bas Coppes www.planbmarinesolutions.com/

Anybody here with the right contacts?:

Within the next week or two the former SA JOHN ROSS will be beached at Alang, India, and shortly thereafter recycled. After an illustrious career this much-loved vessel will cease to exist and live on only in photographs and memory. Everyone on this group is aware of this. This fate can possibly still be avoided if a buyer can be found. I have been in contact with the current owner for some time, and this option was still open a few days ago when we last corresponded. I am personally financially unable to raise the funds required for such a purchase. If I were able to, I would have already. My endeavours to find a suitable buyer have been unsuccessful thus far. That is why I am putting this out here now. Time is no longer a luxury. If anyone on this group knows of any person or organization who might be interested or worth approaching, please come forward. I am fully aware this is a long shot, likely an inexperienced naive one, but every option is worth a try. Once the lovely old girl is gone, it cannot be undone, the opportunity to save her will be spent. But while she still lives, so does hope. Source : Ian Summerfield - i.summerfield7@ntlworld.com

What is the scrap value? How much money would it take to buyer her?

Of course buying her is only a small beginning of the future expenses.

1 Like

Sorry, too late. She was beached on Christmas Eve:

But she kept up her speed until the end:

PS> Her name during the final voyage was ICONIC 09:

A very unfortunate end to the famous South African tug JOHN ROSS