What do you mean by knocking on doors?

I see a lot of people suggesting “knocking on doors” I live in the New York area and am just wondering, should I on my day off literally print out the addresses and just show up with a resume at McCallister, Moran, Henry Marine, Weeks Marine, Harley etc. etc. etc. and just ask?

If so what should I put on? I usually have khakis, a button down and a tie for any job just so I look presentable, or would work wear be better? In my current job I just have carhartts etc.

What would I say do etc? I have a few offers on the table but it’s just always been a dream to work on a tug.

I am ready to leave that day if they take me, although I’m sure that’s not realistic at all.

I did EXACTLY that on Richmond Terrace back in 2006. I ended up going to KSEA simply because it was next to McAllister and would end up snagging a better paying gig at KSEA.

Khakis and a decent shirt should be fine, consider yet audience.

[QUOTE=Jolly Tar;67091]I did EXACTLY that on Richmond Terrace back in 2006. I ended up going to KSEA simply because it was next to McAllister and would end up snagging a better paying gig at KSEA.

Khakis and a decent shit should be fine, consider yet audience.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I know it’s a typo, but one should always be comfortable before an interview. . . . . .

Ok, is there a best time or anything like that?

What would you say?

I have been compiling a list of all of the companies that do any kind of work with ships and there addresses and am planning on rearranging my schedule so I can just do like 2 or 3 days in a row of just riding my bike to the office and giving a resume and talking to anyone who will listen.

Sadly I am only qualified as a wipe or OS so i’m not sure how much opportunity there is, the web sites only seem to be looking for AB’s.

Apply to Buchanan marine. Heard they were looking for some deckhands. Worth a shot.

[QUOTE=tank3355;67090]I see a lot of people suggesting “knocking on doors” I live in the New York area and am just wondering, should I on my day off literally print out the addresses and just show up with a resume at McCallister, Moran, Henry Marine, Weeks Marine, Harley etc. etc. etc. and just ask?

If so what should I put on? I usually have khakis, a button down and a tie for any job just so I look presentable, or would work wear be better? In my current job I just have carhartts etc.

What would I say do etc? I have a few offers on the table but it’s just always been a dream to work on a tug.

I am ready to leave that day if they take me, although I’m sure that’s not realistic at all.[/QUOTE]

You nailed it in one. That is exactly what is referred to. It works well in Louisiana and it will probably work in New York too. The resume is not too important for the companies but it will help you to have all the relevant information for filling forms. But take a few extra just in case. And definitely be ready to work immediately.

I did EXACTLY that on Richmond Terrace back in 2006. I ended up going to KSEA simply because it was next to McAllister and would end up snagging a better paying gig at KSEA.